Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 3.6.09 - Ecstasy death a warning for users, says coroner

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Ecstasy death a warning for users, says coroner
3rd June 2009, 6:00 WST

getfile.aspx

Overdose: Michelle Poore, 21, was happy, attractive and bubbly and well loved, the coroner said.

The death of 21-year-old Michelle Poore from an ecstasy overdose in Dunsborough two years ago was accidental and there was no evidence her boyfriend failed to do what he could to help her, deputy State coroner Evelyn Vicker said yesterday.

But Ms Vicker said she was concerned recreational drug users were not aware that an ecstasy overdose was potentially fatal, unpredictable and there was no antidote.

By the time an ambulance was called it probably was too late to save Ms Poore, Ms Vicker said.

Ms Poore died in the early hours of New Years Eve in 2006, after taking 3½ heartshaped ecstasy tablets during a holiday with boyfriend Nicholas Gudden and his friends at the Best Western Hotel in Dunsborough.

The four-day inquest into her death last month was told her family wanted to establish if Mr Gudden and his friend Benjamin White could be charged with manslaughter for not calling an ambulance earlier than they did.

Ms Vicker said she would not refer the death of Ms Poore — whom she described as happy, attractive and bubbly and well loved — to the Director of Public Prosecutions. “I am not of the view there is evidence to suggest Mr Gudden and Mr White breached a duty of care to the deceased by their actions in trying to assist her,” she said.

“Pursuing criminal charges in such circumstances many not be conducive to getting medical attention for an overdose quickly, where the people helping are concerned their bona fide efforts may later be questioned.”

Ms Vicker said Mr Gudden was not aware of the significance of the amount of ecstasy his girlfriend had taken.

Ms Vicker’s finding follows a gruelling inquest last month in which the coroner called 20 witnesses, many part of the close-knit group of friends who had been celebrating New Year’s Eve together two years ago.

That night, Ms Poore left the motel after an argument with Mr Gudden. He found her curled up in room 40 talking about wanting to go home. She sat in her car, where they argued again. Mr Gudden went to grab their room keys and when he returned saw the empty packet of ecstasy. He called his friend Mr White to try to talk Miss Poore out of the car. They persuaded her to go to room 38.

When Mr White’s girlfriend Natalie Long arrived she insisted they call an ambulance, at 10.45pm. “They were in a state of disbelief and quite happy to respond to someone else’s direction,” Ms Vicker said.

Toxicologist David Joyce told the coroner that from evidence, Ms Poore had ingested up to 800mg of MDMA, the active ingredient of ecstasy. Ms Vicker recommended that police ensure remnants of drugs in a fatal overdose should be analysed.

Ms Poore’s mother, Sharon MacKay, told Channel 9’s A Current Affair she did not agree with the finding and said her daughter’s life could have been saved.

Mrs MacKay criticised the investigation and said she had to live with not knowing how and why her daughter died.

GEORGIA LONEY

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=145566

Ms Poore died in the early hours of New Years Eve in 2006, after taking 3½ heartshaped ecstasy tablets during a holiday with boyfriend Nicholas Gudden and his friends at the Best Western Hotel in Dunsborough.

I ate alot of them , amsterdam hearts .. bloody marvelous they were...

noobs these days would die if they got some of the good pills from 2-10 years ago ..

looks like thats what happened to this chick .. damn shame ..

4783.jpg

In the interests of harm reduction everyone should do a Red Cross Save a Mate course. It’s a great skill to learn with a key component of the course on the legalities of calling the ambos as opposed to waiting while someone has overdosed. http://www.redcross.org.au/nsw/services_sam.htm

If it would have helped in this situation we’ll never know.

Toxicologist David Joyce told the coroner that from evidence, Ms Poore had ingested up to 800mg of MDMA, the active ingredient of ecstasy. Ms Vicker recommended that police ensure remnants of drugs in a fatal overdose should be analysed.

so these pills had maybe 200-250mg of mdma in each @@ ? crazy..

^^^

nar they were 140mg or so ...

the rush put you on ya ass for too long which i dont mind but these had the extra smackyness ... anyone who had would be sitting or laying down for an hour then they be I love you man .. LOL

I dream of getting such pills again .. gave you a hard on for no reason lol

I had those pills too on NYE 06/07, they were awesome. You can see in the pic of her shes clearly on pills.

Everything about what happened to this girl could have EASILY been prevented if MDMA was legalised and controlled, its really sad.

Back to those heart-shaped pills though, I remember I was at a rave tripping on acid, dropped 1 and I was on my ass, eyes rolling into the back of my head and everything. They were clean and strong.

I can think of excellent uses for spontaneous erections :D

Kinda like morning wood. What better way to start the day, hehehehehehe
(I'd be such a terrorist if I had extendible body parts!)

but yes. even though I can't see anyone OD'ing in a hurry from what goes around now, it does highlight how important it is to know your drugs and consume them wisely... it's easy to get carried away, esp. on new years - but it aint much fun celebrating in a casket i'm sure. :(

Woah i remeber those flips. I dont think i could have done 3. i would of struggled with two. they had lots of love those ones...ah the memories!

