Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 04/09/2009 Sedative abuse crisis - Tasmania

nabollocks

Bluelighter
HELEN KEMPTON - The Mercury Newspaper

September 04, 2009 04:00am
DRUGS_CROP-1_FF580639_90795.JPG

A packet of the sedative alprazolam, available on PBS prescription but worth $2000 on the black market.

TASMANIA is in the grip of a crisis of prescription drug abuse which is killing and leading to big social problems.
The misuse of prescribed narcotics caused 33 deaths in Tasmania in 2007 and 28 deaths last year.

Tasmanian alcohol and drug abusers are increasingly turning to alprazolam -- a sedative understood to have been involved in the 2007 death of film star Heath Ledger.

Australia-wide, PBS prescriptions of 2mg alprazolam rose from 100,000 in 2007-08 to 114,000 last year.

Most alarmingly, the prescription rate in Tasmania is double the national rate.

Tasmanian Alcohol and Drug Service clinical director Adrian Reynolds said the misuse of alprazolam in conjunction with other narcotics such as morphine was causing social harm, dependency and death.

"It is a global phenomenon which is also being felt acutely in Tasmania," Dr Reynolds said yesterday.

"The drugs work well for chronic pain and anxiety disorders but prescriptions are being abused.

"There is evidence that diverted prescription opiates are supporting an illicit market in Tasmania."

"Prescription drugs fetch a high price on the black market. A single prescription of 52mg of alprazolam is worth about $2000 on the street.

A new "real-time" pharmacy reporting system is being rolled out in the state to try to stem the rate of prescription diversion and abuse.

With more funding, the reporting system could be broadened to include GPs.

A Royal Australian College of General Practitioners report says alprazolam is being injected in conjunction with methadone to achieve a heroin-like high.

"The practice of intravenously injecting alprazolam with methadone presents a very serious risk of overdose," the college said.

In 2003 about 3 per cent of Australia's illegal drug users reported using alprazolam. That number jumped to 14 per cent in 2008.

Experts report that people arrested while under the influence of alprazolam often have no recollection of prior events.

The medication can also increase the effects of alcohol.

Medically, alprazolam is often prescribed to treat anxiety and panic disorders.

Alprazolam is listed as a declared restricted substance under the Tasmanian Poisons (Declared Restricted Substances) Order 1990.

There are so many things wrong with this article I just had to post it :)

Go Tazzie

Since when did alprazolam become a pain killer?
And how many junkies inject alprazolam?? Not many, if any...
A packet of 50x0.5mg Xanax= $2000... haha

The one thing that is interesting about this is the new pharmacy database. I wonder if this will be used in Victoria?

Keep it away from price discussion guys. Just because it's mentioned in the article doesn't mean we can discuss what are good and bad prices on the street. :)

LOL at 80$ a mg, these journo's really have no idea do they. I doubt the prescription drug abuse could be that bad, it doesn't seem to have picked up in Aus like America for some reason.

They really have made an article out of nothing here. I can see easily how more scripts would get written in Tassie, its a smaller more trusting community and yeah some patients are going to use that to their advantage, it doesn't mean theres some huge drug problem.

Wow I'm pretty much sitting on a gold mine right here then... Who the fuck would pay that much anyways!

Basically, telling everyone X drug is worth Y amount of $$ just makes those who have legitimate prescriptions feel like they are doing something wrong. It can make doctors stop prescribing these medicines even if they are the best option, and it also misinforms the general public. The whole point of "news" is that it is NEW and it is something that is happening now. This story does not fit any of these criteria. It is misinformed, incorrect, and down right dangerous to be telling people these inaccuracies.

This is just simply terrible journalism, and I wish that this sort of stuff never made it to press. It is a sign of the times.

Tasmania gripped by drug misuse

9 September 2009 | by Mark Gertskis

Tasmania is fast becoming Australia's capital for the misuse of controlled drugs, with prescription rates in the state higher than anywhere else in the country.

The extent of Tasmania's problem has been revealed by Adrian Reynolds, the clinical director of state's Alcohol and Drug Service, who warned of a growing abuse of opioids and sedatives.

"The Illicit Drug Reporting System shows injecting drug users in Tasmania continue to inject prescription drugs at a higher rate than other states and territories," Mr Reynolds said.

The misuse of opioids alone has led to 33 deaths in Tasmania in 2007 and 28 deaths in 2008.

Mr Reynolds said Tasmania's per capita consumption of morphine "over recent years" had been 36 per cent higher than the national average and, while the figure had fallen by 2008, it had been replaced by a rise in the use of OxyContin (oxycodone), which was 10 per cent higher than in the rest of the country.

Furthermore, consumption of tablet forms of the synthetic opioid methadone was almost three times the national average, Mr Reynolds revealed.

"There is evidence that diverted prescription opioids are supporting an illicit market in Tasmania," he said.

Mr Reynolds alleged that a single prescription for 20 tablets of 100 mg OxyContin could fetch up to $2,000 on the black market.

"Each year a large number of people seek treatment for opioid dependence," he said.

"These patients generally present having injected prescription drugs. This is particularly relevant in Tasmania and other regional areas where there is no readily available supply of heroin for illicit drug use."

Mr Reynolds also warned of a growing misuse of the sedative alprazolam, which has been prescribed in Tasmania at twice the national rate.

"Tasmanian legislation requires pharmacists to report monthly on all opioids, amphetamines and alprazolam dispensed in the preceding month," he said.

"While this provides an excellent database, the drawback is that information is up to six weeks old by the time it becomes available."

Pharmacy News

I don't blame them, if I lived in tasmania I'd need to abuse opiates and benzos just to keep myself sane too :|

I wonder if the lack of sunlight down there has much to do with it too.

^ Are sedatives/depressants abused in Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc more so than sunnier European countries? I'm genuinely interested :)

Temazepam
Main article: Temazepam
Temazepam, which is a strong hypnotic benzodiazepine, is being illicitly manufactured in clandestine laboratories (called jellie labs) to supply the increasingly high demand for the hypnotic drug internationally.[12] Most clandestine temazepam labs are in Eastern Europe. The way in which they manufacture the temazepam is through chemical alteration of diazepam, oxazepam or lorazepam.[13] Clandestine "jellie labs" have been identified and shutdown in Russia, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Latvia and Belarus.[14]

In the United Kingdom, temazepam is the most widely-abused legal, prescription drug. It's also the most commonly abused benzodiazepine in Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, India, Russia, China, New Zealand, Australia and some parts of Southeast Asia. In Sweden it has been banned due to a problem with drug abuse issues and a high rate of death caused by temazepam alone relative to other drugs of its group. Surveys in many countries showed that temazepam, heroin, cocaine, MDMA, cannabis, nimetazepam, and amphetamines rank among the top drugs most frequently abused.[15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_drug_trade

^ Are sedatives/depressants abused in Norway, Sweden, Iceland etc more so than sunnier European countries? I'm genuinely interested - alcohol is

What they don't say is I bet there are a lot less heroin users. I think the combination of a more tight knit community and therefore more trusting doctors and a limited/more expensive heroin supply would lead a lot of opioid lovers to inject pills.

i would , i shit you not i had a dream about it 2 nights ago

but im far from in a right mind

and 2 g for a 50 pack of .5mg? HA fukn HA

fuckin idiots , a pack of oc80's wouldnt even be near that much on the streets

i know a fair few people who will just about pay anything to keep in the same "mental or physical place" so im not surprised that people would pay upto that much per tab. but it is also not the norm from what i gather.

most people sho onsell these usually dont have a raging habit on them and can do without, the PBS usually picks up people getting them under their name and claimed through medicare

Last edited: