Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

New Zealand BZP self regulation committee taking submissions

BilZ0r

Bluelight Crew
As most of you know benzylpiperazine (BZP) is legal in New Zealand, and can be sold to anyone. The Social Tonics Association New Zealand (STANZ) is an organization set up by most of the big Party Pills suppliers to created and enforce a code of conduct for people selling party pills.

This organization (which an be found here) is taking submissions on what should be in its code. You can submit your ideas on what they should do here.

Benzylpiperazine has had very little research done on it. In fact, all of the real research (only about 4 articles) was done in the late 80s-early 90s, by a Hungarian university which was in part funded by a drug company trying to market BZP as an antidepressant.

I suggest to you all, that you go and make whatever submissions you feel are necessary to safely control BZP usage in New Zealalnd, as well the fact that a small percentage of profits be used to fund INDEPENDENT research into BZP in New Zealand.

I still can't believe that bzp and its relatives are legal!! Imo, i get a better buz eating 2.5 charge pills than snorting a gram of speed. I'm aware that meth and bzp do the same thing but in different ways, but how is one legal and not the other. Don't get me wrong though, i sure as hell aint complaining. If Bzp etc are made illegal it would reverse the latest trend of more and more people using them as a great alternative to 'P' and speed...

what made me LMAO was going to a "where I get my stuff place" and they were trying to sell me a pack 2 / 6? for $5 cheaper than the retail outlet!? LOL also theres another product out that I saw in the head shop yesterday, apparently its 2 x stronger haha, still a silly pill. But thx for the update ill pass the links around to mates cheers..

BilZ0r said:
Benzylpiperazine has had very little research done on it. In fact, all of the real research (only about 4 articles) was done in the late 80s-early 90s, by a Hungarian university which was in part funded by a drug company trying to market BZP as an antidepressant.

How on earth could something be made legal with so little research done on it?

8)

alcohol was legal for a long time before research was ever done on it :)

in any case, anything is legal until its criminalised.

MORE RESEARCH NOW!

apollo said:
How on earth could something be made legal with so little research done on it?

Well as VelocideX says, stuff doesn't necessarily need research, BUT, in the EACD report on BZP, they state "more information on the health effects of BZP and similar substances should be obtained" as one of the executive summary points. In fact, it is there first point, but how the hell is that going to happen? Unless they throw out some funding, new information isn't just going to spring from the ground!

Hi,

My name is Matt Bowden, I want to start by identifying myself as the spokesperson & chairman for this industry association.

Just to flesh out a bit more what BilZ0r said and expand on the discussion points, the Social Tonics Association has come about as the industry sector attempting to put some risk management framework around new recreational substances that come along, to give law makers some additional drug categories other than prohibition.

Our country has an select health committee "Expert Advisory Committee on Drugs" which looks at each new substance and decides whether there is sufficient evidence of harm to schedule it. A couple of years ago they looked at 14B, GBL, GHB and decided to schedule them. They were filling the hospital emergency wards every weekend.

More recently they looked at BZP and decided not to schedule it, instead asking the Ministry of Health to investigate options for a new category of "non traditional designer substances." It seems we have categories and regulations for FOOD (things consumed for nutritional value), for LIQUOR (consumed to induce drunkenness), for MEDICINES (consumed for therapeutic purposes, primarily to treat or prevent disease), for ILLEGAL DRUGS (prohibited if unacceptably dangerous) but no category for substances consumed for self indulgence or social lubrication or spiritualisation or other reason such as CHOCOLATE, KAVA, ENTHEOGENS, EMPATHOGENS, SHAMANIC SACRAMENTS.

We're working with our Ministry of Health to remedy this, because it has been suggested that this shortfall in society is the reason why people take illegal drugs. Something is missing that man has used for centuries. The ability to consume something to take his mind far away from the working week and into social or "party" mode. Particularly members who feel a part of the dance community who have centuries of ritualistic historical usage of such tonics as part of their behaviour patterns.

It is considered that a high enough percentage of the population are choosing to use recreational substances that there should be a balance between prohibition and liberty, in the interests of harm minimisation. (EACD report on BZP available at www.stanz.org.nz/documents.htm)

We have called this category SOCIAL TONICS for now.

What happened next is that as the "barrier arm" as it were has lifted, we are starting to see the market push towards saturation, and some form of more advanced strategy or regulation is required. The Code of Practice we developed is essentially a risk management framework. It seeks to put harm minimisation policies into practice. It advocates assessment of the risks associated with each substance and regulates them accordingly.

It's been suggested that we have a sub-committee made up perhaps of drug policy analysts, representatives of the treatment sector and industry reps to co regulate the industry in conjuntion with the Ministry of Health and keep it moving in the direction of harm reduction.

As BilZ0r suggests, independant risk analysis needs to be carried out on ingredients that do not have a history of safe use, as otherwise we're exposing the community to unknown risk elements which could be hazardous, and suggestions for models in this area are welcomed and very much needed, not just for BZP, although specific comment is requested on the risk analysis of BZP, but generically for all new substances.

BilZ0r brings up a good point, should Social Tonics be taxed heavily as alcohol is and the revenue paid directly to the tax office to be included in the national budget, or should it be earmarked for further research?

Also it's been suggested that revenue from this industry should fund the setup of culturally relevant healing centres, chillzones, rehabs, paramedics in clubs and other harm minimisation services amongst the communities from whom the revenue has been generated as a form of sustainable ecology.

We are hoping to model something really unique in New Zealand as far as drug policy goes, taking us somewhere far more progressive than last century. If we get it right, perhaps we can model it to other nearby nations. In the least, we'll be a great place to take a trip.

We may only get one chance at this though, and we really don't want to bugger it up, so please if you have any constructive criticism or suggestions, drop us a line.

(Thanks for your input BliZ0r, looking forward to reading, presenting & hopefully implementing your submission.)

Thanks for reading, will attempt to tackle any questions, but if you want to make suggestions to the industry, please do it through the stanz.org.nz website so that everybody involved at our end can see them.

Matt Bowden
www.stargateinternational.org
www.angelcare.org.nz
www.stanz.org.nz

yer, what is the status of BZP in australia and specifically QLD ?

Thanks for the information Matt :)

BZP is illegal in most of Australia. I know for certain in QLD and WA.

‘(2) Proceedings for an offence against the Act committed before the commencement of this section may be continued or started as if the Drugs Misuse Amendment Regulation (No. 2) 2002 had not been made.’.

5 Amendment of sch 2 (Dangerous drugs)

(1) Schedule 2, ‘3,4-methelenedioxyethylamphetamine (MDEA)’—
omit.

(2) Schedule 2—
insert—
‘N-Benzylpiperazine (BZP)

From 2nd page here

Hey is it true Queensland has an "analogues act" - is it online?

Is there any such thing as an analogues act in Australia?