Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

New Treatment/Cure for Ketamine Bladder Cystitis

Pfafffed

Moderator: PD
Staff member
"Complete reversal of the clinical symptoms and image morphology of ketamine cystitis after intravesical hyaluronic acid instillation: A case report."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29995815/

Ou YL, et al. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018.

Abstract
RATIONALE: Ketamine abuse is an emerging issue in many countries, and ketamine cystitis (KC) is a growing disease which more and more urologists may encounter with. There was no gold standard diagnostic criteria of ketamine cystits established yet, but well-accepted with the positive substance abuse history and clinical symptoms. The clinical presentation of ketamine cystitis varies and may mimic those presented in interstitial cystitis (IC), such as voiding frequency, urgency with urge incontinence, dysuria, nocturia, burning sensation during urination, post urination pain, painful hematuria, and small bladder capacity, but there are still differences that KC presented with more urgency, hematuria, pyuria and upper urinary tract involvement such as ureteral stenosis, vesico-ureteric reflux, hydronephrosis and renal function impairment.

PATIENT CONCERNS: We presented an interesting case with a 36-year-old man who's symptoms mimic acute prostatitis but there was no positive pathogen been cultured. The computed tomography (CT) findings revealed asymmetrical bladder wall thickening, which misleading us to the impression of bladder cancer. After the cystoscopy with bladder biopsy, the pathology revealed severe inflammation without malignancy. After that, we prescribed anticholinergic agent, beta-3 agonist and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for him, but in vain.

DIAGNOSES: Erosive cystitis with prominent infiltration by eosinophils, lymphocytes, neutrophils and plasma cells.

INTERVENTIONS: Then we introduced hyaluronic acid (HA) instillation, once a week for total 10 times.

OUTCOMES: After the treatment, his urgency, frequency, nocturia improved and his bladder capacity increased from less than 100ml to 350mL per urination. The following magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and bladder biopsy result revealed complete reversal.

LESSONS: To our literature review, this is the first case of ketamine cystitis presented with asymmetrical bladder wall thickening, which may be considered as an irreversible change, but turns out complete reversal of the clinical symptoms and image morphology after merely intravesical hyaluronic acid instillation.

PMID 29995815 [Indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID PMC6076118

This I like to hear, now we can all snort K til our hearts content knowing they can fix us now right?! ;)

Really glad to hear though cuz I?ve got people close to me who use K heavily and I worry.

-GC

Im going to buy a few months supply and try the oral route..
Even if its not as effective it should have some positive effect.

Still have some slight issues even though i havent done K for months.

Yeah, oral bioavail should be zero or near zero. I guess is way too big to enter the blood, so you probably just poo` it. Not sure, it´s just an speculation, would be nice if somebody can chime with precise info

Oral K has low BA but it's certainly not zero. I believe an oral K dose is 300-400mg? For a hole I mean. I've heard some people say it's their favorite ROA in terms of qualitative effects, it's just not efficient.

I always found it weird that K is like that because the other ACHs I've tried all have pretty good oral BA. For example MXE I find is stronger orally than nasally. Same with DCK.

Well there are several supplements containing ha along with chondritrin and other collagen forming agents..
So hopefully it can have some kind of systematic effect.

^^ I believe Hexagon Sun was referring to Hyaluronic Acid as having zero oral bioavailability, rather than ketamine.

However it seems this is actually not the case, there are a few studies indicating that oral HA has measurable benefit for other conditions.

Oral hyaluronan relieves wrinkles: a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study over a 12-week period
Oral Administration of Polymer Hyaluronic Acid Alleviates Symptoms of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study over a 12-Month Period

In fact, interestingly there is even research into bladder related conditions - granted, not ketamine specific, as might be expected, but specific to quite a different demographic - but certainly promising:

Orally Administered Combination of Hyaluronic Acid, Chondroitin Sulfate, Curcumin, and Quercetin in the Prevention of Postcoital Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections: Analysis of 98 Women in Reproductive Age After 6 Months of Treatment

I found that stuff just via a few quick googles for "oral hyaluronic acid" and "hyaluronic acid bladder", I will note, so there is quite possibly more stuff out there. In fact it does appear that the idea of using hyaluronic acid to treat bladder inflammation is not new, although this is probably the first study specifically studying it's effects on "Ketamine-Induced Cystitis". Prior to this brief research I honestly expected to find that oral hyaluronic acid was of little to no benefit except perhaps by placebogenic effects, but I was pleasantly surprised and I'm thinking now it looks like oral administration might indeed have some benefit.

