Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - 9th June - Police in $808m drug raid

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Police in $808m drug raid
From correspondents in Suva, Fiji
June 9, 2004

POLICE raided a factory in the Fijian capital and seized illegal drugs and chemicals with a likely street value of 1 billion Fiji dollars ($808 million).

Fiji police commissioner Andrew Hughes said the illegal drug-making operation in Suva was the largest methamphetamine laboratory uncovered in the Southern Hemisphere.

Seven people, including four Asians and three Fijians, were arrested and were being questioned by police.

Mr Hughes said they might appear in court in Suva today. Their identities and nationalities were not disclosed.

Mr Hughes said the laboratory, in three warehouse buildings on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Suva, was set up to produce the party drug methamphetamine, known as "ice", for the Australian, New Zealand, US and European markets.

"This is a frightening example of trans-national organised crime elements using Fiji as a staging ground for their illegal activities," Mr Hughes said.

"Increasingly we are seeing these elements coming to Fiji and joining up with local organised criminal groups," he said.

The Associated Press
Source

Not local news but some might have headed our way. More interesting is the size of the haul. $808 million dollars worth, wow.

Heard a report on JJJ that the lab had a maximum production rate of 500 Kg a day! 8o

Without getting to specific, what cost implications would this have for an occasional user? What proportion, would a lab like this, make up of the market in an Australian capital city and are prices really likely to rocket??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

man thats one big fuck off meth lab! 8o

id hate to have seen the crater that little baby would have left if blown up =D

krustybarnes said:
Without getting to specific, what cost implications would this have for an occasional user? What proportion, would a lab like this, make up of the market in an Australian capital city and are prices really likely to rocket??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Most Methamphetamine is produced locally. I think the police seize about a hundred meth labs in Aus every year.. and 90% of them because the manufacturers blew themselves up :p

I think you'll find that it would have no effect. They would have to be making several more of these busts to start scraping the iceberg.

I was just about to post this - lucky I checked first! :)

It's difficult to visualise 500kg (figure from the SMH) of methamphetamine being produced every day 8o

Despite its size, I'll eat my hat if it actually effects things in Australia.

From http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/09/1086749785345.html?oneclick=true :

Drug ring's South Pacific hideaway raided in record $770m haul
June 10, 2004

Australian, New Zealand and Fijian police have smashed a massive drug operation in Suva that allegedly operated the largest methamphetamine laboratory ever uncovered in the southern hemisphere.

The lab had been producing the party drug methamphetamine, known as "ice", for the Australian, New Zealand, US and European markets.

Police raided a factory in Suva yesterday and seized illegal drugs and chemicals with an estimated street value of 1 billion Fiji dollars ($770 million).

*stuff edited out*

I love the difference in estimates of value haha

I just included that because I think its funny where the estimates come from... their "street-value" estimates are almost always signfiicantly overestimated...

Every time they get a haul of pills they seem to have street values of $50+

^^ ah, the old 'street value thing' Theres been numerous threads why the value is so high. Basically it's calculated from the costs of dealer A to dealer (C,D,E,F,whatever) to the end user.. i.e dealer A pays $5 a pill for 1,000,000, next in line pays double, etc etc.. It's an estimation of the total cost paid out 'on the street'.

A nice thread in regards to this is located at http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1893593

I saw this on the news the other day... They had a sandwhich zip-lock bag full of crystal-meth and were tipping all over the table.... I was tempted to jump into the TV, while mum sat there being all 'I can't believe this. What terrible people etc. etc.'
LOL.

But when they said 500kg a day!!!!!!! I couldn't help but go 'HOLY SHIT!!! THAT'S FUCKING HEAPS!' mum looked at me and went 'yes... that's a lot isn't it?.' lol.
Almost went into explaining that 0.10g = $xx and a good night out on crystal meth... But held back on that ;)

man... stop posting drunk....

EDIT: Accidently put prices. now removed

Good

I'm glad.

Filthy fucken shite it is. Seen too many friends fry there brains on it.

wazza said:
^^ ah, the old 'street value thing' Theres been numerous threads why the value is so high. Basically it's calculated from the costs of dealer A to dealer (C,D,E,F,whatever) to the end user.. i.e dealer A pays $5 a pill for 1,000,000, next in line pays double, etc etc.. It's an estimation of the total cost paid out 'on the street'.

Aah ok that makes much more sense then.

But when you think about it its not *actually* the cost paid out on the street, because much of the money is merely changing hands. It's not like each person pays the money for the rights to the pill outright; 50% or more will be going to pay THEIR dealer.

e.g. dealer A pays $5. Dealer B pays $10. Dealer C pays $20

Dealer C has paid the full $20
Dealer B has made $10 profit, and passed the equivalent $10 on to dealer A.
Dealer A has made $5 profit, and passed the other $5 on to the source.

The method your suggesting would put this pill cost at $5 + $10 + $20 = $35.

In fact, the true cost is borne out by the end user - $20. Everyone else made money along the process - source made $5, A made $5, B made $10 = $20.

Conversation of money applies :) (unless you stole a printing press heh)

In reality there's only actually $20 in net money floating around here, not $35, and so it seems rather odd that they calculate the total value of money paid when a) they can't reliably estimate how many dealers are in the chain and what profit margins they are at, and b) the total cost the entire way down the chain is $20.

Seems much more realistic just to ask the end user for prices, because that price represents the total amount paid anyway.

I personally think they pick the highest estimate they could get away with reasonably. The estimates *usually* are around 30-40% in excess of average prices, and that seems reasonable for what people are going to charge in a club when you're desperate if you're clueless.

velocidex, i think they're looking at total revenue earnt. regardless of costs incurred etc. how much 'taxable income' each person receives from the selling of the drug at each level. (obviously they wont pay tax).

and on topic

yeah, another Ring broken, another week =/
i guess this one is a little bigger than most though :p

cant remember where i read it.... but it said for every 1 major meth lab found... 5 start up........