Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 15/09/2009 - Mural anger - Shire of Yarra Ranges

marley

Bluelighter
Have a read..I'm sure it'll make you laugh.....

Mural anger - Star News Group - Shire of Yarra Ranges
MT EVELYN residents are calling for a mural, they believe has drugs references, to be removed.

Shire of Yarra Ranges councillors Tim Heenan and Terry Avery and local artist Franc Smith have joined forces in calling for the artwork to be removed.

The mural was painted on an external wall of the Morrison House Youth Shed in Wray Crescent, as part of a school holiday program.

It features two pink elephants, a number of green men, a road runner and the word ‘fresh’.

Councillor Tim Heenan slammed the mural after being told by a local teenager it had direct links to drugs.

Cr Heenan said many people were unaware of its meaning.

He was approached by the youth several weeks ago who told him all the adults in the town had become a laughing stock.

“I was told it had direct references to drugs and we didn’t even realise,” Cr Heenan said.

According to the American website of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, the pink elephants are a reference to alcohol or the drug PCP or angel dust.

The green men or greenie are linked to amphetamines such as MDMA or marijuana.

The word fresh is the street name for PCP and the roadrunner usually means someone who sells drugs for others.

“This is total unadulterated rubbish on the side of one of the buildings in Mt Evelyn and should be removed,” Cr Heenan said. “This is a subliminal message for our young people to get involved in recreational drugs.”

Melba Ward councillor and Lilydale police officer, Sergeant Terry Avery said it was very disturbing to see drugs being promoted in such a light hearted manner.

“It’s a big worry to police especially as it was done in such a way that people of our generation are unable to interpret it,” he said.

But Morrison House CEO Jan Simmonds said the project had not been drug related in any way.

Ms Simmonds is now seeking expert advice on the mural to find out its true meaning.

“There are many different meanings for things,” she said.

Mr Smith said there had been a lot of people shocked by the mural.

Mr Smith believes the mural ‘legal street art’ was nothing more than a bad display of vandalism.

He said it was a waste of time and money and should be removed.

Mr Smith said he was also concerned that the mural was done as part of a VCAL course and he would oppose the group doing any other murals in the town.

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/79857

LOL8)8)8)8)8)8)

I've been using drugs for a while now. Never ever heard of alcohol or angel dust called pink elephant (not that there is any angel dust in OZ). Green men = MDMA or weed. Wtf!

This is just the most ridiculous article ever. Its a bunch of old fuddy duddies in the yarra ranges getting bent out of shape because there is some street art. Then because they want it removed they've jumped to the conclusion it is a drug reference, when I strongly doubt that it is

We should relate everything around them to drugs and see what else we can get them to destory! like serious well find something else in their town and send an annoymous email about a drug refrence and see what happens :p

"This week, bulldozers were called in to raze the town..."

Yeah but have any of you looked at the mural? I mean one look at those weird little green men had me grabbing for some amphetamines (specifically MDMA) and weed! A combo I usually avoid.
Then that elephant, well lets just say I was powerless to stop the PCP from infecting me after I met his eyes. Funny thing is I've never even seen PCP in this country before and now there are pink elephants promoting it billboard style wherever you look.

Just as well the evil mural has been painted over now, gotta think of the children..

http://lilydale-yarra-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/a-drug-scene-joke/

Take a peek if you dare:
NSFW:
579296.jpg

^ LOL. It looks like it is just on the back of some bald guy's tool shed.

I really see nothing drug related about this. Just looks like a colourful, childish mural. Certainly looks better than the original steel colour of the shed.

Haha I hadn't actually seen the mural. Fucking hell!!
LOL!!!!

So ridiculous, I don't see any drug references either and honestly if there were whatever happened to freedom of expression?

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=462484 < That is a link to a similar thread in DiTM, in the third post from the bottom a user named 'shroomNick' claims to know the artists and that it really is not making any reference to drugs whatsoever.

I believe the bald man is Counciller Tim Heenan, whose ignorance makes me want to get high more than any drawings of little green men.

So what if they are drug references, what if it was a freakin' syringe with arms dancing around on junkie's vein? Artistic expression and it's message is not something for a politician to make decisions about.

