Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: $4m XTC Haul

Boomslang

Bluelighter
Arrest in $4m ecstasy haul
January 13, 2004

AN American man has been arrested at Melbourne Airport for allegedly importing about 19kg of ecstasy.

The acting Customs and Justice Minister Philip Ruddock's office today put a value of more than $4 million on the ecstasy haul. Mr Ruddock said Australia's message to drug traffickers was that they would be caught and brought to justice.

"We will not tolerate people who attempt to bring substances here which can potentially harm the community and have given substantial resources to Customs and the AFP to carry out the task of detecting and prosecuting such individuals," he said.

An Australian Federal Police (AFP) spokeswoman said the man was identified as suspicious by customs officers when he arrived at the airport on a flight from the US last week.

A search of his possessions found traces of a narcotic substance but the man was released.

The matter referred to the AFP and ensuing police surveillance allegedly saw the man take delivery of an air cargo "envirocontainer" used to transport perishable food.

A subsequent raid on a Bayswater address, in Melbourne's outer east, allegedly found the amphetamines in the base of the container.

A 45-year-old US citizen was charged with possession of a commercial quantity of MDMA and aiding and abetting unknown persons importing a prohibited import.

AFP director of southern operations Neil Burnage said the investigation showed the extraordinary lengths criminals would go to import drugs into Australia.

The man yesterday appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court, where he was remanded in custody to reappear on April 5.

From Here

Either way, it is MDMA that won't make it to our hands. Always a pity.

Boomslang said:
Arrest in $4m ecstasy haul
January 13, 2004

"We will not tolerate people who attempt to bring substances here which can potentially harm the community and have given substantial resources to Customs and the AFP to carry out the task of detecting and prosecuting such individuals," he said.
would go to import drugs into Australia.

From Here

It's funny that they say that they won't tolerate people who attempt to bring these substances into our country. Is that implying that the manufacture in Australia is tolerated to some degree?

riser` said:
Either way, it is MDMA that won't make it to our hands. Always a pity.

Yea it will. Bent cops might take their time taking it from the evidence room.

Slow working motherfuckers.

On the news those pills looked like orange stars, duno if it was the real fotage or not.

Tell me, why the fuck would a dude import pills from USA?? cause the aussie doller is up he want's to make the most of it?? Just doesn't make sence to me to import from the US, he would make more money selling them there!! Correct me if I am wrong

Fuck not the orange stars!!

Let's hope for some of the evidence to disappear and turn up on the street.

meh, they'll be back. always are

the cops need MONEY to pay for all their drug investigations, and only reporting HALF of what was actually busted allows them to pay for all of it.

Yeah let's hope the pigs start moving the stuff :) If indeed they were Orange Stars, that is a great shame they never made it :(

News & Current Affairs programs often use old footage when drug busts come up. Apparently there is no law requiring them to declare it (if there is, it's not obeyed), although some (namely SBS and to a lesser extent the ABC) do super impose the words "file footage" while it screens.

The footage could be 15 years old, 3 months old, purchased from another station, made its way in from overseas, a training video, etc. If it's a huge haul like this one was, they might get a crew down to film it... But why spend money getting a crew out to film a few bags of ecstasy tablets when you've got a few different tapes with the same stuff already, and the only difference is the colour of the pills? If there is something like a press conference or a member of the constabulary speaking they'll film it, but if the drugs aren't on display at the conference, they won't seek them out. They'll just edit in some old footage.

The point I am drawing to is that TV reports are never a reliable way of finding out what press the pills were... Nor can you really say "oh those green ?s got busted, I saw 'em on TV... Now they're back out - the cops are at it again" with any great degree of certainity.

This is from the mouth of someone who has worked as a video editor at chanels 9, 10 and the ABC, all in N&CA, so it's no bullshit.

apollo, I agree completely, and since there is no held accountability in this area, who's going to complain?

Roll on Internet television and the detail that will come with even wider bandwidth.

In the end, like newspapers, TV stations too may have to be a little more factually inclusive with such footage. Either that or stand to be discredited by the inevitible popularity of Obsurdity News Television, my pick for one of the next exploitable mediums.

That would be sure to entertain daytime online-TV audiences 8)

I agree re: footage on the news being unreliable.. however there are occasions when they show footage from a press conference in which Mr Aust. Fed Police holds up a bag of pills and says "Look what i found yesterday".. in this case you would be able to see what actual pills were nabbed.. Any other time (ie. when there is just a shot of a bag of pills) then 99% of the time it is file footage..

yeah like I said it might not be the real footage from the bust, sure did look like orange stars.

Seriously though, with the price difference between here and the US would it really be worth moving them from the US to here? I thought only poor countries would produce them and move them to a country with more value. Not ever have I heard of a bust coming from the US.

^^^ Exactly....all sounds a little bit weird to me. Must have gone through 2 countries I reckon.