• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Zealand votes to legalize euthanasia but not marijuana

I mean, I don't want to get into a dick-measuring contest, because I think NZ's healthcare system is great. But paying to see a GP is a bad idea if it discourages people from visiting the GP (which studies have shown it can do).
for anybody under 18 its free. If you are unemployed its free, if you are earning very low amounts of money it is discounted. If you are rich you probably have health insurance which covers the GP visits anyway. if you truly can't afford it just walk into the ER room and see a nurse and get free diagnosis and medications. a GP can earn probably a million dollars a year in the cities where its more expensive but in rural towns they earn upwards of 400k a year and the fees to see them are usually under $10 each for the poor communities or totally free.

Reactions: CFC
I mean, that's a win and a loss, rather than 2 losses at least, right?

Theres always next year. Like many american states, sometimes you just need to keep pushing til the momentum is right.

Well, first and foremost it obviously sucks absolutely massively that they have not done the only right and sensible thing and legalised that medicinal plant once and finally all over there Jesus Christ.

but as a deep thinker myself and philosopher of all things in life and beyond I have long felt that under the rightly determined circumstances that some sort of assisted dying should be ia legal option for humans who are suffering more than they can bear and whose families and relatives are suffering prolongs trauma throughout the dying process not knowing when and how it will happen and how they will cope afterwards.

I feel that in terminally ill cases where there is an extraordinary level of pain and somebody really does not wish to go on it is kind of unequivocal to having our sick and dying pets put down which always breaks our heart of course.

But in such a potential scenario I have always visualised there being a substantial and well-developed support network for both the proposed dying and family relatives so that there is an all-round positive approach and acceptance of the situation rather than this massive anxiety we all face about when we will drop and what we leave behind and have or haven't said etc and how painful and unexpected death can be for any of us.

Whoa shit sorry everybody I somehow how I got way off Topic and completely lost track of my original point lol!

The main point I was going to make was that I think it's actually a good little step in the right direction potentially to legalise some sort of assisted dying although I imagine it would take some considerable time to determine the circumstances and qualifications and training staff etc.

But then, I would be so much happier if they has just legalised cannabis to be honest because then maybe wouldn't be quite so many seeking euthanasia lol for a start!

But it does not surprise me of course I think even the United Kingdom will be at least another 6 to 10 years now after this recent I won't say what took up all of the focus and all of the pressure of the public momentum building on the government to act to at least make medical cannabis more available without such heavily extortionate fees as is such currently.

And essentially honour their own word and admittance that this treatment Avenue has strong legitimate evidence and it is life saving in certain cases but still they hold it back like pennies in their pocket.

Swines all day!

Last edited:
since it lost i think the law is that it can not be voted on again for the next 5-10 years.

since it lost i think the law is that it can not be voted on again for the next 5-10 years.
That's pretty fucked up...

Do police come after you for pot there? Is everyone in New Zealand white so the police don't profile? I have been stopped with weed on me many times in the Southern U.S. and been let off for being white essentially.

If your maori or islander and you get caught the police will fuck you over. But if your white they will most likely just take your weed and give a verbal or written warning depending.

Honestly people smoke weed in the main street of auckland all the time i always smell it there its pretty safe to do so.

A white 19 year old kid with rich parents got let off from the courts for selling LSD, MDMA and a range of drugs he was importing over 1k tabs and since he was white and his parents important they let him off. Meanwhile if your maori in a poor area with a few plants they slam you in jail for a few years.