Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: ABC - 16/08/07 'Govt defends graphic new ice TV ads'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Govt defends graphic new 'ice' TV ads
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:00pm AEST

The Federal Government's advisory group on drugs has defended a graphic new television campaign about crystal methamphetamine or "ice".

The advertisement shows a young woman picking at her skin and a man flying into a rage in a hospital.

The Government says the advertisement is targeting young people in their 20s and it has been given an "M" classification.

Australian National Council on Drugs chairman John Herron says it shows the reality of the drug.

"It's aimed at people who are not users in particular - people who are addicted [and] have a real problem," he said.

"You've got to do something for them and they've got to be treated.

"But the graphic nature is showing the dangers of continued use, but also to scare people off trying it in the first place."

Video
Audio Interview with PM

ABC Online

Last edited:
Howard takes drugs credit
AAP
August 17, 2007 12:00am

PRIME Minister John Howard has claimed credit for saving the lives of hundreds of young would-be heroin users through the federal government's tough-on-drugs strategy.
The government pushed out the latest plank of the strategy yesterday with the launch of graphic television commercials designed to turn young people off methamphetamines, including the addictive drug ice.

The $32.9 million advertising campaign forms part of a $150 million package to combat ice, announced in April.

* Video: Ice advertisements

The government says its hardline approach has succeeded in combating heroin and cannabis use, but the campaign is needed because synthetic drug use is on the rise.

Mr Howard said the number of people who had used illicit drugs at least once in a year had dropped from 22 per cent in 1998 to 15 per cent in 2004.

Cannabis use had fallen from 18 per cent to 11 per cent over that six year period and heroin use had dropped 0.8 per cent to 0.2 per cent.

"And as a result of our strategy hundreds of young Australians spent last Christmas with their parents who otherwise would have lost their lives or taken their lives as a result of heroin abuse," Mr Howard told parliament yesterday.

Ageing Minister Christopher Pyne, who is responsible for government drug policy, acknowledged the increase in synthetic drug use, despite the commonwealth's strategy.

"The tough-on-drugs campaigns have worked, it's just that ice has suddenly emerged in a way that the government wants to nip in the bud if it can," he told the Nine Network.

"I think it will draw immediate attention to the issue of ice, which is not becoming an epidemic but is growing in its use in Australia."

The M-rated commercials are targeted at young people aged 18 to 24 years.

Mr Howard said the hard-hitting commercials were designed to drive home the misery, degradation and loss of physical appearance and mental stability of drug users.

"Some may be offended by it, but we make no apologies for the direct message that is communicated," he said.

Parents would also be sent a book on drug use to encourage them to talk to their children.

Mental health advocates have welcomed the campaign.

Mental Health Council of Australia CEO David Crosbie said people were often unaware of the link between methamphetamine use and mental health, or did not see the dangers as significant.

The campaign would encourage them to think about the possible consequence before experimenting with such drugs, he said.

"The reality is that ice is not cool or pure and these drugs can lead to serious ongoing mental health problems," Mr Crosbie said.

"Ice is particularly dangerous to users' mental and physical health, with users risking drug-induced psychosis, hallucinations and paranoia."

Research conducted for the Australian National Council on Drugs showed almost 10 per cent of the population had tried methamphetamines at least once, he said.

Mr Howard said he was proud his government had spent more than $1.4 billion since 1997 on law enforcement, education and treatment under the tough on drugs strategy.

He said the government would continue its hard line against drugs, and would never adopt a harm-minimisation approach.

"We are making progress in the war against drugs, but we have a long way to go," Mr Howard said.

Herald Sun

I think the first step is to stop referring to it as "ice". NOBODY calls it that... its like telling the kids to stop smoking that dang reefer.

No Howard, you are not making progress in the war against drugs. Humans have always sought intoxication, and you are not going to stop that.

Lol. Yeah Howard bought down the demand for Heroin! He personally went out and cut it more and more, and subsituted it with shit, forced an opium drought, and make it cost more for what little pure product you get, and then he introduced crystal methamphetamines to the main stream IV world, which people could actually get a rush and high off once again.

Okay so if he wants to take credit for lowering heroin use, he has to take credit for more meth addicts now. Thats the way I see it.

What a dumb shit little stuttering ass-monkey. Peoples preference change all the times.. for everything. The kids dont spend their lemonade stand and car wash money on moonpies and pennywhistles anymore, Howard. They want the brand new advertised Tripple Chocolate Layer Carmel Milk Choc Chip Multi Coloured Spinkled Magnum Ice cream they saw on TV while watching the newest dubbed anime (not Scooby Doo on Aggro's Cartoon Connection)..

