• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin newb here, never did it....should i try it?

humancontract

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I've been using BL for years but never needed to post til now, so I just made an account. I've actually been clean and sober for like 4 years now, however I do use Oxy pretty regularly for pain. I never tried Heroin even though I've tried mostly everything else and its like an itch I wanna scratch before it's like I'm 50 years old n I'm thinkin...shit i shoulda tried that shit in my 20s like I was gonna!

I'd like to hear what you think. I also have never had friends that used H so I would pretty much have no idea what I'm doing if I did decide to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!!! <3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Heroin is NOt something you want to try after 4 years clean and sober. Dont ruin those 4 years for yourself.

Nahhh man you shouldnt do it.

*snip*

Last edited by a moderator:
its like an itch I wanna scratch before it's like I'm 50 years old n I'm thinkin...shit i shoulda tried that shit in my 20s like I was gonna!

I don't think heroin is like travelling around Europe on a budget, or bungee jumping, or whatever else activity that some people want to do while they're still young and relatively carefree.

If anything, the later you try heroin (if at all) , the better.

I'm sure there are many 50 year old heroin addicts looking back to their 20s and wishing they HADN'T tried it, but probably not so many 50 year olds looking back on their first five decades and thinking "sure I guess I've lived a lot, but geez, it doesn't mean much because I never did heroin when I was younger".

I don't mean to be a smart ass or be rude. I hope you don't read it that way. I just don't think you need to feel like you are going to miss out on something great if you don't do heroin now (or soon).

Human Contract: this is a harm reduction board at it's core. no Bluelighter is going to say "YES GO TRY IT!!"

I have tried it. I am glad I did just so I understand the addiction thing better. I am lucky I did not get addicted. Really just dumb lucky.

If you had some notion that ANYBODY that belongs to this group would advise you to try ANY harmful substance, you don't know this group.

In fact do not be surprised if this thread gets closed.

If you expected anybody to respond to you saying... "yeah, go for it..great idea" you're kidding yourself...

If you've really been using BL for years... you should have read the abundance of heroin threads about how horrible addiction is and how fast it happened. Looking at it like something to kick off your bucket list is a bad way to think about it... it's just a recipe for disaster. Because, it's not something that can really just be expierenced once and if you think you're going to be the exception to the rule... it's quite arrogant. But hey, if becoming a strung out junkie is something you want to do "before you're 50 years old"... well, go ahead. But take my word for it and basically everyone else's on this entire site... it's not cool, it's not cute, and it's not something that anyone should ever experience.

Dude if youve made it to your 30's? 40's? Without using herion id just keep living life without it. Theres a lot of drugs out there worth trying and from experience i can tell you herion is not worth it. I had a bad herion/oc addiction and it was no fun also worst comedowns ever, it would always fuck with me b/c i have manic depression. If you wanna try some new drugs go drop some acid or something.

I have tried it. I am glad I did just so I understand the addiction thing better. I am lucky I did not get addicted. Really just dumb lucky.

i don't get this? if you only tried it a handful of times, of course you didn't get addicted, physically or mentally. for me it took say a few weeks of few times a week to feel proper cravings rather than "oh that was nice let's do that again" and like 7 months of on off like that to get even a sniffle of withdrawal. you kind of have to work at getting addicted (i.e. repeatedly taking it often over time), especially physically, but it's so easy to, because it's feels so good, and because it's not instant, you think everything is fine "i'm not gonna be like all those other suckers who got addicted", and then you're shitting your pants.

but maybe that's just me.

I really appreciate you guys' honesty...I definitely don't think BL in general is a pro-heroin or pro anything site...I just wanted honest opinions on whether the experience of the high is worth trying at least once. Also, since I've never tried it and never had any friends that did it (or admitted to me that they did) I wasn't sure how realistic it would be to expect I could do it once and not REALLY wanna do it again.

I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone....but I appreciate your answers and I'm not gonna take the chance of possibly becoming addicted just to try it once (a heroin addiction is the LAST thing I need to become right now).

Thx again BLers.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are many 50 year old heroin addicts looking back to their 20s and wishing they HADN'T tried it, but probably not so many 50 year olds looking back on their first five decades and thinking "sure I guess I've lived a lot, but geez, it doesn't mean much because I never did heroin when I was younger".

took the thoughts out of my head

if you use oxy for pain you already know what it basically feels like so just be happy and stick with your cheap prescribed legal oxy and don't worry about trying heroin. Its honestly nearly the same, if anything alot of people prefer oxy to heroin because its much more of a get up and do shit opiate and heroins is a much more noddy couch ridden opiate. I never used a needle but i used to snort oxys when they were the old formula all the time then switched to opana when that was the old formula then tried heroin about 6 months ago only snorting like i did the pills. I personally liked oxy the best then opana then heroin. If u wanna try anything and can get some old style opanas they are a very similar to heroin with that heavy noddy couch ridden high.

i don't get this? if you only tried it a handful of times, of course you didn't get addicted, physically or mentally. for me it took say a few weeks of few times a week to feel proper cravings rather than "oh that was nice let's do that again" and like 7 months of on off like that to get even a sniffle of withdrawal. you kind of have to work at getting addicted (i.e. repeatedly taking it often over time), especially physically, but it's so easy to, because it's feels so good, and because it's not instant, you think everything is fine "i'm not gonna be like all those other suckers who got addicted", and then you're shitting your pants.

but maybe that's just me.

