• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 22/11/09 - Death toll soars in smack boom (victoria)

bud.lightyear

Bluelighter
A WAVE of heroin has hit Victoria, causing the highest statewide death toll by the devastating drug in nearly a decade.

Exclusive data reveals 134 people died of heroin-caused deaths in Victoria last year - the most annual fatalities since 2000 when the drug rivalled the road toll.

Already this year, 59 heroin deaths have been verified - taking the total to almost 200 in less than two years - with 2009's figure expected to rise dramatically as investigations into causes of death are completed.

With heroin caps now selling for as little as $40 to $50 - about the same as a slab of beer - and police warning heroin purity and volumes are on the rise, experts predict scores more will die.

A Sunday Herald Sun investigation into drugs on Victorian streets reveals:

DRUG detectives are battling Vietnamese organised crime syndicates which are using teams of mules to transport "alarming" quantities of heroin into Melbourne.

VICTORIA Police has compiled a hit list of more than 100 names of suspected couriers who will be detained if detected at airports.

WHILE heroin is booming, an amphetamine drought has more than doubled the price of "ice" to up to $1000 a gram.

AND, according to authorities, new groups are "champing at the bit" to fill the void in the speed market vacated by the execution and imprisonment of figures in the gangland war.

In an exclusive interview, one of the state's top anti-drug enforcers, detective Sen-Sgt Dale Flynn, revealed the international heroin wave had started to break locally.

"We've been anticipating some type of flood into Australia, into Victoria, and we've really just seen signs of that in the past six to 12 months," he said.

Forensic, toxicology, police and corrections sources have noticed a rapid increase in heroin and its attendant harms in Victoria in recent months.

"Identifying factors for us are we're seizing more and the purity has increased and we're getting more intelligence about heroin," Sgt Flynn said.

"If there was an increase in any particular drug, that would be a concern to us.

"Heroin is the one that has probably the most fatalities connected to it, so when that starts to increase that is a concern."

A Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine report on heroin deaths, obtained by the Sunday Herald Sun, details the startling rise in fatalities.

A further analysis shows that including the part-year figures for 2009 from the National Coronial Information Service, there have been 2414 heroin deaths in Victoria since 1991.

Figures also show those who died in 2008 ranged from a 15-year-old female to a 57-year-old male, with increasing numbers of female victims.

And ambulance officers had attended 614 non-fatal heroin overdoses in the first six months of this year, the Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre revealed.

VIFM chief toxicologist Dimitri Gerostamoulos said the increase was mirroring the spike that happened in the late 1990s.

"There's more heroin being produced nowadays than ever before, so there is quite a lot of heroin available," he said.

Police said the amount of heroin being produced in Afghanistan and South-East Asia was significant.

In recent years, brown heroin from Afghanistan had appeared locally as well as Asian white.

"Probably the main issue at the moment is Vietnamese organised crime groups," Sgt Flynn said.

"They obviously have the contacts in Vietnam and South-East Asia that can get it here initially. They're the ones that we seem to be targeting at the moment.

"We have a problem at the moment with Australian nationals getting paid to fly over to Vietnam, stay for a couple of days, receive some pellets of heroin that they insert internally then come back over."

He said several heroin couriers had been arrested in Melbourne and around the nation in joint ventures between Victoria Police, Customs and the AFP.

"But we don't believe we're getting all of them. Obviously there's some that's getting through," he said.

The deadly drugs are cut and processed locally, often in industrial areas, factories and homes.

In September, heroin worth $5 million was seized from a West Footscray house.

Victoria Police drug investigators have compiled a "hit list" of more than 100 names of suspected couriers who will be checked if detected passing through airports.

"We don't always just look at taking them out at the border, but we look for the Melbourne-based offenders to try to gather evidence and put them before the courts as well," Sgt Flynn said.

Melbourne's heroin hot spots include the CBD, St Kilda, Richmond, Footscray, Frankston, Collingwood, St Albans, Deer Park, Boronia, Dandenong, Reservoir, Fitzroy and Carlton.

During the week the Sunday Herald Sun found used syringes dumped in city alleyways, car parks and near a needle exchange program just metres from a primary school.