Perhaps the prevalence of drug use in this generation is something previous generations just cannot comprehend, but it's not something that can be painted over as easily as a wall mural.

HAVE YOUR SAY: Heenan stands by Mt Evelyn youth mural drug claim research
18 Sep 09 @ 03:54pm by Bryan Allchin

Cr Heenan, who claimed in a council meeting on September 9 that the mural at the Youth Enterprise Shed contained references to illegal drugs, says his research proved parts of the mural referred to illegal drugs.

“There are websites, including Wikipedia that show the link to these figures having drug references,’’ said Cr Heenan’s statement, issued in reponse to yesterday’s media release by Morrisons. “I’m sorry but that’s what I read.’’

Meanwhile, a Facebook group created by supporters of the mural now has over 150 members, and youths in Mt Evelyn are preparing to hold another street art workshop next week, as part of school holiday activities.

The workshop will help design and paint a new mural at the shed, replacing the previous design which was painted over on Wednesday.

Updated Thursday, 6.15pm: THE Mt Evelyn youth shed mural, accused by a shire councillor of containing references to illegal drugs, has been painted over.

The colourful graffiti style mural, designed and painted by young people on a wall at the Youth Enterprise Shed, was replaced yesterday with a plain wall and text saying `Watch this space!’.

However, Morrisions which manages youth programs at YES, said the wall was not being painted over in response to Yarra Ranges Shire Cr Tim Heean’s claims that the mural referred to illegal drugs.

“The mural was painted over yesterday and had the words ‘watch this space!!’ painted on it,’’ said Morrisions in a statement to the media issued this afternoon.

“By no means is this an admission of any wrong doing or a sign of buckling under pressure.’’

“The wall was simply painted in preparation for the Street Art Workshops over the coming holidays. ‘’

“The Youth Enterprise Shed holiday program aims to design a new mural every holidays and therefore creating a fresh new look for a rather obscure corner of Mt. Evelyn’’

Cr Heenan’s claims that the mural referred to illegal drugs have also been rejected by the organistion.

“The Australian Drug Foundation informed us on Wednesday that `fresh’ can be an American reference to PCP, a drug which is not typically used in Australia,’’ the statement read.

“They provided us with the link to two American websites supporting this.’’

“Now if we were to censor youth and ban every word on any drug reference list in any country we would seriously limit the vocabulary of the next generation.’’

The colourful mural was painted on the side of the Youth Enterprise Shed in Wray Cres during the July school holidays.

The mural, depicting a pink elephant, the word “fresh”, a road runner and three green figures known as Bode Pucks, was the outcome of a legal graffiti workshop held at YES with funding from Mt Evelyn Community Bank.

At last Tuesday’s council meeting, Yarra Ranges Shire Cr Tim Heenan said he believed the mural contained references to drugs and he wanted it gone.

“I was approached by a young person who said: ‘All you adults are being taken as a joke, because that mural has direct references to drug-taking’,” Cr Heenan said.

Cr Heenan said the pink elephant referred to alcoholic cocktails and an illegal hallucinogenic drug known as PCP. Cr Heenan claimed the word “fresh” was street slang for PCP (also known as angel dust), while the road runner was associated with small, illegal amphetamine labs.

Cr Heenan said he wasn’t consulted about the mural and many residents thought it was inappropriate. He said he would demand the mural be removed and no further artwork be installed on any building in Mt Evelyn.

While Morrisons, which runs the Youth Enterprise Shed, was unable to comment before deadline, the young artists gave a different explanation for the work in a community newsletter.

The newsletter says the road runner stemmed from the word “express”, while the word “fresh” was used because the artists hoped this was the response people would give when they viewed the work.

When Leader saw the mural last week, a man, who gave his name as Nick, said he had been interested in graffiti art for 15 years and couldn’t identify any drug themes in the work. He noted that the Bode Pucks were created by cartoonist Vaughn Bode in the 1970s, who was influenced by psychedelic art.

“The Bode Pucks are popular with graffiti artists worldwide, but I don’t know whether the young people would know of the psychedelic connection,” Nick said.

Yarra Valley Leader