Oh and about the ads, if they're aimed at addicts, and all addictsa scratch their skin to bits and go psychotic in hospitals on a daily basis, then shouldn't they know this already? And as if a meth addict that low would have a TV, it's in hock along with all their other possessions.

WASTE - OF - TAX- PAYERS - MONEY.

I personally cannot wait to see them though, as I had a jolly good laugh at the pathetic collection of Montana Meth "Not Even Once" ads.
"There kid, you had your first pipe.... You did it." "Now we're going to be sleeping together *scratch*, shooting up together, stealing together..." "NO!! I only tried it, just this once!!" * Den of disgusting looking meth junkies errupt into a fit of laughter * A real good laugh!

Splatt said:
Lol. Yeah Howard bought down the demand for Heroin! He personally went out and cut it more and more, and subsituted it with shit, forced an opium drought, and make it cost more for what little pure product you get, and then he introduced crystal methamphetamines to the main stream IV world, which people could actually get a rush and high off once again.

Okay so if he wants to take credit for lowering heroin use, he has to take credit for more meth addicts now. Thats the way I see it.

What a dumb shit little stuttering ass-monkey. Peoples preference change all the times.. for everything. The kids dont spend their lemonade stand and car wash money on moonpies and pennywhistles anymore, Howard. They want the brand new advertised Tripple Chocolate Layer Carmel Milk Choc Chip Multi Coloured Spinkled Magnum Ice cream they saw on TV while watching the newest dubbed anime (not Scooby Doo on Aggro's Cartoon Connection)..

Oh and about the ads, if they're aimed at addicts, and all addictsa scratch their skin to bits and go psychotic in hospitals on a daily basis, then shouldn't they know this already? And as if a meth addict that low would have a TV, it's in hock along with all their other possessions.

WASTE - OF - TAX- PAYERS - MONEY.

I personally cannot wait to see them though, as I had a jolly good laugh at the pathetic collection of Montana Meth "Not Even Once" ads.
"There kid, you had your first pipe.... You did it." "Now we're going to be sleeping together *scratch*, shooting up together, stealing together..." "NO!! I only tried it, just this once!!" * Den of disgusting looking meth junkies errupt into a fit of laughter * A real good laugh!
STRONGLY AGREED!

and on topic of the actual ad - fucking disgusting.

Propaganda:
A way of presenting a belief that seeks to generate acceptance without regard to facts or the right of others to be heard. Propaganda often presents the same argument repeatedly, in the simplest terms and ignores all rebuttal or counter-argument. It is essentially self- interested and often associated with authoritarian regimes. Propaganda is often used to convey official descriptions of reality, when it may be allied with bureaucratic control of media, censorship of opposing opinions and deliberate misinformation.
(http://freespace.virgin.net/john.hewitt1/pg_gloss.htm#secp_s)

I know I am not contributing anything useful to this discussion, but words cannot describe the utter contempt I feel towards that miserly little prude Christopher Pyne.

He is a relatively young politican, yet he must be the most out of touch of any in Canberra, and one who panders to propaganda like no other!

el oh el @ that new ice ad.
pretty shit. the other speed one was better and funnier,

they need to get over the scabby faces and scratching arms thing.

They're certainly not as hard hitting as I thought they would be and IMO are actually quite tame. It would be interesting to know what demographic they intend on influencing.

montana meth ads are worse. type into montana meth into youtube and have a good old laugh while smoking or whacking some shards

Splatt said:
el oh el @ that new ice ad.
pretty shit. the other speed one was better and funnier,

they need to get over the scabby faces and scratching arms thing.

I like the one with the dude smashing the wall in a rage and making his girlfriend cry. That's the most realistic one I've found :)

Oh except for the one with the dudes shooting up smack in the middle of a D'n'B club. After all, we know those junglists are all just a bunch of smack heads. That explains the frenetic music, obviously 8) =D

When that guy throws a bin into the glass pane = awesome.

Makes me wanna throw a tv out of a window, hmmm....

ROFL
SO friggen cheesy it's embarrassing :( ice is harsh, yes, but you need to treat the matter appropriately in order for people to take its prevalence seriously

I've got heaps of mates who use ice on a regular basis and myself and them have never shown any of the systems that they are showing in these adds. I'm a pretty regular user and beleive that I have control over my usage. not to say that what their saying is wrong but they always seem to portray the worst possible outcome. In moderation its just like any other drug IMO.

I'm a former addict & have known other addicts, and I actually found it fairly realistic.

Unfortunately the government also shows this sort of behaviour in the weed & ecstasy campaigns, which is obviously bullshit, so unless you've already been through it yourself, you have no reason to believe them this time around.