• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Courier-Mail - 5/01/09 'Baby in intensive care after suspected Ecstasy dose'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Baby in intensive care after suspected Ecstasy dose
Article from: The Courier-Mail
Janelle Miles
January 05, 2009 02:55pm

CHILD safety officers are investigating the case of a baby girl whose heart stopped after she was given a suspected ecstasy pill.

The two-and-a-half-month-old baby was reported to be in a stable condition in the Cairns Base Hospital today.

Ambulance officers were called to a Cairns home about 10.30am yesterday and found the baby in a serious condition.

Authorities suspect she had been given half an ecstasy tablet about 90 minutes earlier.

The baby, who at one stage went into cardiac arrest, was placed in an induced coma and was being cared for in an intensive care ward overnight.

But she has improved and is expected to be transferred to a children's ward later today.

Police have interviewed the infant's parents and are waiting for sample results to identify what the child swallowed.

Investigations are continuing.

News.com.au

Baby improves
Monday, January 5, 2009
© The Cairns Post

A BABY girl whose heart stopped after she was given a substance believed to be ecstasy has rallied following treatment at the Cairns Base Hospital today.

The two-month-old baby had a seizure at about 9am at a home in Behan St, Manunda, yesterday.

Emergency services arrived at the scene at about 10.30am, with authorities suspecting she had been given half an ecstasy tablet about 90 minutes earlier.

The baby, who at one stage went into cardiac arrest, was placed in an induced coma and was being cared for in an intensive care ward last night.

But she has improved and is expected to be transferred to a children`s ward later today, and make a full recovery.

Child safety officers are investigating the case.

Police have interviewed the infant's parents and are waiting for sample results to identify what the child swallowed.

Cairns Post

WTF 8o

If this was deliberate then I hope whoever was responsible is punished to the full extent of the law. :X

Absolutely disgusting!!!!! :!

^^^ Thats my views exactly, very sad news
even if it was laying on the floor, a 2 month old wouldnt be able to crawl around itself and put it in its mouth..

I don't know what irresponsible fucks would store their ecstasy in a place their infant child can find them but surely they deserve to be punished severely. Hopefully they incarcerate those responsible for a considerable period of time!
KEEP YOUR DRUGS AWAY FROM WHERE CHILDREN HAVE ACCESS TO THEM!! (unless your children are teenagers and its just a little pot ;p)

Disgusting, I hope whoever let a child get access to those pills (unintentionally or, heaven forbid, otherwise) is punished severely.

News - Baby Overdoses on Ecstasy in Cairns

Baby harm charges laid

Monday, January 5, 2009

© The Cairns Post

BREAKING NEWS: A COUPLE has been charged after their baby allegedly overdosed on the street drug ecstasy at a Cairns unit.

The man, 24, and woman, 22, will appear in Cairns Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

Both have been charged with grievous bodily harm and possession of a dangerous drug.

Ambulance officers rushed the baby girl, who is two-and-a-half months old, to Cairns Base Hospital after she went into cardiac arrest at a unit at Behan St, Manunda, about 9am yesterday.

Police are alleging that she had ingested half an ecstasy tablet.

The baby was placed in an induced coma and remained in intensive care until today when her condition improved and she was transferred to the pediatrics ward.

Police said the couple, from Victoria, had been holidaying in Cairns.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/01/05/22271_local-news.html

I just caught what was most of this story on the local news here. They said on the news that the baby went into seizures as well but is expected to make a full recovery.

How does this happen?

Victorian couple charged after baby 'swallows drug'
Georgia Waters
January 5, 2009 - 5:16PM

A Victorian couple has been charged with grievous bodily harm after a baby girl was hospitalised after allegedly ingesting drugs.

Police allege the two-and-a-half month old girl arrived at Cairns Base Hospital over the Christmas and New Year period in a critical condition, believed to have been caused by taking dangerous drugs.

The couple were holidaying in Cairns over the Christmas and New Year period, detectives from the Cairns Child Protection and Investigation Unit said.

The baby remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition and police investigations are continuing.

A 24-year-old man and 22-year-old woman will appear in Cairns Magistrates Court tomorrow each charged with possessing a dangerous drug and grievous bodily harm.

The Age

Given the amount of 4-MMC floating around Cairns, I'm not surprised that they need to do some lab work before confirming the substance swallowed was actually an "ecstasy" pill. :|

I watched this in unbelief on TV this arvo I was so angry at these so called parents if I was their next door neighbour I would of gone to their front door knocked on it and been like, Oh so I see you gave your baby an XTC tablet your the maddest cunts I've ever met in fact your so fucking cool I think I might bash your heads in with this baseball bat * Mushi cracks open their skulls* Ahhh that's better now I think feel you are in the same realm to speak with humans.

