• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

news 26/04/2004 : Internet drugs replacing ecstasy

Note to all users: Any discussion with the the media should be done from your own, individual perspective - not as a bluelight representative. You are entitled to your own opinions, but leave the bluelight PR work to johnboy.

Bandario makes some good points, but I'd like to pull him up in a few places and express an alternative view.

Firstly, these chems are not going to disappear from the public domain. They were always going to escape (as they say on the internet, 'information wants to be free'). They are freely available in Japan from headshops; same goes for Amsterdam, or at least went for Amsterdam, I haven't heard any reports for a while. Word gets around. In the UK, 2c-e and 2c-i are being sold by dealers in clubs. Ecstasy did not stay in the underground - neither will research chems (except 2c-t-2 and 2c-t-7 which are probably too powerful for most users).

Second, I believe things change in small increments. You don't have to set out an entire argument against current drug policy to make an inroad into people's opinions. Although the article will contain opinions by people who believe drugs are bad (mmm-kay) these will be set against quotes by people like Johnboy who are articulate advocates of drug law reform.

By putting opinions like this into the public domain, your average Joe is exposed to both sides and gets a chance to make up his mind. Call me an optimist, but I don't see people as 'sheeples'. They can change their minds - my dad is a prime example.

Anyway, feel free to rebut me at any length.

Shaun

It's nice to see a journo with the caljones to get up and talk to the users instead of relying on press-reports from outdated gov. departments.

Bandario I think is referring to the influx of new RC users that this media coverage will create. Sure, you can say that the chems are not going to disappear from the public domain; that will never happen. But with Research chemicals specifically I think there is a niche of people who are highly educated and have been using these chemicals for quite a while without issue because of their responsiblity. I see there being a very real danger of uninformed users logging on and typing in the google box "research chemicals", buying whatever comes up first and eating the gram of white powder they get in the mail. Deaths will occur, the moralist right will scream "Reefer madness" and these chemicals will end up prohibited faster than you can bat a journalistic eyelid. I just do not belive that a majority of the new users, who will get their interest from the news (if they hadn't heard about this kind of thing before), will take the time and effort to research both the proper dosage and the interactions of the drug(s)....

I'm all for ethical journalism and I applaud you on not being brainwashed into producing the sensationalist "Newstainment" like so many of your fellow journalists.

Here we go, I knew I had this somewhere. MK-801 has been used for some time in 5HT related research. This is another of the many [presently] not so well known of psychoactives. Note the other substances found on the scene

A multiple drug fatality involving MK-801 (dizocilpine),
a mimic of phencyclidine

Ashraf Mozayani*, Paul Schrode, Joye Carter, Terry J. Danielson
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of Harris County, Joseph A. Jachimczyk Forensic Center,

1885 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Received 23 August 2002; received in revised form 25 November 2002; accepted 5 January 2003

Abstract
MK-801 (dizocilpine) is a non-competitive antagonist at the N-methyl-D
aspartate (NMDA) family of glutamate receptors in
the central nervous system. It is an anticonvulsant and also shares several
pharmacological properties with phencyclidine and
ketamine. It is not observed routinely as a substance of abuse. The
deceased, a 45-year-old white male, obtained MK-801
surreptitiously in an attempt to treat a self-diagnosed depression. He was
discovered the next morning, unresponsive on the
bathroom floor. An empty bottle, labeled to contain 25 mg of MK-801, was
found near the body.

The autopsy was performed at the Joseph A Jachimczyk Forensic Center,
Houston, TX. Body weight at autopsy was 88 kg.
Lungs were edematous and congested (right: 775 g; left 700 g). The heart
had proportionate chambers and was otherwise
unremarkable. The kidneys (right: 220 g; left 225 g) were smooth surfaced.
The brain (1550 g) was congested and without
trauma. Microscopic evaluation of the heart, kidneys and lungs showed
normal histology and confirmed pulmonary congestion
and edema. Samples of heart blood, liver, bile, vitreous humor, stomach
contents and urine were collected at autopsy. There were
550 ml of stomach contents.

Drugs in blood were screened by EMIT II Plus immunoassay procedures
and by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/
MS) of an organic solvent extract of basified blood. Alcohol was determined
by gas chromatography with headspace injection.
MK-801, benzodiazepines and alcohol were detected in blood.
Amounts of MK-801 present in blood, bile, liver, vitreous humor and urine
were 0.15, 0.29, 0.92, less than 0.1 and 0.36 mg/l
(kg), respectively.

The cause of death was benzodiazepine, dizocilpine and ethanol toxicity
and the manner accidental.

1. Introduction
MK-801 (dizocilpine) is a potent non-competitive antagonist
at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) family of glutamate
receptors in the brain [1] and shares pharmacological
properties with phencyclidine and ketamine. MK-801 is
noted for its potency and ability to inhibit binding of ligands
to the PCP/sigma-receptor at concentrations below 1 ng/ml
[2].

