• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 24.3.09 - Drink, drugs spark air rage attacks

kingpin007

Bluelighter
By Lee Taylor

NEWS.com.au

March 24, 2009 01:44pm

0,,6545817,00.jpg

BOOZED-UP and drug-addled passengers are behind a spike in air rage over Australian skies.

There were 279 reports of altercations between passengers in 2008, up 64 from 2007, Office of Transport Security figures show.

And in the past nine months, 19 in-air blues have led to arrests by the Australian Federal Police.

The AFP this week gave news.com.au a rare glimpse inside "The Bunker" - the stark, intimidating holding rooms used by police after troublemakers are frogmarched off their flight.

Inside The Bunker, they are interviewed by officers armed with Glock 9mm automatic pistols and extendable batons, and can be detained for four hours before being charged at a police station.

Airport Police Commander Warren Gray said most incidents onboard aircrafts involved alcohol and drugs.

And he warned passengers caught misbehaving in the air face harsh – and in many cases unexpected – penalties.

"Assault on an aircraft carries a maximum penalty of 14 years, while endangering the safety of aircraft carries a seven-year penalty and threatening the safety of aircraft two years," he said.

"Airlines can refuse passengers who have played up before and that can be an expensive exercise if you have bought a ticket already and your name is on their list. You have no right to demand a refund.

"The captain is authorised to restrain people onboard, and can delegate that power to any member of the crew onboard until they come to their destination. We take over from there – and we'll take over very seriously."

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25234887-5014090,00.html

and photos of the bunker -->

http://www.news.com.au/travel/gallery/0,23607,5038098-5007153-1,00.html

I would bet a fuckload more are caused by alcohol, both because its the most likelydrug to cause violence aswell as the fact they serve it on planes. In contrast with the harsh penalties for having drugs on a plane. They find one or two cases though and throw the word "drugs" in there just to bring them down off the back of alcohol fuelled idioacy.

Inside The Bunker, they are interviewed by officers armed with Glock 9mm automatic pistols and extendable batons, and can be detained for four hours before being charged at a police station.

So what are they trying to put across in this statement???

That they are going to threaten to bash you or yet even worse shoot you if you miss behave on the flight... oooooo so afraid of your scare tactics Mr Officer break the law yourself!

I know whenever I am going on a long flight I always look forward to having a few drinks to get me tipsy, it makes the flight go so much faster and if it's a nighttime flight helps you doze off in those uncomfortable chairs.

Let's not forget Stilnox...

14 years for assault on an airplane, and only 7 years for endangering the safety of an aircraft... surely that's arse about.

Next time your drunk on a plane you now know that your better off opening up the side door then hitting anyone. I know what im going to do on the next flight im wake up drunk on :)