• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 10.5.09 - Cocaine floods eastern suburbs

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Cocaine floods eastern suburbs

0,,6617871,00.jpg

By Brendan Hills

May 10, 2009 12:00am

A TYPICAL Sydney cocaine user lives in the eastern suburbs, is in his mid-30s and spends about $150 a week on half a gram that is often consumed at home.

But this is also the user the police admit they can't catch.

The commander of the NSW Police Drug Squad, Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham, said white-collar professionals who used cocaine were difficult to nab because they were discreet and had little contact with police.

"It's hard to target them because, in those social groups, they're buying from a dealer who knows them and comes to their home," he told The Sunday Telegraph.

There was a blaze of headlines when the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research (BOSCAR) released figures showing cocaine-possession offences jumped by a dramatic 58.6 per cent in 2008.

Arrests have increased from 304 in 2007 to 482 in 2008.

But behind those statistics lies the fact that most were street-level addicts or revellers at nightspots raided in police drug sweeps.

Experts say cocaine users divide into two groups - the affluent white-collar users and dependent street users - and Supt Bingham said most arrests for possession were not of affluent users.

He said police did not have any accurate figures to measure which group were the biggest cocaine users, but "investigations tend to point to white-collar user groups".

A breakdown of the BOCSAR figures shows cocaine offences were concentrated in central Sydney and the eastern suburbs.

After the CBD, with 225 arrests, the Woollahra local government area - which includes Double Bay, Point Piper and Vaucluse - recorded the second-highest number with 26. North Sydney was next on 18, followed by Randwick with 17.

Of the eastern suburbs arrests, 92 per cent involved males, with 60 per cent of these aged 20 to 29, 21 per cent aged 30 to 39 and another 11 per cent aged 40 to 49.

The most recent court statistics, from 2007, show 115 people appeared in NSW courts charged with cocaine possession. Of these, 56 received fines and only two were jailed. The others either had no conviction recorded, were given periodic detention, suspended sentences or bonds.

BOCSAR director Don Weatherburn said the court figures could be explained by one person being nabbed several times and the courts joining proceedings together.

He said street-level users were dependent addicts involved in petty crimes, whereas most white-collar users used cocaine in social settings that were "safe".

"Most users aren't on the streets; they're footballers, they're lawyers, they're wealthy people - yuppies - who do it in safe environments," Dr Weatherburn said.

With an average price per gram of $300, most cocaine use occurred in affluent areas, he said.

"It's more common in the eastern suburbs because there's more money there to buy it and dealers congregate where the demand is."

Last week, The Sunday Telegraph visited a number of eastern suburbs nightspots where signs of cocaine use were obvious.

At the Woollahra Hotel, men could be heard snorting loudly in toilet cubicles. At Double Bay's Golden Sheaf Hotel, a white, powdery residue was found on top of the toilet-paper dispenser.

The Sunday Telegraph is not suggesting that either establishment condones the use of drugs on their premises.

A police source said Sydney's social calendar drove demand, with events such as Fashion Week, race days and end-of-year corporate functions increasing use.

In February, Richard Buttrose, the nephew of Australian media identity Ita Buttrose, was arrested for selling cocaine around Paddington and Woollahra.

He was also allegedly found to have 7.7kg of cocaine and $1.3 million in cash at his Darling Point apartment.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25454898-5006010,00.html

Two groups hey.

What about the group of people who use it for partying occasionally? The ones who aren't white collar but spend time saving up beforehand.
I guess they aren't counted.

Looks like i have to get sum hahaha

Ive been wanting sum for ages hahahaha but bux is alot of cash for an hours worth of high

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the money that people I know spend a week or a month on coke it would have been cheaper to fly to america/mexico for a 7 day coke binge than doing it here ..

mother of pearl coke is the only coke you should buy ... powder is shit and is less trust worthy ..

I have only every bought like .3 from a mate now and then after a big pill and booze binge .. it great for a hang over and that's all I like it for... If you have $$$ then go ahead ...

at the moment cocaine and weed are the only really good drugs in australia at the moment ... mdxx is up the shitter ... and so is ice ...

Good, bad, it doesn't matter for me, it could be 110% pure and it still wouldn't be worth the price that it currently goes for on the street. It's a fashion accessory as much as a drug, a line of white powder that says 'look at how much disposable income I have.'

I find it interesting that they talk about 'dependant street users.' With how expensive coke is, I can't imagine real coke junkies exist, of the type they seem to be implying. There's no crack on the street and anybody who's addicted would quickly gravitate towards the stronger, cheaper and much longer lasting meth. The only people I see being seriously addicted who aren't in the high 6 digits income range are dealers who fund their own habit and gang members who have access to bulk purchases at bargain prices.

Buttrose nephew 'obsessed with cocaine'

The Daily Telegraph

October 22, 2009 12:58pm

0,,7090862,00.jpg

ITA Buttrose appeared in court today to support her nephew Richard on cocaine charges, who was "retailing" to support his own drug habit, his lawyer said.

Richard Buttrose is facing life imprisonment after being caught dealing the drug in Sydney's eastern suburbs on several occasions late last year.

Police later found more than 5kg of the drug and $1.3 million in cash at his Darling Point property.