In this manuscript, we report amounts of MK-801 in post-mortem tissues and urine from the first known death
associated with ingestion of this psychoactive substance.
The deceased, a 45-year-old male, was employed as a
gardener on family property and portrayed himself as a
‘‘researcher’’. He suffered from hypertension, hepatitis C
and an undiagnosed depression and had a history of marijuana
and heavy alcohol use. He had spoken of suicide on
two previous occasions. On the day prior to his death, he
verbally acknowledged receipt through the mail of ‘‘tricyclic
MK-801’’, which he had been seeking to cure his depression.
He was discovered the next morning, unresponsive on the
bathroom floor. One empty vial, labeled to originally contain
25 mg MK-801 maleate, was recovered near to the body.

The autopsy was performed at the Joseph A Jachimczyk
Forensic Center, Houston, TX. Body weight at autopsy was
88 kg. Lungs were edematous and congested (right: 775 g;
left: 700 g). The heart had proportionate chambers and was
otherwise unremarkable. The kidneys (right: 220 g; left:
225 g) were smooth surfaced. The brain (1550 g) was congested
and without trauma. Microscopic evaluation of the
heart, kidneys and lungs showed normal histology and
confirmed pulmonary congestion and edema. There was
550 ml of stomach contents.
Samples of heart blood, liver, bile, vitreous humor, stomach
contents and urine were collected at autopsy.....

.....Other non-prescribed drugs recovered at the scene

BTCP Dopamine uptake inhibitor [14]
U-50,488 s receptor ligand [15]
1-BCP AMPA receptor modulator [16]
Centrophenoxine Plant auxin, cerebral stimulant

5. Conclusion
This case is unique because of the variety of unusual
drugs and drug-like substances in the possession of the
deceased. Clearly, the apparent availability of these rare
drugs presents a challenge to the forensic toxicologist and
crime investigators....

Excuse the lack of format, I'm a bit rushed for time; p_d

I'm actually concerned about that too, nickthecheese. But in some ways it's a moot point. I've discovered in the past two days that there were two other media reports about RCs before mine - one in the Sydney Star Observer and one in a Melbourne street press mag. Obviously information is starting to filter into the media, and there is no way that media outlets aren't going to pounce on the story.

In the past RC users have generally been educated and careful, this is true. That's why information about them has stayed underground for so long - no overdoses (apart from 2c-t-7) and no hysteric attention.

But as I emphasised before, kids are starting to use these anyway (2c-i in particular). Regular dealers are adding them to their pharmaceutical arsenal. The media is going to pick up on these, and while me keeping silent may delay the process for another six months, the research chem period of grace is about to end. It was always going to happen and the time is nigh.

Yes, more uneducated users are going to take these drugs with added media coverage. That could lead to bad situations and sensationalist misinformation. But as the mainstream media is going to pick up on this anyway, I figure that if I can get a balanced article into a large publication it may be possible to stimulate some positive and constructive debate on drug policy in general.

I thought the QLD government had made 2CI illegal, can someone confirm this? i presume other states have followed suite.

Yes it is illegal in QLD, do a search I posted it ages ago. Secondly, states are independant, so they will all have different laws.

G'day all,
Regarding the article p_d posted above, the chemicals the (now) deceased male had ingested at the time... I have not once heard of.
But... sounding by the nature of the man's (then) current frame of mind (extreme depression, suicidal ideations, etc...) it *SOUNDS* to me that the guy had actually sucessfully attempted suicide in the first place.

It states in the article that; MK-801 (dizocilpine) psychological effects, are very similar to those of Phencyclidine(PCP).
This is me just speculating here... (I do not know this for a fact), but I would have always thought that a "mind/ego-shattering" drug like PCP would have to be one of the last drugs anyone would consider using to cure their depression.

It also read that the corpse in the autopsy was found to contain Benzodiazapenes and Alcohol in his blood.

So, this is me just guessing here... but maybe he attempted the suicide by means of ingesting the MK-801 (dizocilpine)... and the mental effects were just way too much for him to handle. So he decided to consume the Alcohol and the Benzodiazapenes to maybe... nullify the intensity of the hallucinations or "ego-shatter" he was experiencing (that is... if he had the "concept" to actually think of Benzodiazapenes and/or Alcohol being effective of reducing the terror of the trip.)

I dunno... sheez. Well, it kinda makes sense to me. :)

I haven't seen a Bluelight thread worth reading this much in a while...

watch for legislation with a broad discretion to press charges for producing any chemical intended to 'intoxicate' or some other bullshit legal standard

Oh they're little sneaks aren't they?

Notice how the word 'heroin' (along with all its associations) is banded next to research chemicals?

Personally I would advise caution with these chems, I mean after all folks they are RESEARCH chems, we don't know a heck of alot about them.

My advice: Ignore the media; your mind is sacred space, you wouldn't let a filth-whore covered in excrement into your living room would you?
Why let a far greater abomination into your treasured mind?

If there's news worth hearing about, you'll hear about it.

i'd like to add what little i can on this topic in reguards to the 'mainstreamness' of RCs.

I do no believe personally that RCs currently hold a mainstream use status.
I am a frequent user of 'pills' and have been so for a few years now.
I have never once come across (this meaning consume) a pill containing such RCs, but then again, I don't look for them.
I personally would be very interested in trying them, but i do hesitate alot before trying anything new.

just the opinion of a regular MDxx user.

Im thinking as soon as the media starts reporting on these drugs, they will become mainstream.

Very few people have ever heard of these things and as soon as they do, the market will follow