Yeah that's how it happened with me. The first dozen times I did heroin I probably could have psychologically (certainly physically as I wasn't using every day) avoided an addiction. But after a month I remember feeling depressed because of some bullshit, and I immediately decided that I needed to do some dope. Every time I've tried to kick it, when I relapse it's taken me right back to where I was when I left off. In the past few months I've managed to avoid being too strung out, thanks to no money and methadone maintenance, but that's pretty sad that it takes that combination to keep me from shooting dope into my hands a couple times a month or more (sometimes way more). That's the kind of shit you face... Oh and then there are the withdrawals, the lying, the stealing, the guilt, the possibility of catching a case, the possibility of OD, and sometimes prostitution. Sure some people manage to remain 'chippers', but not many. I've done a lot of drugs, and IMO while heroin isn't the best, it's the one I'll always fall back on first cause it gives you the sensation of having everything you want for a few hours...Or at least the frame of mind where you feel like what you have is more than enough. Why know that Sensation. I agree that if you've done oxycodone you have a good idea of what the high is like, but IMO heroin IS the best opiate IME. I can't judge anyone as I made the decision to try it myself. But you're past your twenties you've probably been able to build some adequate coping skills. I started using dope when I was eighteen, (24 now), so I never really have been able to develope and evaluate my emotions in a way that's healthy (cause if I got just a little bit of cash, I can just say 'fuck it'. It sucks. I'm way luckier than others, I've never been homeless, but Ive lost a ton of self respect, time, money and relationships due to my heroin use.

its like an itch I wanna scratch before it's like I'm 50 years old n I'm thinkin...shit i shoulda tried that shit in my 20s like I was gonna!

Scratch that itch even once and you will crave that itch for the rest of your life. I won't lie to you, it doesn't happen to everyone. But its very possible and also very likely.

I won't just say NOO DONT DO IT ITS BAD! I will try to go in to at least a little detail..

Heroin is pretty similar to oxy, so if you already do that and get a script for it, stick with it. Moving to heroin and if you start snorting or shooting it your tolerance will start to rise greatly. Maybe not the first month, or the second, or hell, maybe not the 1st year...you may not notice too many ill-side effects. But sooner or later you are going to realize you don't want to stop, then when you WANT to you CANT stop. Your mental addiction by then will be pretty severe and the physical withdrawals will be PURE hell. Think of the worst flu of your life then go ahead and multiply that by 1000. Once you do that, you ALMOST know how opiate WD's feel.

Its just not worth it with all the risks involved. We all once said "i smoke weed, ill never do oxycontin!" then a couple months later its "okay so what I snort a few oxys on the weekends no big deal" another couple months go by..."i switched to heroin, but only because its cheaper for the same high...its not like im shooting it or anything!" then a few WEEKS later its "i shoot up every day now, but only because its the most cost effective way"

Point being, its impossible for 95% of us humans to set limits and stick with them on a drug like heroin. Eventually given enough time you will turn into a person you no longer recognize. You will do things you never thought you were even capable of. All in the name of "1 shot of dope just to get well!"

And I'm not just saying all this, I won't be like some ppl, ill be honest, SOME people can handle using occasionally. But most of us cant. I don't think any of us addicts here will tell you its worth trying and figuring it out. Its simply NOT WORTH THE RISK! Sure, I love the rush, its great! But I let it destroy my life and take everything I held near and dear. I used to say it took everything but its not true. I LET it since I took the drugs. Only one person is at fault and thats the abuser.

All I can say is if you haven't tried heroin, there is NO REASON TO. It's not great, and not better than morphine. I guess a matter of preference.
But why try something that has killed SO MANY people, even famous ones that the world misses greatly, even still to this day....
I could say that it is the "road to ruin", but it sounds so cliche - even though it IS the road to ruin.
I know, because it killed my best friend when he was 31 years old.
I really hope that this post makes just ONE person change their mind about trying it.

Wow 4 years, quite the bump.. anyways,why isnt this merged yet?

- hs

Given the quality of most low-level street heroin(by the time it gets to the end user, I mean) you'd probably be disappointed. Especially if you use Oxy's regularly, you'd probably get a better buzz from Oxy's TBH.
And if you don't know people who fuck with heroin already, it's gonna take a lot of work to find some even DECENT H I imagine.

I tried it once, was too worried about the cut (or cutS by the look of it) so I ended up trading it for pills or something. I was very disappointed.

But for me it all comes down to that; purity.
With pills 9.5X out of 10 you KNOW for a fact what you're getting, how much, and what other inactive ingredients are in the pill. Doseages of medications in pills are weighed to the microgram....heroin is probably sold slightly underweight but 50-70% of what you're buying is probably Active cuts...procaine, fentanyl, Benadryl, etc....they literally cut it with anything.

People say heroin is Sooooo addictive, but for me the anxiety/paranoia of wondering what it's cut with is just too much...ruins any buzz I did get. I'd honestly rather have a giant bucket of MSIR or even Norco 10s than a kilo of heroin.

^ depends on your locale, to a large extent. A lot of the heroin that's been seized in recent decades has been decent high in diacetylmorphine content, actually

DEA "National Heroin Threat Assessment Survey" said:
Between the 1980s and 1990s, the purity of the heroin brought into the United States increased significantly. In 1981, the average retail-level purity of heroin was 10 percent. By 1999, that had increased to an average of 40 percent.6 (See Chart 5.)