Under cross examination from Roger Kimbell, for the Crown, Buttrose said he became a regular cocaine user, as did many of the people he mixed with.

To his circle of friends, cocaine was "just like a glass of wine", he said.

He referred to his life getting "out of control" and becoming "obsessed" with the drug, earlier referring to the "excitement" of being involved in the cocaine circle.

This morning his defence lawyer Des Fagan SC said his client should not be considered in the highest category of cocaine dealer because his personal circumstances led to it.

"He is the category of a person who is a user of cocaine and was obtaining cocaine from a supplier, had many friends who used it," he told the Sydney District Court, his high profile publisher aunt Ita among family members in the public gallery.

"In due course he has really been inducted into a level of being a person with a substantial quantity.

"He was inducted into that by the person who was supplying him."

Mr Fagan said while Buttrose was responsible for his actions his crime "does not come completely without explanation".

"He does have circumstances that make him particularly vulnerable to substance abuse," he said.

"He'd reached the point where he was endeavouring to finance, deal with his own involvement in the drug by participating at a higher level."

The court heard Buttrose faces a minimum non-parole period of 15 years. Mr Fagan argued his client, who pleaded guilty at the first available opportunity, should be given a shorter non-parole period.

Sentencing submissions before Judge Robert Sorby continue today.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26245344-421,00.html

Why would they go after a user that spends one fiddy a week....its beyond me!!!!!

I'm sorry but going from dealing enough to support your addiction to having 5kg and over a million dollars in cash is a big step. its obvious that he was a big supplier, and to say that you just end up at that level due to unfortunate circumstances is definately bending the truth.

Looks like i have to get sum hahaha

Ive been wanting sum for ages hahahaha but 300 bux is alot of cash for an hours worth of high

Sorry man, but I have to point out you guys in ADD. A gramme of real quality cocaine, say 70%+ even, is far more than an hours worth of high. I was recently in Belgium where we had some labtested stuff off Dutch friends, it was 87%. Between 5 of us we bought 1g of cocaine. It was better than anything in the U.K for last 3months and lasted 5 of us without needing more. Really good cocaine is NOT the fiendish and wirey drug people think. It is smooth, euphoric and subtle! Thats why people preffer it to speed or meth.

Real coke should give you a euphoric high, where you feel total empowerment for around 45mins off a line. Peak is around 15mins, I think too many people redose far too soon and thus it becomes wirey and anxious rather than euphoric and confident.

Here is a picture of some high quality cocaine in the U.K around 2months ago. Was pearly in colour and it was flake, real stuff :) Even better than the 87% we did recently. Around £xx a gramme..

27012009058.jpg

27012009053.jpg

Before anyone says anything, the CD was my mates mums, ok?! :D Haha

What I don't understand is why is there no direct route of importation been established beetween South America and Aus? It would make far more sense, there is clearly high demand and loads of profit is a gramme is xxx aus $'s. Transporting it all the way across the rest of the world to get it there is whats causing the stupidly high price. A gramme in Eu is usually around xxeuro/£!

I was recently in Belgium where we had some labtested stuff off Dutch friends, it was 87%. Between 5 of us we bought 1g of cocaine. It was better than anything in the U.K for last 3months and lasted 5 of us without needing more.

Interesting.....
According to this, out of of 389 different cocaine samples taken from Sao Paulo, Brazil, back in 1997 - none of it exceeded 70% in purity.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1516-93322003000100007&script=sci_arttext

I grew up in EU and started to use drugs while living there, coke never really exceeded 30-40% if u were lucky. Its been stepped on way before it reaches ur country. If u dont live in SA then u wont find pure coke.

Hmmmmm, well we all know australia is shit for drugs.

Hyroller, pills might be shit, coke expensive, acid on the other hand is everywhere.

Still i noticed a big increase of pill dealers offering me coke.

Thanks for those statistics Cornishman, very interesting, though kind of depressing that the chances of getting good coke in Australia is so low.

Well if you're willing to blow some absurd quantity of cash, you could always buy an 8ball and do an acetone wash for a gram or however much is left of pure coke.

Sorry man, but I have to point out you guys in ADD. A gramme of real quality cocaine, say 70%+ even, is far more than an hours worth of high. I was recently in Belgium where we had some labtested stuff off Dutch friends, it was 87%. Between 5 of us we bought 1g of cocaine. It was better than anything in the U.K for last 3months and lasted 5 of us without needing more. Really good cocaine is NOT the fiendish and wirey drug people think. It is smooth, euphoric and subtle! Thats why people preffer it to speed or meth.

Real coke should give you a euphoric high, where you feel total empowerment for around 45mins off a line. Peak is around 15mins, I think too many people redose far too soon and thus it becomes wirey and anxious rather than euphoric and confident.

Here is a picture of some high quality cocaine in the U.K around 2months ago. Was pearly in colour and it was flake, real stuff :) Even better than the 87% we did recently. Around £xx a gramme..

27012009058.jpg

27012009053.jpg

Before anyone says anything, the CD was my mates mums, ok?! :D Haha

I'm really struggling with your musical taste mate! Your mum's CD eh? Rubbish....... =D