Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:400 rail users searched for drugs

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
400 rail users searched for drugs
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8492859%5E1702,00.html
25jan04

A TOTAL of 18 people have been charged with supplying drugs after a two-day police operation on the Sydney rail network.

Police said Operation Guardian, which was conducted with rail transit officers, had targeted drug offences at major city rail stations.
More than 400 people were searched during the operation, resulting in 150 cannabis cautions, 130 court attendance notices, and 18 people being charged with supply of a prohibited drug.

One of those charged was a man on his way to the Big Day Out music festival, who was arrested at the Olympic Park Rail Station in possession of 46 ecstasy tablets, police said.

The operation included more than 300 police from ten Local Area Commands, police from the Vikings Unit, nine drug detection dogs and 259 State Transit Officers, police said.

The operation ran on Friday and Saturday and covered the Illawarra Line from Central to Wollongong, the northern line from Gosford to Strathfield, the inner west Line from Central to Strathfield, the southern line from Liverpool to Lidcombe and the western line from Blacktown to Lidcombe.

All those fines wouldnt even pay for the time and dogs used. Stupid pigs

It just goes to show that you shouldn't take drugs with you on trains. It was advertised waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance that there would be a huge amount of police targeting all the major train stations leading to Olympic Park. If you got caught then you didn't do enough to hide your drugs - smell and location - or you were just very very unlucky.

There are many things that you can do to avoid detection, use your brains people...

CB :)

Psychadelic_Paisly said:
One of those charged was a man on his way to the Big Day Out music festival, who was arrested at the Olympic Park Rail Station in possession of 46 ecstasy tablets, police said.

So I take it the cops had a post-operation party? :D

More than 400 people were searched during the operation, resulting in 150 cannabis cautions, 130 court attendance notices, and 18 people being charged with supply of a prohibited drug.

Does this imply that something like 3/4 of the 400 people searched were found with some drug or instrument which violated the law?

If so, is this number purely indicative of great police powers of deduction, targeting the most likely "types"?

Or is this number purely representative of a wider demographic, where 3 out of 4 people randomly searched, are likely to be guilty of such?

If it is the latter, then we must all ask, if this is more in the publics' interest or actually simply forced public compliance -call it what you will - when obviously the will of the people thinks otherwise?

Don't forget to enroll people. The Event mentioned had/has enrollment booths. Make sure you add your weight to the youth vote this time around. Don't follow the hundredth monkey stupidity theory and do nothing, enrol and play your part in accelerating social progression in these areas.

There is massive objection to targeting youth in such a manner, as the vote will be seriously affected already. One day I'll tell what I know of intimidation tactics which have already been employed, but now's not the t & p.

Enroll! much is being attempted on your behalf this time round

It gives the impression that most people walking the streets of sydney have drugs on them.

phase_dancer said:
If so, is this number purely indicative of great police powers of deduction, targeting the most likely "types"?

Or is this number purely representative of a wider demographic, where 3 out of 4 people randomly searched, are likely to be guilty of such?

If it is the latter, then we must all ask, if this is more in the publics' interest or actually simply forced public compliance -call it what you will - when obviously the will of the people thinks otherwise?

this is an interesting point.
its quite likely that the police just made up the figures to give to the media. orrrr, the media just made them up. motives are quite obvious. the police need to justify the expenditure.. and the media need to give a sensationalist headline.

i have no faith in both parties

heres a tip leave drugs like pot that have a distinctive smell at home or in the car. simple

got a lift in with a mates car and walked to the front entrance, with the entrance of olympic park station behind us. I counted 4 dogs, 3 cops per dog + about 20 cops with no dogs circulating the place like a circus! I witnessed a labrador being pushed through the middle of people lining up to collect tickets. I thought that that was inappropriate use of their powers as it achieved nothing in the case except cause discomfort to all those (disrupted ~30 people) peacefully queing for tickets. Then as soon as you walked into the event, a couple more dogs were snifing everyone that walked near them. Gone are the days when you could go out with friends on a long weekend to listen to some music and have fun in the sun without having tail wagging dogs coming to snif your arse 8)

Is this a sign of the future? It reminded me of American style policing, can just see the next installment will probably be a helichopter hovering above. You wouldn't see drug dogs being used in this mannor in Europe. I hate it when Australia copies America.

