• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 5.6.09 - Police target drug offences at dance party (winter sound system 2009)

To anyone who is going could you take a few happy snaps of the police operation ...

and of course be great if you got photos of the police giving someone more than a search ..

If i get a chance I'll snap a few with my phone, well as long as I'm not the one being searched haha.

Someone needs to get some extended release pingers on the market. Drop it before you go in, it kicks in 4 hours later, cops can't do shit :)

Im onto this but gunna needs some donations for tha gas spectro, mass spectro hplc etc... ;)

I was at a station not long ago where there were 3 dogs, 20 cops and a massive police van. They were searching the lads outside the platforms, they made them take there shoes off and etc. They went on the platforms too sniffing people and busted alot of people. The dog chases the stronger scent and then sits down next to the person. I guess if the dog is giving indications then cops do searches and cant find it they can strip search u. Unfortunatley they have the right to do so even tho it sounds shit.

Dozens of ravers arrested
By Antonia Magee and Anne Wright
Herald Sun
June 08, 2009 12:01am

DOZENS of party-goers have been arrested after police used sniffer dogs to detect drugs at a Melbourne Park rave yesterday.

Police arrested 65 revellers for drug offences on their way into the Winter Sound System dance party at Rod Laver Arena.

Three people were arrested for drug trafficking and another 62 for possession of an illegal substance for personal use after police sniffer dog teams identified the substances outside the rave.

Despite the arrests, Acting Inspector Martin Tynan said police and ambulance crews were thrilled with the behaviour of the 17,000 strong crowd.

"It has been very quiet. Everyone is very happy with the crowd's behaviour," Inspector Tynan said.

“In view that 17,000 people were in attendance and at this stage there are no reported overdoses, then from a harm minimisation perspective we must consider this operation a success,” he said.

Early in the evening the Herald Sun witnessed many partygoers being walked away and handcuffed after emptying their pockets of sachets of white powder and pills to officers.

At 10.30pm last night about 60 people had been removed from the queue with dozens handing over their drugs to police in full view.

About 60 police were patrolling the sell out dance party.

By 11.30pm, 38 people had been arrested for using and handling drugs and one person had been arrested for trafficking drugs.

Police said they had found drugs ranging from cannabis to ecstasy and cocaine and other unidentified substances.

When sniffer dogs first arrived at the crowd it took just over three minutes for every police officer to be questioning a suspect leading to a delay before the dogs could get back detain another suspect.

Insp Tynan said the sniffer dogs were highly effective in picking out drug carriers from the crowd.

Besides the size of the dog squad, there were uncover officers mingled in the queue to detect drug dealers.

News.com.au

Okay forgive this post if it doesn't make too much sense, I literally just walked in the door getting home from Winter Sound System and am extremely scattered and coming down like a mother fucker.

Didn't manage to get any photos though.

We got there about 10 and jumped in about a 3rd of the way down the line, sniffer dogs never came near us, they stayed up the very back of the line and where people were walking over from Punt Rd and didn't really bother us. The only time i saw them walk along one of the ques was when there were a heap of people in fatties, whom they'd pull out straight away then just do a simple bag/pockets/pat down check and that was it.

As for no OD's that's a crock, i saw at least 5 people taken away on stretchers in various states of consciousness.

I think 65 arrests for 17,000 people is extremely minor when without a doubt 80%+ were on something.

And now I'm gonna have a nice fat joz and try and sleep, hmmm not likely.

Dozens of ravers arrested at Melbourne Park

0,,6661662,00.jpg

Anthony Dowsley

June 07, 2009 11:49pm

UPDATE 9:14am: DOZENS of party-goers have been arrested after police used sniffer dogs to detect drugs at a Melbourne Park rave.

The Winter Sound System dance party, held at Melbourne Park, was marred by paramedics having to treat four people for overdoses of potentially lethal drug GHB.

Other drugs found include cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine.

Of 65 people detected with drugs, 62 were cautioned, but three could face charges over trafficking offences.

Those arrested were interviewed and will face court at a later date.

Passive alert dogs roamed around the dance party attended by 17,000 people that finished at 7am today.

Five partygoers who attended the party ended up at hospital.

Paramedic Alan Eade said four men in their 20s and 30s were taken to hospital suffering alcohol and drug-related illnesses.

"Alcohol was a factor in almost every single presentation here last night and it remains the drug that creates the most work," Mr Eade said this morning.

Mr Eade said the small number of people needing hospitali treatment meant the night was generally positive.

"The promoter of this event appears to have done pretty much everything within their power to ensure a safe and healthy event for their patrons, and we're grateful for that," Mr Eade said.

A fifth man was taken to hospital with head injuries after he fell down a flight of stairs inside Melbourne Park.

Revellers had trouble finding a taxi as they spilled out on to Batman Avenue at the end of the event, but the night was violence-free.

Fifty police patrolled the event and sniffer dogs were utilised to check ticket-holders as they queued for entry.

Operation commander Acting Inspector Martin Tynan said uniform and plainclothes members from the dog squad, Melbourne regional response unit, traffic, drug and alcohol units and local police ensured punters enjoyed a safe night.

"Unfortunately there are still a few people out there who want to come to these events and take illicit substances," he said in a statement.

"They fail to realise the damage that they are doing or the danger that they are putting themselves and others in."

But acting Inspector Tynan said the event's high attendance and lack of reported overdoses was a positive sign.

"From a harm-minimisation perspective we must consider this operation a success," he said.

"It has been very quiet. Everyone is very happy with the crowd's behaviour."

At 3am there were no overdoses and Insp Tynan said ambulance crews were confident they would have a quiet night.

“In view that 17,000 people were in attendance and at this stage there are no reported overdoses, then from a harm minimisation perspective we must consider this operation a success,” he said.