The broad availability of heroin is causing its price to fall, while ecstasy and amphetamine stocks are falling, pushing up their street prices.

A gram of smack can cost as little as $260, while a gram of ice, or crystal meth, now sells for $750 to $1000.

A smaller cap of heroin costs between $40 and $50.

Needle exchange group ANEX said the heroin boom would bring a tide of disease if the right steps were not taken.

"We need millions more needles in the needle exchange services to prevent HIV and hepatitis C," ANEX chief John Ryan said.

Overall, about half of injections are made without a clean syringe.

More than 40,000 needles are distributed to drug addicts every month as part of a Frankston program - one of 19 needle and syringe programs throughout Victoria.

An analysis of Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme data has found the number of prescriptions for methadone and other heroin recovery drugs in Australia almost tripled from about 2.4 million in 1992 to almost seven million in 2007.

Victoria has recorded the greatest increase in addicts of any state, with almost 12,000 - more than double since 1998 - costing the taxpayer more than $22 million in treatments.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/death-toll-soars-in-smack-boom/story-e6frf7jo-1225801647052

to be expected

I had heard of an increase in ambulance call-outs, so this seems like the logical consequence

this is the result when people play russian roulette with their central nervous systems

I also get the notion many of these casualties are not unintended...

Thanks for posting. With all the various drug discussions that go on in this forum, we sometimes lose sight I think of the fact that heroin use is still the number one killer as far as illicit drugs go and that deaths from overdose are still a regular occurrence (one in my friend's block in Footscray yesterday).

"We need millions more needles in the needle exchange services to prevent HIV and hepatitis C," ANEX chief John Ryan said.

obviously they missed this article

since ive pretty much dropped out of the meth scene around here i really dont notice it playing a toll on our town like i once did. opiates are my choice now and even i stay out of that scene, for the most part i dont see a lot, but im aware of what goes on.

from what i can see the deaths definitely do correlate from going in between meth and heroin use. one becomes cheaper and in more demand so the users switch over to that until next weeks specials are available again and another switch is made - thats what goes on here. the majority of users are poly-addicts, theyll chase the cheapest high they can get at the time and best deal available to them.

those prices are definitely skewed from one of the better prices of heroin available to the extreme opposite and most expensive gram of meth youre going to buy in your life. if people are paying 1000 for a gram of meth then its their fault prices are so high.

Why the hell is ice so over priced? Is this just in melbourne? As for the H, how do u guys find the purity? Theres plenty H going around here in Sydney (white powder) the normal costing one which is the normal price of ice is so stepped on its a joke. The one thats double the cost (white yellowish rocks) is reasonable but way over priced still. Better off sticking to oxys:)

I'd imagine they're taking the high end of meth prices and the low end of heroin prices to try exaggurate their point.

Its a shame to hear of such significant death tolls, they realy should implement prescribed heroin to addicts and/or a safe injecting room in Victoria as I believe these would reduce the death toll dramatically. They really aren't fixing the problem by doing blitzes on heroin, this just drives purity down so people get used to lower purity, less people die so they focus on something else and then purity rises and you have people ID'ing again. It is the inconsistency in purity that kills people, if they knew what they were getting then not many experienced heroin users would kill themselves.

I'd imagine they're taking the high end of meth prices and the low end of heroin prices to try exaggurate their point.

thats it, theyre making their point. but its only making end prices that much higher for the average user when they print such skewed prices

^ personally I think prices written in a newspaper article have little to no influence on street prices. A lot of what they post is a total crock, I wont comment on the accuracy of the quoted prices in this specific article but its kind of beside the point. There is such a variation in posted prices and even if there wasn't supply and demand are going to influence the cost of illicit drugs alot more than what the Herald Sun prints.

Obviously a lot of users go for whatever is cheapest, which I suppose is what the article is trying to illustrate with their price listing but there are obviously lots of other factors involved. I actually think general quality of drugs has as much to do with what people use but the price often reflects quality in that if something is cheaper then its probably in good supply and less likely to be cut to the point a dealer is trying to spread it out.

