• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Campaign to snuffle shuffle in Sydney picks up pace

If you came out partying in Melb back in 2000 - 2004 you would have had a different view, i promise!

I would imagine it is very strange to those who aren't from Melb.

Probably, however i guess up in Brisbane, even though there is the stereotypical stomp, the dancing styles are so varied up here, that on the dancefloor, it's a cornucopia of differing dance styles. I just guess it's a geographical thing. Incidentally, a brisbane bluelighter we're friends with can shuffle really well, and i remember seeing him doing it at a steve lawler gig we attended about 4 years ago, with all the different dance styles going on, his just added to it. :)

I wonder though, if someone who didn't 'shuffle' went out and just danced, in a club that was patronised predominantly by 'shufflers' whether they'd be snickered at?

^ Oh they are - it's soooo highly pretentious it's not funny. It pisses me off. I even for a while had to drill it into my boyfriends head that shuffling isn't everything. That just grooving and swaying to the music is just as acceptable!

It's very much an 'image' and that's what I don't like about it any more. It's not just the dance, it's also the attitude that comes along with it. No one is better than anyone, just because you can shuffle, does not mean you are better than anyone else.

^and that's what i'm talking about. :( It's pretty unfortunate, and something that you won't see up here in Brisbane, even in the hard dance clubs - everyone just dances - there are differing varieties of dancing and differing levels of ability, but everyone just has a good time and stomps, grooves, moves, chair dances, and bounces around. :D

I do remember, though, that around 1999 - 2001 up here people formed dance troupes, and they hired themselves out to promoters as 'dancers'. I lived (as a flatmate) with one guy who was in one - i can't remember the name of it - but he was an awesome dancer, however never looked down at anyone who couldn't move as well as he did. Actually, i knew a heap of fantastic dancers, i could sit and watch them all night - one friend would constantly have peope asking him how to dance, and he'd just tell them to let the music move you, and the movements follow. :)

samadhi said:
I've only seen a club full of shufflers once, in Melbourne, i kinda felt like everyone was going through Re-Nedification. ;) A very strange experience - part of me was in awe of everyone dancing almost exactly the same way (kinda like Riverdance),

Ohh Cointreau
I would have loved that
I would have been in oars.

drugfukkdrockstar said:
If you came out partying in Melb back in 2000 - 2004 you would have had a different view, i promise!

I would imagine it is very strange to those who aren't from Melb.

Melb is strange to anyone who arent from Melbourne.......lol.

lol, I would have gone onto the dance floor knowing that i had no chance of being able to join in and hence purposely not trying but instead attempting to be as far removed is style as mazzerly possible.

Do you mean they thought they could shuffle but they couldn't?

samadhi said:
I do remember, though, that around 1999 - 2001 up here people formed dance troupes, and they hired themselves out to promoters as 'dancers'. I lived (as a flatmate) with one guy who was in one - i can't remember the name of it - but he was an awesome dancer, however never looked down at anyone who couldn't move as well as he did. Actually, i knew a heap of fantastic dancers, i could sit and watch them all night - one friend would constantly have peope asking him how to dance, and he'd just tell them to let the music move you, and the movements follow. :)

Yeah that's what my boyfriend is like. He is a brilliant dancer in any style he does - he is one of those buggers that can pick up new moves very quickly. And yeah, when I have been out with him he has had people approach him asking if he could show them how he does it.... he would say the same thing - just let the beat and rhythm show you and just do it. With shuffling though he would give some instructions on how he works his feet and all that. But yeah, as much as a great dancer he is, he gives all support and praise to someone who was just going off tap to the music, not caring what they look like - just going with it, and not being a try hard. Maybe being with me has taught him to appreciate crazy dancers - who knows! :D

samadhi said:
I wonder though, if someone who didn't 'shuffle' went out and just danced, in a club that was patronised predominantly by 'shufflers' whether they'd be snickered at?

I did that last time I was in Melbourne (at a rave too) and no one snickered at me. I just assumed everyone took the shuffle for granted and was content to ignore each other. Of course I spent most of my time bouncing between the psy stage and the metal/speedcore stage. That was almost a year ago and I don't see how anything could have changed.

Sydney shufflers on the other hand would not hesitate in doing so. Actually it's more the hard dance scene in general. It just hasn't been the same since Gas and Plastic closed down. :(

gher said:
I did that last time I was in Melbourne (at a rave too) and no one snickered at me. I just assumed everyone took the shuffle for granted and was content to ignore each other. Of course I spent most of my time bouncing between the psy stage and the metal/speedcore stage. That was almost a year ago and I don't see how anything could have changed.

Psy and metal people tend to be a different crowd to hard trance, happy hardcore crowds. With psy especially, there is no particular way of dancing to it (or that is expected) you just do what the music makes you do. Completely different vibe.