Earlier in the evening the Herald Sun witnessed many partygoers being walked away and handcuffed after emptying their pockets of sachets of white powder and pills to officers.

At 10.30pm last night about 60 people had been removed from the queue with dozens handing over their drugs to police in full view.

About 60 police were patrolling the sell-out dance party.

By 11.30pm, 38 people had been arrested for using and handling drugs and one person had been arrested for trafficking drugs.

Police said they had found drugs ranging from cannabis to ecstasy and cocaine and other unidentified substances.

When sniffer dogs first arrived it took just over three minutes for every police officer to question a suspect leading to a delay before the dogs could be employed with another suspect.

Insp Tynan said the sniffer dogs were highly effective in picking out drug carriers from the crowd.

Besides the size of the dog squad, undercover officers mingled in the queue to detect drug dealers.

Clubber Antony Papalia , 21, of Melton, said having the dogs at an event might put an image across but drugs would still get inside the rave.

“People are going to get them in anyway no matter what the police do,” he said.

John Laguda, 23, from East Keilor, said the dogs were a good idea but wouldn’t make a big difference.

Public servants from Drug and Alcohol Policy Enforcement were also undercover in the crowd to check alcohol-serving practices.

Melbourne Park spokeswoman Jo Juler said the event had more than enough security to control the energetic crowd.

“We never say how much security we’ve got,” she said. “But it’s very secure inside with our contractors ACG and inhouse security."

-With Antonia Magee, Anne Wright

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25602261-661,00.html

heres some photos from the event-->

06_08_2009_11_36_03.jpg

06_08_2009_11_35_47.jpg

06_08_2009_11_35_25.jpg

plenty of ghb-gbl overdoses it seems ..

mdma drought = gbl ?

i dont think it's a matter of there being a drought. melbourne is probably the least drought-affected city and there have always been plenty of pills around at festival time down here.

simply put, it's a matter of irresponsible fuckwits who think they're so hardcore and can handle anything.

joke's on them really when they spend the bulk of their night on a stretcher bed.

I wonder how many of those blow outs were just G-naps or actual overdoses.

I saw 4 people having G overload, was sitting next to people smoking ice at Armen, fun night.
Party safe didn't have magnesium though :(

I got targeted by a sniffer dog near the entry queue at about 10pm at this event. It apparently smelled drugs on my clothes where I've never even kept drugs before, they made me empty my pockets and take my jacket off and they didn't even find my hidden stash which really wasn't hidden much at all.

What a waste of taxpayers money and police time. Those dogs cause more harm than good.

I saw 4 people having G overload, was sitting next to people smoking ice at Armen, fun night.
Party safe didn't have magnesium though :(

Do they normally carry magnesium? I have no idea as I am in a very small party town.

I was at We Love Sounds in Sydney. Saw one guy carried out on a stretcher.

As usual walked in a group of only about 8 of us this time, straight past a dog, literally brushed my leg, all of us carrying, none caught... Dogs don't work unless you're walking in with 100 pingers.

I was at We Love Sounds in Sydney. Saw one guy carried out on a stretcher.

As usual walked in a group of only about 8 of us this time, straight past a dog, literally brushed my leg, all of us carrying, none caught... Dogs don't work unless you're walking in with 100 pingers.

i definitely didn't have anything like that amount on me. but i'm not actually convinced the dog even directly sniffed me, it seemed to be following some other persons trail, or possibly the tree that was next to me. i literally tripped over it because it ran right in front of me.. but i think they used that as an excuse to stop me. grr

me and 3 mates were sniffed, one was searched found nothing, he had a small amount of e's on him. good night, everyone seemed very well behaved police presance was good...not too sure about all the dogs and none when it finished though

Police tread softly at rave party
Article from: Herald Sun
Anthony Dowsley, Antonia Magee
June 09, 2009 12:00am

POLICE have defended leniency shown to party-goers trying to smuggle drugs into a rave.

Sniffer dogs detected 65 people with illicit drugs at the Winter Sound System dance party at Melbourne Park, which ended at 7am yesterday.

All but three offenders detected outside the rave were cautioned and will be put on diversion programs for possessing illicit drugs.

Three people will be charged with drug trafficking offences.

The dance party, attended by 17,500 revellers, was hailed as a success by police.

But paramedics treated four men for overdoses of the potentially lethal drug GHB.

Other drugs found included cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine. Five ravers ended up at either The Alfred or St Vincent's hospitals.

Revellers had trouble finding a taxi as they spilled out on to Batman Avenue at the end of the event, but the night was violence-free.

Supt Trevor Parks said those found with drugs were first-time offenders and would be put on diversion programs.

Under that alternative, the offender accepts they are guilty of an offence, is generally asked to write a letter of gratitude and attends counselling.

No criminal conviction is recorded.

"We were very happy with the overall result," Supt Parks said.

"We're unhappy people are arrested and take drugs at these particular activities, but it's a fact of life. We don't see it as a soft-handed approach.

"The trafficking matters are more serious and they will come before the courts."

He added: "We try and perhaps steer people away from drugs in the first instance because we really don't want your son or daughter going to court for having a couple of pills.

"There are other alternatives to deal with it."

Supt Parks conceded drugs would have made it inside the venue despite the large police presence. "We've only got a limited number of people out the front itself, so I presume a number got through," he said.

About 50 police patrolled the event. Three sniffer dogs were used outside to check ticket-holders as they queued to enter.

Uniformed and plainclothes members from the dog squad, Melbourne regional response unit, traffic, drug and alcohol units and local police were visible deterrents to those planning to sell or take illicit drugs.

Police say there was no evidence anyone panicked and consumed illicit drugs when they saw officers at the entrance to the rave.

Herald Sun