Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 7.5.09 - Drug driving put to the test

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Drug driving put to the test

7 May 2009

meth1.jpg

Researcher David Bosanquet in the driving simulation apparatus.

In a world first study, a University of Sydney researcher is putting both drug users and non-drug users through a simulated driving test in order to understand how drugs such as ice and speed (methamphetamines) affect driving ability.

"Over half a million Australians use methamphetamines, commonly called speed and the more potent form 'ice'," says researcher David Bosanquet. Meth is commonly used by young people, particularly young men. And commercial truck drivers commonly use methamphetamines in order to stay awake over long distances.

"Methamphetamines (or 'meth') can have a devastating effect on driver safety, both during and after drug use, and is a factor in numerous road accidents and fatalities. Yet we know almost nothing about how methamphetamines actually contributes to driver error.

"One theory holds that meth use increases the chances that a driver will engage in risky and dangerous driving behaviour," Bosanquet says.

In the study, participants sit in a real car body in a laboratory and 'drive' through a breathtakingly realistic computer-simulated landscape. As they navigate traffic lights, pedestrians and other vehicles, a highly sophisticated computer program measures reaction times, while special goggles monitor eye movements.

Blood samples are taken from participants to determine the amount of meth contained within the blood, which will be used to evaluate the nature of the meth-related impairment on driving ability.

"Since roadside drug testing was implemented in 2006, millions of dollars has been spent to test, charge and sentence those found guilty," Bosanquet, from the School of Psychology, says. "It's important to understand the science behind this sort of initiative."

Participants wanted

If you currently use methamphetamine on a regular basis and wish to take part in this study please contact David Bosanqueton 0424 468 608 or email: [email protected]) for more information. Absolute confidentiality is guaranteed and participants will be reimbursed to cover travel and out-of-pocket expenses.

Media interviews: David Bosanquet on 0424 468 608

Introduction of roadside drug testing in Australia
In 2004 Victoria was the first place in the world to implement random roadside saliva drug testing. New South Wales followed in 2006. Drugs tested for include methamphetamine, ecstasy and cannabis. Penalties for convicted drivers include suspension of licence, fines of up to $2000 and up to nine months in prison. Heavier penalties apply for a second offence.

Methamphetamine
Methamphetamine (Meth) is a drug that has become increasingly used, both in Australia and internationally, partly due to the fact that it is easy to manufacture, inexpensive and highly addictive. Symptoms of the more potent form of Meth called "ice" include paranoia, hallucinations, impaired cognitive and motor ability, and extreme fatigue during withdrawal. Current evidence also suggests that Meth use causes permanent brain damage, and affects brain/motor function long after use of this drug has ceased.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newscategoryid=1&newsstoryid=3368

& more -->

Australian drug test is a world first

0,,6613408,00.jpg

By Kate Sikora

May 07, 2009 12:00am

DRUG users are being put to the test in a world-first study to see how ice and speed affect driving ability.

Drivers will undergo a simulated driving test, complete with NSW traffic signs, to understand how methamphetamines affect a person's driving skills.

University of Sydney researchers will compare results to those of non-drug users who will sit the same test.

More than half a million Australians use methamphetamines, known as speed and its more potent form, ice.

Researcher David Bosanquet said it was well known that some drivers used speed or ice to stay awake.

"Methamphetamines can have a devastating effect on driver safety, both during and after drug use and is a factor in numerous road accidents and fatalities," he said.

"Yet we know almost nothing about how methamphetamines actually contributes to driver error."

At least 70 participants are needed, including non-drug users.

Due to ethical reasons, no drivers will be supplied with drugs but regular users of ice or speed will be recruited - the drugs stay in the blood system for up to four days. "Someone could take something on a Saturday night and it would still show up in their system on Monday or Tuesday," Mr Bosanquet said.

"We are not just looking at the acute effects but chronic use and also what happens if someone is withdrawing.

"Ice is an emerging drug and there has never been any study before on how it affects driving ability."

It is believed methamphetamine use can increase risky driving behaviour.

At least one in four young male drivers reportedly use drugs, while 17 per cent of fatal accidents involve drugs.

Study participants drive through realistic suburbs and navigate pedestrians, traffic lights and other vehicles.

Their reaction times, concentration and the speed of the car will be tested.

Samples from participants will determine the amount of drugs, if any, in the blood and the results used to evaluate the impairment on driving skills.

"Since roadside drug testing was implemented in 2006, millions have been spent to test, charge and sentence those found guilty," Mr Bosanquet said.

"It's important to understand the science behind this sort of initiative."

Confidentiality is assured and volunteers will receive a $30 grocery voucher.

To take part, phone 0424 468 608 or email [email protected].

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,27574,25440948-5006009,00.html

they said its unethical to supply ice ... thats just not fair lol and what only $30 cole vouchers for my time and the fact you will be sticking needles in me for blood testing ... make it $100 and you got a deal.How can I score a hit of ice with a $30 coles voucher .. HAHAHAHAH

they should be testing ice , mdxx , marijuana ..

I would get on all 3 above then see how I go .. anyone up for a good old round of destruction derby ... :D

Last edited:
LOL

bloody hell, where's my free shot of cold??

i'd be up there with bells on =D =D =D

Absolute confidentiality is guaranteed and participants will be reimbursed to cover travel and out-of-pocket expenses.

Drugs are an out of pocket expense :p

Confidentiality is assured and volunteers will receive a $30 grocery voucher.

That's just rude lol. Are they offering cash for a food voucher. I'd probably refuse to do it for a food voucher even if I would do it for free, just on principle.

Though my gut feeling is that you shouldn't drive under any sort of chemical influence, it's nice to see drug policy being questioned instead of just taken at face value.

Just a thought .. I wonder how many drug affected volunteers will actually drive to this place for the simulation drug driving test hahahahah

This sounds like a good idea.

Drink driving is basically the only area of my life where I'm not completely reckless - I never do it. When it comes to driving on meth though, I don't feel like it negatively impacts my driving, so I'll be interested in the results of this study.

Sleep dep though, that's another story - I wonder if the sleep deprivation caused my meth is what actually causes the accidents, rather than just the drug.

I remember driving up to Hotham scattered after 3 days awake on meth - black ice on the road, no chains and hallunicating the road changing shape in front of me - fucking worst drive of my life!

Of course its the sleep dep. Although people tend to drive faster on meth, it just seems they drive how they normally do but faster, not silly stuff like cutting in and out of traffic without blinking.

yeah, pulling a few pippers gets me bright eyed & busy tailed, so straight up driving after that has me on the alert even more than usual.

it's definitely towards the end of a bender where i start to shit myself about causing accidents.