NEWS: Another, albeit insignificant, Bali drug bust

juicebox12

Bluelighter
well, another Aussie busted in Bali.

SMH.com.au

Another Australian arrested in Bali
May 9, 2005 - 7:45PM

"
Police allege Adelaide man, John Julian Pyle, aged 42, was searched and found with 1.8g of hashish packed in three small containers.

Pyle, who claimed to be an "internet businessmen", had 0.7g of the drug secreted between a glass phial, while another 1 gram was in plastic packaging and 0.1 gram was inside an empty condom pack.

It was unclear whether Pyle had been on holiday in Bali or was a local resident, Bali police spokesman Colonel AS Reniban told AAP.

But the Adelaide man had two addresses, including a temporary Ubud residence, and a permanent one in Australia, he said.

Reniban said Pyle was arrested Sunday afternoon and police were still investigating his case. He could receive a jail term if convicted.

He was the 18th Australian to be arrested in Bali for drug offences since 2002, Reniban said.

Indonesian police were still talking to nine Australians arrested late last month for alleged heroin trafficking.

The head of Bali's anti-drugs squad Bambang Sugiarto refused to confirm reports more than 8 kg of heroin allegedly found strapped to their bodies had been purchased from a notorious international drug gang based in Burma and known as the crescent moon syndicate.

He said a taskforce from police headquarters in Jakarta was still trying to establish where the drug haul originated from and whether Indonesia was a main transit hub for the traffickers.

An Australian diplomat in Bali said staff from the consulate in Denpasar had visited Pyle in Ubud.

"He is receiving consular assistance," he said.

"

LINK

Wow, 1.8g of hash. That guy definately deserves death.

This news story should be bookmarked, and reposted each and every time someone starts one of those "how easy is it to smuggle small amounts of drugs through airports" threads. While I can almost guarantee that the punisment will be far too harsh for such a small crime, it's still a good example of the fact that drug use - no matter how insignificant personal use might seem - can still get you into some very deep shit if you're unlucky.

i believe it was found in his hotel room, and they also raided it at 4 in the morning for 1.8g of pot..

waste of resources, and the only reason the indonisian police have been doing anything latley, is the australian's are on there arses and they cannot continue to be coroupt.

8o its fucking rediculous, I mean this guys looking at around 10 years now. I dont know much about resin but I know the punishment will not fit the crime. If it was here what would he get, a slap on the wrist and a fine?
8)

It is clear that to bust a foringer with such an insignificant amout of drugs leads to only one motive. BRIBE MONEY scare him shit less first then hassle him for ALOT of money.

I freind of mine got busted in thailand for smoking a joint. He tried to brib the cop and the cop said trying to bribe me hey I'm going to give u ten years and then cuffed him took him for a ride in a thai police car then asked him how much money you got and repeatedly said you got to have more than that. ended up taking all his money (thai australian and US currency)and his gold chain too.

What a wanker!

As for bribes, it was alleged that Andrew Chan of the Bali nine offered a bribe of around AU$1.5million.

It was rejected ;)

I dont know much about resin but I know the punishment will not fit the crime. If it was here what would he get, a slap on the wrist and a fine?

as far as im aware, hash is classed as an Opiate in Australia.

dimmo said:
What a wanker!

As for bribes, it was alleged that Andrew Chan of the Bali nine offered a bribe of around AU$1.5million.

It was rejected ;)
Yea, but only because the AFP was working with the Indonesian Police.

Originally posted by erba
as far as im aware, hash is classed as an Opiate in Australia.

What you are aware of is in fact incorrect - hashish refers to the product made by collecting and pressing oily blobs of resin found on the end of trichomes (little hairs) of the (normally female) cannabis plant.

These blobs of resin contain the psychoactive cannabinoids that get you high when smoked, the most potent of them being delta-9-THC.

Opiate/opioid is a term used to refer to a family of drugs that bind to specific receptors in the brain; most (agonists) are potent analgesics and can also be used for sedation, anesthesia and recreation. Some occur naturally (codeine, morphine), others are produced synthetically (methadone), others still are created by chemical modification of the structure of naturally occuring opiates (e.g. heroin = diacetylmorphine).

Hash is not an opiate, it has nothing to do with opiates (unless we are talking about combos), and is therefore not classified as an opiate anywhere in the world. Perhaps you have confused hash with unprocessed, prepared opium, which is smokeable and has been around throughout history.

In NSW, hashish has its own entry in the Poisons Schedules under 'Prohibited Plants and Drugs'. The following cannabis-related products are all listed under this same category:

Cannabis Leaf
Cannabis Oil
Cannabis Plant
Cannabis Resin

Originally posted by pinkanga
I dont know much about resin but I know the punishment will not fit the crime.

Unfortunately you're right.... days in prison would be a disproportionate punishment here, let alone years. What a fucked up world where a person's freedom can be thieved just like that.