I know, that's what's great about psy! Even though I don't really care for it these days, you can dance any way you want to it. Well, you can dance any way you want to hard trance and happy hardcore I suppose. I do, but only when it's good. But even when I was at the hard trance and happy hardcore stages no one would give a crap. Maybe they were too busy concentrating on their own shuffles to care how Sydney ferals dance.

I suppose it's a good thing people do dance at these parties. Go to dubstep or certain drum and bass parties (dubstep in particular) and everyone just stands around nodding their heads in time with the music.

News: Nightclub 'shufflers' fight back -- Update

Update on my previous post =D How silly

A plan to ban a popular dance move from nightclubs has been branded as ridiculous by club managers and party goers.

The high-octane steps of the "Melbourne shuffle" came under fire recently when Sydney promoter Tim Sabre declared war on the move, saying young, drunk shufflers were endangering fellow clubbers.

But his idea to outlaw the step — an upbeat mix of gliding and heel-to-toe rhythm performed with jackhammer like precision — has been savaged by club managers and shuffle lovers.

"I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life," said Manuel Ayas, general manger of Sydney's Home nightclub.

"I mean, freedom of speech … freedom of dance.

"If some people want to dance in this style, then go ahead."

Marc Losper, a 26-year-old shuffler, said the ban would be difficult to implement.

"The idea of somebody making some kind of grandiose gesture to put an end to a dance style is ludicrous," Mr Losper said.

"To try to pin this on one particular dance style makes this seem as if the person behind it has a particular dislike of the style and wants a reason to go after it."

But Mr Sabre, director of Raw Entertainment, has defended his stance, saying he will continue to push for "dance floor courtesy".

"You don’t go to a packed out nightclub and do the samba or the tango or the lambada — you have to mind what is happening at the actual club or event," he said.

"Shufflers aren't doing this."

Since ninemsn broke the story earlier this month, Mr Sabre said people had challenged him to "shuffle-offs" and threatened to perform the steps at his events.

And despite confessing to not being able to do the shuffle, Mr Sabre admitted he did have one style he favoured.

"I used to be a break dancer, for about three to four years," he said.

"I'd always pull out the cardboard boxes and break dance."

Source -- http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=312888

Hmm, for some reason it won't let me edit that last post. Anyway, I merged this with the old thread.

Whoa...hehe....maybe I should have put some more thought into my name....

I never knew there was this much controversy around the shuffle! Ive only been doing it for a few years (Picked it up in Bubble, on Francis Lane in Melbourne) and have been doing it ever since.

For me it's always been about the feeling I get when I'm doing it. I've always been a fan of electronic music, but never really got up and danced to it. I've moved around to some Psy at a bush doof when I was alot younger, but I'd never considered getting up at a club and dancing around.

Now, I'll get up and dance around, and I honestly don't care what the hell I look like to other people. Because the thing that got me into it originally, was that there were no judges, noone criticing the way people were dancing, and everyone doing it looked like they were having a fking awsome time.

Well, looks like theres more to it than I thought anyway, sorry for anyone who isnt a fan, dont hate me for my name! :)

I just dance normally. I don't think there's anything wrong with shuffling, but people who get out the baby powder are a bit much.

you obviously do care what ppl think otherwise you would have danced all those years ago before you noticed the shuffle

Melbshuffler said:
Whoa...hehe....maybe I should have put some more thought into my name....

I never knew there was this much controversy around the shuffle! Ive only been doing it for a few years (Picked it up in Bubble, on Francis Lane in Melbourne) and have been doing it ever since.

For me it's always been about the feeling I get when I'm doing it. I've always been a fan of electronic music, but never really got up and danced to it. I've moved around to some Psy at a bush doof when I was alot younger, but I'd never considered getting up at a club and dancing around.

Now, I'll get up and dance around, and I honestly don't care what the hell I look like to other people. Because the thing that got me into it originally, was that there were no judges, noone criticing the way people were dancing, and everyone doing it looked like they were having a fking awsome time.

Well, looks like theres more to it than I thought anyway, sorry for anyone who isnt a fan, dont hate me for my name! :)

Not At ALL A Payout!

vanth said:
I just dance normally.

Quote of '007.

Funniest thin'
I've read
all insomnia.

Jus' dance mothafuckaz!
Shit.

PEACE
UnS
An',
Miss E,
here's a big one fo'
you
&
me...
large-smiley-002.gif

silvia saint said:
you obviously do care what ppl think otherwise you would have danced all those years ago before you noticed the shuffle

What's your reasoning?

He says he enjoys shuffling and likes the way it feels, not 'he enjoyed every dance style and knew how to do them at all times in a way so that he would enjoy them.'