Given that the potential benefits of HA do not seem to be specific to the ketamine-induced version of bladder inflammation I would suggest it might be the case that some other orally administered substances would be of some benefit too (such as Chondroitin Sulfate, Curcumin and Quercetin, as in the study above) although I haven't actually researched any of these myself, everyone please, do your own research of course.

Also found an interesting anecdotal report from a couple of years ago regarding the benefits of oral HA on cystitis:

IC for years + lots of tears + Hyaluronic Acid Supplements = Game Changer - Interstitial cystitis

Finally, the following article doesn't mention Ketamine specifically, or even oral HA (only intravesical), but it's a discussion of some of the potential treatments of IC and I thought there were parts of it that are of interest:

The Interstitial Cystitis Syndrome: Intravesical and Oral Treatment

Specifically, it mentions a couple of other oral medicines - cimetidine and montelukast - that have shown benefit in treating IC, or "Painful Bladder Syndrome" - a little more googling and both of these do indeed look to have some promising research behind them, although I would surmise that the benefits are potentially more symptomatic, or perhaps for preventing more "permanent" damage in the early stages of such conditions by treating the inflammation before it becomes chronic, rather than actually facilitating healing... but still, definitely interesting.

I bought a bottle of doctors best brand HA with chondritrin sulfate and collagen.

Not expecting much but its worth a shot if it can improve my bladder health.

I bought a bottle of doctors best brand HA with chondritrin sulfate and collagen.

Not expecting much but its worth a shot if it can improve my bladder health.

Keep us updated!

How is your bladder health anyway if you don't mind me asking?
Mines terrible, I reckon it holds about 100ml tops, when I need to go I have to go if u get me, can barely hold it. I have to wake up to piss every 2-4 hours most nights. And when I binge on K I always get snot and blood :/ I have fucking Abused it though since I was about 13, I'm 31 now lol

I went doctors years ago for pissing big lumps of snot n black blood and they told me it was down to 50ml capacity, and if I carried on I'd have a few months of my usage at the time (15-20g a day every day) before it would be piss bag time. I was literally pissing a red shot glasses worth about 50-60 times a day. I had a few months off in rehab and it got loads better, now I use a few grams a day on a couple days a week and it's loads better, but still so bad compared to a normal bladder. So this interests me alot.

It really depends on a few factors, ive always had a higher frequency of urination then anyone i know.
When training jiu jitsu or drinking beer i have to go several times per hour.

I dont think i done to much damage with K but its def not improved it.
Last year i had a few major binges and in the end i actually got some pain that really put me off.
Usually it takes me about 1-2weeks to feel normal after a binge.
But after that i never fully recovered.

So i took about 4months totally off before doing it again.
Now im on a break for hopefully at least 3-4months again.
I drink about 3-4cups of coffee most days and that makes me pee alot.
Im going to try to take a breaks from that too so i can gauge what my normal is.

Also i started taking some home made edible cannabis oil a week ago.
Seems to help with the frequency and general inflammed feeling ive had around my bladder from my last binge.

Super interesting links Vastness!. Yepp, I meant oral bioaval of HA.

I find quite disturbing the only image of inject something in the testes, LOL. That can not be a cure for nothing. Great that oral should work too, even if in a slower fashion.

My disso use is pretty light and my bladder is working nicely, but I really want it to keep doing its job 4 ever

The OP says the HA to be infused in the bladder (via testes... I supposed) or I read it bad, maybe? LOL. Yeah, deffo I read it badly. So he means injected in a standard vein?. Im non native english, my bad!!

^ I believe it would be infused via a catheter inserted into the urethra... no need to get the testes involved. ;)

Yeah the testes seem like the worst possible way to get liquid into the bladder. In fact I don't even see how it could accomplish that.