• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 6.11.09 - Party pills that imitate ecstasy blocked by Australian customs

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Party pills that imitate ecstasy blocked by Australian customs

Katie Bastians

November 06, 2009 07:10pm

0,,7147504,00.jpg

PERTHNOW EXCLUSIVE: Australian Customs has blocked the importation of legal "party pills" which mimic the effects of illegal drugs such as ecstasy.

PerthNow understands the Therapeutic Goods Administration also seized shipments of similar products, after a Perth man suffered a stroke after he took more than the recommended dosage of herbal based products.

Reporters test legal party drugs: click here

Retailers and producers of these products were concerned the move would lead to more people doing illegal drugs.

Manufactured by New Zealand company Lightyears, “party pills” have a range of products which give a "legal high".

Owner Matthew Wielenga said he did not know what justification Customs were using to detain $50,000 worth of his stock “for further inspection” and insisted all his products contained only natural ingredients.

Doctors warn of dangers: click here

“These products are sold all over the world and accepted by other countries, because they only contain natural ingredients,” Mr Wielenga said.

Mr Wielenga said they recently had all their products and ingredients cleared for sale in all European Union countries but “customs in Australia are giving us a really hard time.”

The Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement states a good that may be legally sold in Australia may be sold in New Zealand, and vice versa.

A Customs and Border Protection spokesperson told PerthNow they were acting on behalf of the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

The TGA have refused to answer any questions.

PerthNow understands the TGA are investigating the whole range of “party pills” and the legal pill “Blessed”, part of the “A-class” range, also produced in New Zealand.

A man allegedly suffered a stroke at Fremantle Hospital about five months ago when he took two Blessed pills and an “urban shaman”, a product which allegedly contained substances that had been banned in China, and no longer in supply.

This dosage exceeded the limit recommended on the back of the packaging, which also said the products should not be taken with alcohol—a friend of the man said the stroke victim had consumed alcohol at The Norfolk Hotel.

It is also alleged the man had a caffeine intolerance and was on anti-depressants.

Two weeks ago the TGA raided the Perth retailer who sold the man the tablets, ceased all their products and stopped them trading.

The founder of the alternative party pill industry and director of Social Tonics Association of New Zealand Matt Bowden, came up with a BZP based party pill after a family member died of ecstasy--he also had a methamphetamine addiction and so was determined to find a less addictive and potent alternative.

The New Zealand government banned BZP based party pills in April last year but Mr Bowden disputed the evidence used to implement the ban.

“In New Zealand…when drug alternatives were made illegal, research clearly showed consumers were turned to the more dangerous and illegal drugs,” Mr Bowden told Perthnow.

TV3 News in New Zealand reported that researcher Chris Wilkins from Massey University had discovered the BZP ban meant people were doing more ecstasy.

“One drug dealer said that after the BZP ban, his ring went from selling 500 ecstasy pills a month to 5000 a week,” TV3 reported.

Mr Wielenga was also adamant more people would use illegal drugs if alternatives were banned.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21498,26315996-2761,00.html?from=public_rss

I hate aussie customs. There bloody wankers. No wonder everyone is doing H and Ice. Its actually going to increase more and more. Id happily pay a small amount of money for a gram of say 4mmc at a shop without having to deal with shady dealers and break laws n stuff. It would also be taxed.

I hate aussie customs. There bloody wankers. No wonder everyone is doing H and Ice. Its actually going to increase more and more. Id happily pay a small amount of money for a gram of say 4mmc at a shop without having to deal with shady dealers and break laws n stuff. It would also be taxed.

Fucken oath. I hate dealing with criminals every time I wish to get my fix...

Likewise, I can't stand the criminal side of the scene. I know some people get off on it, the danger and the forbidden aspect of it, personally I wish I could just get my drugs out a vending machine.

That said, most of these 'legal alternatives' suck ass, so there's no real loss in them being banned

I did find this amusing though :

PerthNow understands the Therapeutic Goods Administration also seized shipments of similar products, after a Perth man suffered a stroke after he took more than the recommended dosage of herbal based products.

After he took more than the recommended dose? With alcohol and medication? No shit something bad happened. Bad shit happens if you drink too much, or take too high a dose of meds, too. If people are stupid enough to go overdosing that's their own problem.

Personally i'd rather see MDMA available at shops rather than some RC. Aim higher!

Last edited:
Party pills that imitate ecstasy blocked by Australian customs
I wonder if they'll use the same effective techniques they use to stop MDMA getting into the country..?

Either it's legal and the government has no authority to seize property or else it is illegal.

good. fuck that shit.

now all we need are more illicit substances to make it through customs ;)

good. fuck that shit.

Hopefully it works on the logic that for every pack of Hummers they uncover, that's a stash of quality MD pills that will sneak through because they are too busy with this garbage. :)

good. fuck that shit.

Lets hope that the penny drops and they realise that making MDMA illegal makes "CUNTS" make this shit that just might kill a few people and they realise that more people are dying (poor bastards) from crap like this and they ease up on drugs that according to statistics in England kill less people than choke on fucking peanuts.

My mate had a "red diablo" 2 weeks ago, that afternoon he spent the afternoon throwing his guts up the poor soul. I told him they were going to fuck him up, but he didn't listen. :\

I personally think the hummer energy pills, diablos and all the other bullshit they're selling is doing way more harm than good! The sooner they're made illegal the better!

My mate had a "red diablo" 2 weeks ago, that afternoon he spent the afternoon throwing his guts up the poor soul. I told him they were going to fuck him up, but he didn't listen. :\

I personally think the hummer energy pills, diablos and all the other bullshit they're selling is doing way more harm than good! The sooner they're made illegal the better!

Agreed. All I got out of the Diablos was a splitting headache for about two hours.

Im glad customs has stopped this garbage being sold here in Australia.

Just because its currently "legal" doesnt mean its not bad for you.

I was just speaking to someone from the major store that is retailing the Diablo, Hummer and Giggle pills and they told me that the TGA has seized there new shipment of stock. They said they have no idea when the TGA will release the new shipment and are just selling out the remainder of their stock.

One of the other .au sites is also displaying the same message. Looks like these ones are done now.

Yesterday I found a new range of "legals" on an .au page that has recently changed their entire catalog to "bath salts". I know that this is the method the retailers used in the UK used to get around selling powders, I just assumed that wouldn't fly here.

Does anyone have any experience with these new "bath salts" being sold from the .au site?

In my experience they made me violently ill, the hummers were good for a buzz but the ones named "Hypnotic" made me really sick. Customs blocking these though will make a slight increase in illegal sales but the legal party pill scene was just starting to take off and didnt quite get its feet off the ground.

Anyone got any info on the new range I mentioned earlier?

I can't find out any details on the ingredients whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a mixture of DMAA and Caffeine, among some other inerts/herbals.