Also, just because heroin directly causes more deaths via overdose than methamphetamine doesn't mean its a bad thing that more hardcore drug users are turning to heroin than meth. Meth has a lot more potential to cause violence and it gives addicts a lot more energy to commit crimes to fuel their habit. Ofcourse there are responsible users of both but I am just saying as far as the "hardcore" criminal variety goes I would personally rather they were nodding than speeding, even if a few more people have a permanent sleep as a result.

Any objective person who really thinks about it can see prohibition is what leads to increased death anyway, not matter what the DOC is by creating an unregulated black market they have made it IMPOSSIBLE for any drug user to know exactly what they are putting in their bodies. It baffles me "you don't know what your getting" is an argument against drugs to this day when all it would take is legal regulation to fix this.

Exclusive data reveals 134 people died of heroin-caused deaths in Victoria last year - the most annual fatalities since 2000 when the drug rivalled the road toll.

Id love to see them compare that to the number of deaths caused by alcohol & tobacco in the same year. Im not saying that heroin use isnt an issue that needs to be looked at but things like safe injecting rooms and more support for heroin users may help the number of deaths drop. I know very little about heroin to be honest, is this due to a spike in quality or just a jump in people using it? I dont want to play the legalize it card but really out of all the drugs causing deaths in our society this seems to be the one that has the biggest toll. Im fairly sure some country in Europe has made it available to addicts, i just wish our government would look at it the same way which may control the purity of it and in return curve the number of deaths.

Pretty sure the government cut funding to rehabilitation programs in victoria a few years ago and BL predicted a surge in deaths.

Id love to see them compare that to the number of deaths caused by alcohol & tobacco in the same year. Im not saying that heroin use isnt an issue that needs to be looked at but things like safe injecting rooms and more support for heroin users may help the number of deaths drop. I know very little about heroin to be honest, is this due to a spike in quality or just a jump in people using it? I dont want to play the legalize it card but really out of all the drugs causing deaths in our society this seems to be the one that has the biggest toll. Im fairly sure some country in Europe has made it available to addicts, i just wish our government would look at it the same way which may control the purity of it and in return curve the number of deaths.
From memory (it was a long time ago I was reading about this, so I could be completely wrong) it was Switzerland that did it, don't know if they're still doing it or not.

^ I am pretty sure it was Switzerland too and I think they are still implementing it.

^ personally I think prices written in a newspaper article have little to no influence on street prices. A lot of what they post is a total crock, I wont comment on the accuracy of the quoted prices in this specific article but its kind of beside the point. There is such a variation in posted prices and even if there wasn't supply and demand are going to influence the cost of illicit drugs alot more than what the Herald Sun prints.

i tend to agree, but the print media does reach a lot of naive people - though you dont have to look to the media to see this, check out the price thread in OD;). im talking naive people who arent your average bluelighters. if theyre willing to pay those prices then whos to say other people wont? when it comes down to the crunch of things most drug users will pay inflated prices time to time if theyre really after that hit.

dm said:
Also, just because heroin directly causes more deaths via overdose than methamphetamine doesn't mean its a bad thing that more hardcore drug users are turning to heroin than meth. Meth has a lot more potential to cause violence and it gives addicts a lot more energy to commit crimes to fuel their habit. Ofcourse there are responsible users of both but I am just saying as far as the "hardcore" criminal variety goes I would personally rather they were nodding than speeding, even if a few more people have a permanent sleep as a result.

id rather be dealing with someone on the nod as well, im sure paramedics and hospital staff would as well - well they do, remember the "ice epedemic" doco? its a lot easier to give a shot of narcan to someone barely breathing in comparison to trying to tie up some cranked up 22 year old to calm him down with some kind of anti-psychotic or strapping them into a bed. but thats not to say dopeheads dont cause as much public disturbance as meth heads, theres some pretty lucrative dopeheads out there. theyre not doing physical harm to people but theyre likely leaving a psychological scar on those who they rob with a dirty pick in one hand, a bag in the other.

dm said:
Any objective person who really thinks about it can see prohibition is what leads to increased death anyway, not matter what the DOC is by creating an unregulated black market they have made it IMPOSSIBLE for any drug user to know exactly what they are putting in their bodies. It baffles me "you don't know what your getting" is an argument against drugs to this day when all it would take is legal regulation to fix this.

*nods*