NEWS: 18 charged in dance club raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete_gasparino

Bluelighter
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1274&storyid=1672056

18 charged in dance club raid

July 24, 2004

POLICE raided a dance club and charged 18 people with 28 drug offences today.

Police from the Brisbane Central District, Drug Squad, Public Safety Response Team, State Flying Squad and other units raided an unlicensed venue in inner-city Ann Street, Fortitude Valley at 7am (AEST).
The club caters for party-goers who want to continue dancing after mainstream venues have shut down.

Police netted an amount of ecstasy tablets and cash and charged the 18 people with various drug offences, including possession and supply.

Detective Inspector Bob Hytch said the aim of the raid was to cause a dent in the Valley party drug scene.

"Today's raid is the second phase of the drug operation targeting the unlawful possession and supply of dangerous drugs in the (valley) area," he said.

"The first phase of the operation was conducted last weekend where Fortitude Valley police executed search warrants on residences, predominantly in the Fortitude Valley area."

Det-Insp Hytch said those raids resulted in 11 people being charged with 31 offences including possession of dangerous drugs, such as amphetamines and cannabis.

AAP

quote: "including possession of dangerous drugs, such as amphetamines and cannabis. "

cannabis? yeah real dangerous. I hate when I here of this type of stuff. Party goers at an after party just having fun getting busted. This sux.

drug operation targeting the unlawful possession and supply of dangerous drugs in the (valley) area," he said.
Thank god for that! I'm sure supply & use is going to take a massive hit from this raid. 8)

Taken from that marvellous triumph of journalism, the Sunday Mail

60 held in drug raid
DANIEL KNOWLES
25jul04
MORE than 60 partygoers have been detained by police after an early-morning raid on an unlicensed club in Brisbane's Fortitude Valley.

Police said the operation uncovered a variety of drugs, including amphetamines, ecstasy, crystal meth and GHB ("fantasy"). Proceedings have begun against 18 people over 28 drug-related offences.

Uniformed and plainclothes officers with drug sniffer dogs and public safety response team members raided the Rise day-recovery club on Ann St about 7am yesterday.

The venue opens early in the morning to cater for all-night dance music patrons but does not serve alcohol.

Brisbane City Council closed the club later yesterday.

Council inspectors are believed to have found a rat-infested pile of rubbish that had not been moved for weeks, along with fire and other safety issues.

Detective Inspector Bob Hytch said the raid followed an operation last weekend.

He said yesterday's raid involved a strong police presence – about 50 officers and the dogs.

"It was done for safety reasons and the large number of people expected in the club," Det-Insp Hytch said.

"The execution of this warrant is Phase 2 of a two-part operation conducted by Fortitude Valley CIB.

"Phase 1 was conducted over last weekend in eight residential addresses, resulting in the prosecution of 11 persons on 31 charges including possession and supply of various dangerous drugs – ecstasy, fantasy, crystal meth and cannabis."

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said council officers ordered the club closed following their own inspection.

He said Rise had held an entertainment venue licence until May but had not renewed it despite attempts by council to contact the owners.

Entertainment venues must be licensed by the council to ensure they meet fire and food standards and adhere to noise limits.

Deputy Mayor David Hinchliffe said he had received repeated complaints about noise and drug use at Rise.

Council officers also inspected Boom, another recovery venue, in Warner St yesterday.

Cr Newman said the visit was part of the council's regular inspection of venues. No further action was taken.

The picture with the article shows police taking a sniffer dog (a black labrador) into the club entrance. Looks like Brisbane's run of tolerance may be coming to an end.

:\Smiley

Thanks smiley

Just to clarify the general rule on naming venues. If the venue is mentioned in the article, then it can be referred to in a post - but - discretion is still required.

:)

phase_dancer

Just some info I garnered from some of the people i know who were out an about on the morning in question.

There were only 60 bodies in the place that got "checked" and only 18 of them got charged with drug related offences.
I am told a few staff got nabbed by the boys in blue but thats kinda expected based on the image most dayclubs have.
But the excuse the authorities used to check the place was for safety. Apparently the owners hadnt renewed their permit for the place since May. The cops showed up to check the safety of the premises and while they were there just "happened" to spot some drug related offences.

So they apparently locked it down and bought in the sniffer dogs.
18 out of 60 isnt a huge grab and from what I hear they had a greater success elsewhere in the Valley area with some home raids.

If you read the two different articles above it looks like one of them got the story from the other and just embelished it a bit to flesh it out.

Yeah the place was a little seedy but as usual its not the great anti-drug success the media has made it out to be.

Obviously not, and considering the lack of licence, it's unsurprising they got raided and closed. Interesting that a simultaneous "inspection" at the other day-club venue resulted in nothing more.

Loch, 2nd articleis from the local paper, the 1st one from a Sydney-based paper. Both papers are owned by the same parent-company.

Thanks Smileyfish...wasnt sure about the locale of the papers but noticed the differences.

The other venue they came up empty on is a completely different kind of dayclub. Its much much cleaner and not just a dark hole in the ground. The staff there to be honest are a lot more clued in about keep their noses clean and their business above board. Their more like music fans than catering for the seedy underworld you normally associate with dayclubs.

Not a fan of either place but can appreciate the differences.

To be honest I am more concerned the police decided to make some kind of effort about all of this. There are a couple of events coming up soon I wouldnt mind going to and an extra presence in the valley might bother more than a few ravers besides myself.

^ good on you Loch I couldn't agree more it is indeed a much nicer place!!
i think what has happened is a warning for everyone to behave themselves in the valley from now on....

^ good on you Loch I couldn't agree more it is indeed a much nicer place!!
i think what has happened is a warning for everyone to behave themselves in the valley from now on....

at the other day venue the council officers performed noise level checks, as apparently there'd been several noise complaints... weird i thought coz theres not much residential establishments near it. looked like they did a pretty big check on the place, they were there for a while, wonder if they found anything wrong with it safety wise. hope not, good place.

Chronic - I think there is some accomodation/apartments in the building opposite isnt there..??? I know U******* got hassled by someone in that area regarding their noise levels.

Yeah I usually enjoy the place too when I visit B*******...I do find I paranoid a lot of people out though. I like to just sit & enjoy the tunes when I am all danced out and as a biggish guy they think I am a cop a lot of the time. Its vastly amusing to watch!! *grin*

[Edit: Names removed; p_d]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard rumours that th apartments across the road from B*** also house some nice policemen with video cameras and binoculars..........

Status
Not open for further replies.