Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 18.5.09 - Drug ends party on the Yarra

hyroller

Bluelighter
Promoter pulls plug on festival

MELBOURNE'S reputation as Australia's GHB capital has cost it a lucrative annual dance event.

Dutch promoter Q-Dance has pulled the plug on the Defqon Festival on the banks of the Yarra, saying overdoses at last year's event had marred its international reputation.

The festival will still be staged in Sydney and other major capitals across the country.

"There are just too many people who take GHB at hard music events in Melbourne, and it's detrimental to (our) brand," Q-Dance spokesman Simon Coffey said.

"The last Q-dance event had 2500 people in Melbourne and during that event eight ambulances were called for people who had overdosed on GHB.

"If you staged an event like Defqon for 15,000 people, you would have around 50, 60 or 70 ambulances if you equated that out."

The decision comes amid renewed warnings that GHB users could actually be ingesting paint-stripping agent gamma-butyrolactone, or GBL, which is starting to emerge across Melbourne's drug networks.

It has widened concerns among promoters who are already worried about the skyrocketing number of overdoses at raves in the past 18 months.

Since 2001, GHB, or gamma-hydroxybutyrate, has been blamed for overdose increases and deaths.

Experts have warned the liquid drug, which sells for less than $7 for a "charge", is cheaper and easier to find in Melbourne than anywhere else in Australia. It is odourless, almost tasteless and its effects can be felt within 20 minutes.

In April, paramedics were stretched to their limits when 26 people were taken to hospital after taking GHB.

In December, 30 people were treated for GHB overdoses at a Festival Hall party.

GHB use was blamed for closing the popular annual Kryal Castle rave.

retrieved here

[EDIT: Removed unnecessary personal comments. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel really bad for the melbourne hardstyle fans who are having their scene destroyed by irresponsible fuckwits. I'd be gutted if I was living in melbourne and watching all these major parties get shut down one by one because of a few wankers who can't handle their drugs (which includes using them at stupid and inappropriate locations).

I don't blame the QDance promoters at all though, it's a perfectly reasonable decision given the culture of reckless GHB use that exists in melbourne. I'm really curious as to why that culture exists there though, GHB exists to a lesser extent in sydney/brissie/adelaide (in order of to which extent they pervade the party scene), but melbourne seems to be the only city having such record breaking numbers of blowouts at every major festival.

Why is it that only the aussies are overdosing all the time? Why do they keep sayin its odorless and tasteless????? Cos its fukn noot. Whats the big deal with all this GBL/GHB bullshit anyway? Its a fuckn stain remover, if u drink petrol ur gonna blow out too or with just about any other dangerous toxic substance. Its legal in Eu and i dont hear much bout overdoses but over here i do and its illegal. Please explain someone.

Is it because there arnt any decent pills around? Or just way to expensive? Id vote for the later one. If i were at a rave id go through a few grams of whizz easy and that would be my whole weeks wage. Pathetic is what it is. Sorry ive had my rant for the day. Didnt get my stimulus grrrrr

Let people listen to whatever they want and take whatever they want so long as their not effecting anyone else. Hardstyle fans aren't having a good run at the moment because people in that community don't seem to give a fuck about others. I use to be a big fan of the harder events but i'll be seeing myself at dj shah next week rather than pharmacy :)

So let's see, G has now cost Melbourne, Kryal, Q-Dance, and Defqon.

What's it going to be next????? Rainbow????

usual shit, idiots ruining it for others and myself included. I see people all the time not using plungers ect, people like this stuff it up for others.

That really sucks for those in Melbourne who are into the harder scene and are going to miss out because of irresponsible dicks. I'm just hoping this doesn't flow on an affect any other scenes.

Although I seem to recall Q-Dance stating they'll be skipping Melbourne a few months ago? Publicity, I guess.

Hardstyle crowds seem pretty good in Perth IMO, although we all know Trance crowds are the best ;)

Foolish drug for foolish people......good thing i hate h/style, dare i say it but you never see these issues at techno & prog parties.

What a load. Went to a tech event in Brisbane. Saw many frank outs. They just think its high dose MDMA ask kf they need water and leave em alone.. Been only one death in 2001 i think when GHB salt in water suddenly conveted to pure 1,4b. And the GHB liquid previously sold was about 1o-30ml a dose, caps worth ec, also its harder to blow out on GHB.

Harder to blow out on GHB? Its the same as GBL except it would blow u out faster because the body doesnt need to convert it to GHB because its already in that form. 30-40ml? dont u mean 3-4mls? That must of been diluted to the max. Impretty sure there were alot more deaths then that tho.

someond diverted or imported 14B. QLD users were used to Na-GHB suspended in liquid. Often a dose was 10ml sarter 20ml later on to get the buzz. Then someone got pure 1,4b and put sea salts in it and everyone took 10-30ml usual dose but all you needed was aboit 2.5-3ml max for a non blow out high.

Last edited:
Oh i understand sry thought you meant a batch of ghb magically converted to 14b or something lol

Foolish drug for foolish people......good thing i hate h/style, dare i say it but you never see these issues at techno & prog parties.

BS. You go to tech events and there's K and MDMA all over the place, I've known a few juiceheads who dig their tech as well. Yes, it permeates the hard scene a little more than the others, but by no means are they somehow devoid of reckless substance use.

I meant suddenly someone was putting salt inside pure 1,4b and selling it as dilute GHB which what Brisbane was used to. And I believe it was a guy that drank a cap full, as he always did with Na-GHB dilute and ending up seizing on the floor, think he cracked his head went unconscious and died.
Was around 2002. [EDIT: sorry just realised already replied]

Besides Brimble and Belinda can anyone else think of any G deaths in the last few years, and were they mixing it with alcohol? Alcohol is a bad mix if you are drinking hard, Valium and the like, even Rohypnol seem to cancel both the drug effects t's very strange.

someond diverted or imported 14B. QLD users were used to Na-GHB suspended in liquid. Often a dose was 10ml sarter 20ml later on to get the buzz. Then someone got pure 1,4b and put sea salts in it and everyone took 10-30ml usual dose but all you needed was aboit 2.5-3ml max for a non blow out high.

Whoooaa i blew out on 3mls of GBL. Was asleep for a good 4-5 hours. 30ml of that stuff would be enough to kill 5 people atleast.

Alcohol intensifies the GHB high alot. Its very very dangerous to mix any downer with it.

GBL all my friends are fine off 2ml. Girls seem to get off on under 1.5ml.
3ml (or pullbacks as I refer to them[when all the dgits have worn off and you're tolerant -- so more like 3.3ml]) would make most people blow out.
Also depends on food. Certain foods make you very drowsy on G and you can fall asleep eating which is very dangerous as it can get stuck in your air pipe.

Alcohol after GHB does about shit all. Same as benzos. Hardly anything.
Alcohol then GHB is a different story.