Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - Children sell toys for drugs - 21st August 05

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Children sell toys for drugs
By CATHERINE MADDEN
21aug05

WA children are selling their PlayStations to buy amphetamines.

The state's only detox clinic for young people has revealed that children as young as 14 are selling toys and stealing from parents to buy methamphetamine or speed, a potent drug that can be swallowed, smoked or injected.

Mission Australia's youth withdrawal and respite service says 41 per cent of its clients – aged between 12 and 21 – are trying to kick speed habits.

Its use has far outstripped cannabis and heroin, to make it the No.1 illicit drug of choice among the state's youth.

Service manager Carmen Acosta said young people turned to speed when they wanted to have a good time – but addiction often pushed them into crime.

"Speed seems to be one of those drugs that becomes problematic fairly early on in the piece," she said. "Young people see it as a party drug.

"It starts with a group of mates all putting in together to have a good time.

"If it's $10 to $30, they can cover it with pocket money. When the drug-taking becomes something more, they don't have the money.

"That's when the stage comes in when they start stealing from their families and selling or swapping the goods and selling their own goods. They will sell their PlayStations, their sports gear.

"When the items at home have been used up, there's a level of crime that starts occurring – break-and-enters."

Ms Acosta said most addicts were between 15 and 19 and 66 per cent were boys.

Addicts came from a wide range of backgrounds.

Her staff had noted a correlation between children prescribed amphetamine-based medication for attention-deficit disorders and a teenage addiction to speed.

One in 20 Australians 14 and over report using the drug.

From The Sunday Times

i didnt even have a playstation at 14... i had nothing to sell..

now, this calls for bannings..

we should ban video games that may influence children into violence...
now we should just ban the whole system coz kids can just sell it for drugs... just like on the game...

Its a bit young and dangerous to use drugs at that age... i know our brains are not fully matured until around 24 but at 12 the changes occuring in ones body and mixing that with drugs can only spell out a disaster.

In a related News Story...

Children sell drugs for toys

Her staff had noted a correlation between children prescribed amphetamine-based medication for attention-deficit disorders and a teenage addiction to speed.

i reckon it is this relationship which over the coming years will be hotly debated by the media

I wen't through all that shit at about 15, but it was with pot not speed :\

so right Fcuking in heaven, they are missing out on the most trouble free and enjoyable years of their lifes by bringing in so many extra dramas with their drugs, one thing im glad about is that i had a great childhood, and didnt (i dont think) miss out on to much by getting involved with drugs to early (unless alcahol counts in that category)

I couldn't imagine selling my PS2 to by speed... those things go hand in hand.

How else is one expected to finish the 24hr endurance race on the Nurmburgring!

"Her staff had noted a correlation between children prescribed amphetamine-based medication for attention-deficit disorders and a teenage addiction to speed."

I love the detail they go into here.....

eggman88888 said:
I couldn't imagine selling my PS2 to by speed... those things go hand in hand.

How else is one expected to finish the 24hr endurance race on the Nurmburgring!

!!!

I thought i was the only one who did that!!!!

Fry-d- said:
Its use has far outstripped cannabis

I don't know about that one.

I'd be very suprised to find that amphetamine use is anywhere near as prevelent as cannabis use is at the ages of 14-15. Cannabis is much cheaper, easily obtainable and more socially accepted at that age

Re: Re: News - Children sell toys for drugs - 21st August 05

psy_taco said:
I don't know about that one.

I'd be very suprised to find that amphetamine use is anywhere near as prevelent as cannabis use is at the ages of 14-15. Cannabis is much cheaper, easily obtainable and more socially accepted at that age

Yeh, from what i gather, they converted the idea that speed addicts made for the majority of those in that particular youth detox clinic into the statement that speed was now more popular amongst young teens than pot, really, quite different things, and actually, speaks rather well for pot, in a way.

hell, i'd sell my playstation for some gear.... only coz i got a PS2 :) (id sell the old ps1)

its sad, real sad, but i doubt those figures are 'true'