Sorry just had to vent that, these people should be locked away for life and their child, if survives, should have the choice in whether to visit them or not.

God people like this make me sick, why can people like this be able to have children when other are not even blessed with being able to conceive...

These people lack appropriate parenting skills...

and have further increased the reputation of "Ecstacy" as a dangerous, deadly, death-inducing drug in the eyes of the average citizen.

It obviously was a mistake, but adults over 30 shouldn't be fucking around with MDMA while raising a baby.

[EDIT: Not necessary. hoptis]

Given the amount of 4-MMC floating around Cairns, I'm not surprised that they need to do some lab work before confirming the substance swallowed was actually an "ecstasy" pill. :|

Could a child of that age swallow a capsule of 4-MMC ?

Last edited:
Anon Ymous said:
It obviously was a mistake, but adults over 30 shouldn't be fucking around with MDMA while raising a baby.

Why shouldn't parents in their 30's, if they are responsible people (unlike those in this article), be able to partake in use of MDMA if they so choose? As long as use of any substance isn't affecting their ability to raise and care for their child, what's the difference between that and having a few drinks every now and then?

Why shouldn't parents in their 30's, if they are responsible people (unlike those in this article), be able to partake in use of MDMA if they so choose? As long as use of any substance isn't affecting their ability to raise and care for their child, what's the difference between that and having a few drinks every now and then?

I agree with you Mr Blonde, maybe it's because I am more mature *cough* (older). But it doesn't matter how old you are, a 30 something with a baby or an 18 yo with a younger sibling or friend, be responsible with your drugs people, FFS.

If these guys willingly gave that baby e, lock em up and throw away key!

Statement withdrawn. I'd prefer people taking MDMA over getting drunk in any case scenario where a baby is involved. Sorry man, this withdrawal is fucking with me, can't think straight...

I got nothing against people who are older than me. I prefer them over people my age. More life experience and less fucked upness.

I didn't see the article which stated that they were over 30.... This is the only one I saw with an age in it...

A 24-year-old man and 22-year-old woman will appear in Cairns Magistrates Court tomorrow each charged with possessing a dangerous drug and grievous bodily harm.

Whether 30+ or <18, it all comes down to common sense. If your going to do drugs when you have a child then they should be kept out of said childs reach

And if it turns out that it was deliberatly administered to the child then they should be chemically castrated for it.

...and less fucked upness.

You think? I see plenty of older fuck ups - and they don't even take drugs. :)

And then there are stories like this one worded to imply the child was given half a pill by its parents?? If true, maybe they thought it would "settle" the child - how fucking dumb...

Ecstasy baby couple face Cairns court
By Janelle Miles and Peter Michael
The Courier-Mail
January 06, 2009 12:01am

THE parents of a 10-week-old baby girl whose heart stopped after she was allegedly given the illegal party drug ecstasy will appear in Cairns Magistrate's Court today.

The baby, who at one stage went into cardiac arrest, was taken to Cairns Base Hospital suffering "fits and convulsions" on Sunday after allegedly being fed half an ecstasy tablet.

She was immediately put in an induced coma and treated in intensive care and was last night reported to be in a serious but stable condition in the Cairns Base Hospital.

Detectives from the Cairns Child Protection and Investigation Unit yesterday charged a 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman from Victoria with one count each of grievous bodily harm and possessing a dangerous drug.

Police allege the couple was holidaying in Cairns over the Christmas and New Year period when the baby was brought to the Cairns Base Hospital in a critical condition.

Ambulance officers were called to a Cairns home about 10.30am on Sunday and found the baby in a serious condition.

Authorities suspect the infant had been given half an ecstasy tablet about 90 minutes prior to their arrival.

Investigations into the incident are continuing.

Medical experts yesterday said most two-month-old babies did not have the fine motor skills necessary to pick up small objects such as a tablet let alone the swallow mechanism to consume such an item.

But doctors say cases of parents giving their children illegal drugs are rare.

Ecstasy, which has been linked to deaths in adults, can affect breathing, heart rate and blood pressure.

An analysis of 165 NSW child killings between 1991 and 2005, published in the latest Medical Journal of Australia, found that five children's deaths involved them being given methadone.

Sydney-based psychiatrist Olav Nielssen said that, in most cases, parents had given their children methadone intending to sedate them, rather than kill them.

"The findings of this study suggest that take-away methadone should not be given to addicts with children in their care," Dr Nielssen said.

Courier-Mail