On another note, I didn't see one fight or arguement the whole day amongst 30,000 - 40,000 peeps having fun :D

Last edited:
Psychadelic_Paisly said:

8o

Those figures are dubious. That's an incredible amount of people...

^^ perhaps not when associated with a large event or gathering of people some of whom will be presumed to be using drugs. Look closely, there is something more to this than meets the eye.

Was anyone here searched, if so I'm curious to what reason they would give you for doing a search? Or were dogs just sniffing everyone and stopping anyone who cought the attention of the doggies?

Would I be right in thinking that Police need reasonable suspiction to conduct a search on someone on a train? So would you have to be visibly off your chops or just being under 30 be reason enough???

I think you will find that the 400 people searched were all identified by the dogs as being people of interest and they were then searched reulting in the figures.

Hence it does not suggest that only 400 people were actually screened, that number could be anything.

No............lol.........Im not a cop, its just that that is how it reads to me.

So therefore of the 400 odd people that the dogs believed had something on them, they then found 75% were actually hiding something.

As for the other 25% well they maybe had it stuffed somewhere the cops cant look or something???

If the dog smells something, are they allowed to do a strip search.........ie what would happen if u had it stuffed in ur undies???...........are they allowed to feel that area or make u drop em??

What if it was up your bum temporarily?.............can they check there???

I would really like to know what my rights are?

Also the following was posted above and I was wondering what it refers to??

Am I just dumb? What are we being urged to enrol in???

Don't forget to enroll people. The Event mentioned had/has enrollment booths. Make sure you add your weight to the youth vote this time around. Don't follow the hundredth monkey stupidity theory and do nothing, enrol and play your part in accelerating social progression in these areas.

There is massive objection to targeting youth in such a manner, as the vote will be seriously affected already. One day I'll tell what I know of intimidation tactics which have already been employed, but now's not the t & p.

Enroll! much is being attempted on your behalf this time round

I was pretty ok on the train. Everything I had was pretty well stored away and I walked past over 10 dogs at one point or another and none of them looked at me. There were some severe cockheads behind us on the train giving us all greif for taking precautions such as tripple bagging and trying to mask the smell with ginger (which evidentally worked). Needless to say, when one of them jumped off the train at Hornsby to skip past the dogs, he was pounced on and a gram of pure, 10 pills and half an ounce got found. Stupid fucker.

Well those are more my inclinations. But given the above story, and the interest shown here in preserving or improving the position of those who were, or weren't found to have breeched some law, I think it's more than appropriate to echo what's been pretty much promoted as a relevant issue in recent Australian Music and Youth associated activities.

Legislation wise, things are moving at a rapid pace. Nothing better than democracy to present the options to young people who have pre-assigned themselves to vote. Do you think the marijuana option on the last federal vote option had anything to do with current decriminalisation measures in place throughout most of Australia? I could argue both ways, but regardless, if you are to believe anything in the value of the process, then you should vote...again, just my opinion.

phase_dancer said:
Well those are more my inclinations. But given the above story, and the interest shown here in preserving or improving the position of those who were, or weren't found to have breeched some law, I think it's more than appropriate to echo what's been pretty much promoted as a relevant issue in recent Australian Music and Youth associated activities.

Legislation wise, things are moving at a rapid pace. Nothing better than democracy to present the options to young people who have pre-assigned themselves to vote. Do you think the marijuana option on the last federal vote option had anything to do with current decriminalisation measures in place throughout most of Australia? I could argue both ways, but regardless, if you are to believe anything in the value of the process, then you should vote...again, just my opinion.

Bloody hell, I really will have to go back to school. Sorry PD, but Im thick as a brick and just dont really understand any of what u have written.

Something about your inclinations, preserving positions and something about something to do with marijuana in the federal vote?

Can u put it in dummies english for people like me please.

And what voting are u referring to????

What enrolling????

^^^ Hmmm, arent federal and state elections coming up and so p_d is urging us to enrol to vote, and actually vote sensibly. Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick...

I *think* that in order to do a strip search, of all clothes, they need to have you at a police station and surely they need a warrant? I had a friend who was stopped at a train station because the dog sat down next to him, and he was stripped down to his boxer shorts on the train platform, however he was allowed to put his shirt back on before having to take off his pants. He wasnt in posession of anything, which is why nothing was found.
All I know is that I will make my vote count so that this doesnt become a regular thing...