Shame they didn't try help :(

It is ridiculous the parents would want the boyfriend charged with manslaughter for not calling the ambos earlier! Their daughter made the choice to take 3.5 strong ecstasy tablet, he didn't make that choice for her. How can that be spun to be him causing her death?

It is also ridiculous that the mother is contesting a medical experts opinion and claiming that her daughter could have been saved, as far as I can tell she is not in a position to be able to argue medical facts with a fucking coroner.

Their daughter made the choice to take 3.5 strong ecstasy tablet
QUOTE]

It's possible she didn't know they were good pills. Back in 2004 there was a batch of strong red Mitsubishi's that killed, if I remember correctly one individual and hospitalised another 12. The issue then was that people were so used to low grade pills and triple dropping that when the good pills hit the market people assumed they were your regular low dose pills. They were inadvertently taking enormous amounts of MDMA that were about 3 times stronger than your regular pills.

To state the obvious, no quality controls with illicit substances. As someone previously stated legalise and regulate. At least you will know what you are taking.

These pills were all over in Europe. Nice strong ones too. There were white ones also. Shame that this all happened. Its not the MDMA thats dangerous it was the person not taking responsibility. She had an allergic reaction too it. My crazy mates whom i raved with sometime ate 12-14 pills which were 160mg each from 10pm-6am. Not something id recommend but yeah they can tolerate it when 3-4 put me on my ass for the whole night. Its very sad that this happened.

What I'm wondering is in what order she took the pills...
i.e., dropped one, thought it was awesome, so took another 2, then thought she'd try her luck munching down another half?

or did she triple dunk, throwing caution to the wind because it was NYE?

No way anyone can be done for manslaughter - the individual is where the onus lies.

Granted that it will not be anytime soon that MDMA will be legalised here for recreational purposes, users need to get off their laurels and get educated about what the fuck they are putting in their gobs (as much as one possibly can be, of course). Within 6 months of taking pills I knew them inside out enough to a) not get stooged and b) control my intake... all it takes is research & paying attention instead of focusing on the sole purpose of getting fucked up.

bit off topic...but I actually stayed at that motel once :s

the parents are making big calls for the bf to get charged with something, but I guess they want someone to blame

Trickster, in the context I was making the statement it is irrelevant if she knew they were good pills or not, the fact is it was still her decision to take them, and if she didn't know quality she shouldn't have taken that many either. I find it hard to believe from comments about the quality of these pills that nobody would have told her they were good.

Her not knowing quality is only an argument for the legalization and regulation of illicit drugs, not about whether or not her boyfriend is to blame and all I was saying is he is not.

I think her parents are being fucking dipshits to be honest, I mean of course you are going to be mad when your child dies but they are trying to fuck up an innocent persons life instead of accepting it was their daughters irresponsible actions and no one else's that caused her death. Whats more, the mother is arguing with the coroners medical opinion when it is safe to assume she has little knowledge about the toxicity and danger of illegal drugs and is just trying to blame someone other than her daughter.

I do feel for the parents but they are trying to do something similar to somebody else's parents by ruining another young persons life when the fact is they are in no way accountable for this death. It is one thing to try and charge the dealer (something I still disagree with, unless the drugs were adulterated with dangerous substances by the dealer) and another to blame someone for not calling an ambulance quick enough which is just bullshit.

MDMA isn known for giving you a woody but depends on person. MDEA doesn't effect that area much maybe there was some MDEA in them but they just listed MDMA to the news.

^^^

nar they were 140mg or so ...

the rush put you on ya ass for too long which i dont mind but these had the extra smackyness ... anyone who had would be sitting or laying down for an hour then they be I love you man .. LOL

Their daughter made the choice to take 3.5 strong ecstasy tablet
QUOTE]

It's possible she didn't know they were good pills. Back in 2004 there was a batch of strong red Mitsubishi's that killed, if I remember correctly one individual and hospitalised another 12. The issue then was that people were so used to low grade pills and triple dropping that when the good pills hit the market people assumed they were your regular low dose pills. They were inadvertently taking enormous amounts of MDMA that were about 3 times stronger than your regular pills.

To state the obvious, no quality controls with illicit substances. As someone previously stated legalise and regulate. At least you will know what you are taking.

Red Mitsis were 110mg MDMA and a whole bunch of caffeine as the binder. Hospitalisations would of occued after the news im sure but 2 people died from heart failure.

Watch out for those multiple red bulls when on some strong flippas

Ah, those hearts were the second best pills i've ever had, after the yellow diamonds that were going around at the same time.

These were around when I was in my first year of getting into them and I'm pretty sure I would've had 3 in a night. Very spaced out though, so i think one of the issues is like someone mentioned earlier, how she took them.

You didn't really want to double those pink hearts.

^^^^ the comment about MDEA bears no relevance to the topic at hand, given the victim was FEMALE.

Also, there was MDMA to boot circulating 'round then - probably just before it started to taper off... so MDEA pills weren't such a huge concern as they are now.

hey if I was a female I certainly wouldnt be here typing , i be playing with my boobs hahahah