• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 15/4/05 World's biggest ecstasy haul!

Bent

Bluelighter
NEWS: World's biggest ecstasy haul!

The Age

'World's biggest' ecstasy haul
April 15, 2005 - 11:12AM

Four men have been arrested in Melbourne over what police believe is the world's biggest ecstasy haul.

An Australian Federal Police (AFP) spokeswoman said officers discovered more than one tonne of ecstasy with an estimated street value of more than $250 million in a shipment at Melbourne's waterfront.

The spokeswoman said it was the largest ever ecstasy haul in Australia, and possibly the world.

She said two men were arrested yesterday and another two today.

The four are due to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court at 2pm (AEST) today.

- AAP

That's gotta hurt!

Damn. Thats a lot of pills.

You think they will all get drug education and a fine? =D

Anyone found pictures of this yet?

Thats a shitload of pills.
theres gotta a few people dirty over this no doubt.
At least its in Melbourne though, should be back on the streets in no time;)

*EDIT*

AUSTRALIAN CUSTOMS MEDIA RELEASE

World's biggest seizure of ecstasy in Melbourne - Friday, 15th April 2005

Joint media release - Australian Customs and the Australian Federal Police
More than one tonne of MDMA (ecstasy) tablets has been seized and four men have been arrested following a joint operation by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Customs in Melbourne.

This seizure, which has an approximate street value of more than $250 million, is Australia's largest and one of the world's biggest ever single detections of the street-ready drug.

A joint intelligence led investigation by the AFP and Customs, with the assistance of the Australian Crime Commission, began in January this year.

As a result of this investigation, intelligence developed by the AFP/Customs team led Customs to identify and examine a shipping container of ceramic tiles that arrived in Melbourne from Italy earlier this week.

The container was taken to the Customs Container Examination Facility in Port Melbourne where x-rays revealed anomalies inside eight pallets which were stacked with the tiles.

A closer inspection revealed that dozens of packets of MDMA tablets were concealed inside a cavity surrounded by the boxes of tiles.

Customs officers and AFP agents examined the container and allegedly found more than five million tablets weighing just over a tonne.

The containers were then continually monitored by the AFP until yesterday afternoon when they were delivered to a factory in Thomastown. It is alleged that two men attempted to access the concealment before they were arrested by Federal agents.

The men aged 36 years from Black Rock and 52 years from Clarkefield were charged with aid and abet a commercial quantity of MDMA and attempt to possess a prohibited import namely a commercial quantity of MDMA.

The AFP executed 12 search warrants at homes and businesses across Melbourne last night and this morning. A 28-year-old man from Gowanbrae was arrested and charged with aid and abet a prohibited import namely a commercial quantity of MDMA. Another man aged 31 years from Sydenham was arrested early this morning and also charged with the same offence.

AFP National Manager, Border and International Network, Federal Agent Mike Phelan said that this seizure was the result of a complex and intelligence led investigation where police and customs officers worked collaboratively to uncover the activities of a criminal group.

"The AFP is now working with its counterparts in Italy and other parts of Europe to identify any overseas links with this latest seizure.

"Over the past two years the AFP has seen a dramatic increase of the importation of ecstasy into Australia.

"A consignment this size shows the demand for this drug on our streets despite the potentially lethal affects it can have on our young people," said Federal Agent Phelan.

Regional Manager for Customs in Victoria, Jaclyne Fisher said the seizure had once again demonstrated the value of Customs Container Examination Facilities in helping to prevent drugs and other harmful goods from entering the country.

"Clearly, this was a major shipment involving a well organised syndicate that was aiming to put a massive amount of tablets onto Australian streets.

"This technology, coupled with our highly trained staff and close cooperation with other law enforcement agencies is certainly helping to put a major dent in attempts to traffic drugs into this country," she said.
All four men will be appearing before the Melbourne Magistrate's Court today.

Media note:
The AFP and Customs will be holding a media conference today. The seized drugs will be made available for filming/photographing. Some video footage/photographs will also be made available.

When 1.20pm for sign in. Conference will start at 1.30pm

Where AFP Headquarters, 383 LaTrobe St, Melbourne.

LINK HERE

Last edited:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12863515-2,00.html

Pics of some sort of blue pill, can't make out the press.

Fuck that's shit. The government thinks it's gonna slow down pill supplies, but all it's gonna do is force more local and imported pills with adulterated contents - which is obviously just causing more danger for those who do use pills. Yay for less MDMA and more ketamine/meth concoctions.

Blue kangaroos?

kanga.jpg

Sweet mother of god...

What does this say about how much ecstacy Australians are consuming? 8o

note at the bottom of the article I posted.
if anyones in the area:

Media note:
The AFP and Customs will be holding a media conference today. The seized drugs will be made available for filming/photographing. Some video footage/photographs will also be made available.

When 1.20pm for sign in. Conference will start at 1.30pm

Where AFP Headquarters, 383 LaTrobe St, Melbourne.

Get over there and get taking photos. thats alot of drugs to make available for photographing.=D
I would if i was in melbourne

And you just know that they would have been quality pills, I mean you're not going to import $250 million worth and then have trouble moving them.

Hopefully they float back onto the market. :\

^if i went to the photographing session, i don't think i could hold back........i usually don't care about these big busts, but this saddens me, genuine imports down the gurgler.

Dimm your monitors in respect people :(

Now should we start a book on the proportion that will make it back onto the streets via the dodgy and corrupt coppers (Hooray!) network?? :D

ouch

They've estimated the value at $200m, and don't worry I'm not going to work out how much that is for each one. Just wanted to laugh at the fact they added an 'estimated $72m social cost'.

What wil they think of next? :p

Charges follow 'world's biggest' ecstasy haul

Four Victorian men have been charged over what police say is one of the world's biggest seizures of the drug ecstasy.

Australian Federal Police and Customs authorities found 5 million ecstasy tablets, with a street value of more than $250 million, in a shipment of tiles that arrived in Melbourne from Italy earlier this week.

They say the shipment was sent to a factory in Thomastown yesterday, and they arrested two men when they tried to collect it.

Authorities then raided 12 homes and businesses across Melbourne and arrested another two men.

The four have been charged with several offences and will appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court this afternoon.

Federal Justice and Customs Minister Chris Ellison says the seizure is the result of an investigation that began in January with the help of Italian authorities.

Senator Ellison says investigations are continuing and more arrests could be made.

"It is of course of concern that such a large seizure was made, and it sends a very clear warning as to the emerging threat of amphetamine-type stimulants in today's environment," he said.

Paul Dillon, from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, says it is unclear what impact, if any, the record seizure will have on the market.

"This really is uncharted territory, but the busts just keep getting bigger and bigger," he said.

"This is a very large market, a growing market and we've seen no evidence as yet that any of these large seizures have had a major impact."

ABC News

Given the state of Aussie coppers, it would surprise me if the tonnage had decreased considerably by the time it went to court.

FREEZE! Put your hands in the air...

And wave 'em like you just don't care
(I crack myself up sometimes)
Hey but seriously, poor you guys. We kiwis just lost our nangs, you guys just lost... well, did you really lose anything?

NDARC almost sounds like they are admitting defeat... then again if someone is bringing in a tonne its a fair bet this is not there first shipment... I would guess you really have to work your way up to a $200m shipment...

When the amount of money and goods being confiscated....someone somewhere will be in BIG trouble.

Not happy - that's a big supply gone ......... now today my mate tells me my pills are going to cost $5 extra then we usually pay. : (