• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs New, novel... stimulant?

CNSninja

Greenlighter
[Edit: for clarity's sake, I have received word from the vendor that the novel stimulant (confirmed) that they've sent me a sample of is 2-(methylamino)-1-(phenylpropan)-1-aminium chloride(an analogue of methamphetamine, not an analogue of MDMA).]

Hello, folks. I'm not sure if this belongs in the advanced chem. section, though what I'm asking about is definitely 'other drugs.' I'm really hoping some of the formally educated chemists and pharmacovores around here, more intelligent than I, can help me shine some light on this novel IUPAC name.

I recently placed a relatively small order with a popular Chinese vendor who was kind enough to throw in a 1g sample of a newly synthesized "MDMA analogue" (as they referred to it, although after some investigation I quickly discovered this isn't the case,) which they later also referred to as an "MA analogue" (I believe this must mean' methamphetamine' analogue, which would make more sense from what I can imagine of the structure,) although I'm not yet 'formally' trained in chemistry, so I'm not sure that what I'm imagining is even accurate.

The IUPAC name they gave me was "2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-aminum chloride."
I think the "aminum chloride" part must've been a typo, and they might've meant something else.
(I have contacted the vendor to clarify whether this was intentional or a spelling error and will update the thread when I hear back.)

[Edit: chemical confirmed by vendor to be:
2-(methylamino)-1-(phenylpropan)-1-aminium chloride(a new and novel analogue of methamphetamine.)
They specified the chemical formula as C10H17ClN2
They specified the molecular weight as 200.71

The first thing I noticed was the IUPAC name's similarity to that of pseudoephedrine- (S,S)-2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-ol, as well as its similarity to the IUPAC name of ephedrine, (1R,2S)-2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-ol, as well as its similarity to cathinone's IUPAC name, (2S)-2-amino-1-phenylpropan-1-one. It's also close to methamphetamine's IUPAC name, 'N-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine.' I don't quite know what to make of this novel chemical.

I can't find any reference to 2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-aluminum chloride online anywhere, and the best I, personally, can do for sketching it's structure for a picture--to use with what little I know of SAR--is to guess, but I don't know exactly where the 'aluminum chloride' goes or how it's formed. Some of my guess sketches have been interesting- others not so much. My best guess is that this substance is closer to pseudoephedrine than anything else, but I could be deeply mistaken about that (I hope so!)

My biggest questions--in no specific order, really--are:

[ ] 1) Has anyone heard anything about
["2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-aminium chloride"] anywhere?

[X] 2) Can anyone confirm which chemical this is most closely structurally and/or functionally related to? Pseudoephedrine? Ephedrine? Methamphetamine? Cathinone? Something else?

[X] 3) Can we accurately define its chemical class? E.g. substituted amphetamine, substituted cathinone, substituted nasal decongestant/bronchodilator lol, et cetera.

[X] 4a) Can anybody find or draw/create us an accurate structure for this chemical and post it here? I would be so grateful... That would help me out so much.
[ ] 4b) Can anybody glean anything from that structure other than that it possibly possesses stimulant properties? (E.g. does anything about the structure specifically suggest that it might be unsafe to "smoke" (vaporize), similarly to 4-FA, for example (fluorine.))

Really, any information would be GREATLY appreciated, even if it's just some good old reasonable speculation.

The vendor plans on stocking it as a product if it turns out to be a winner, but I don't want to be the first one to *ahem* "run it through the lab," especially if I can't confirm some specific things about it first.
I'll have some of the other chem I ordered to start research on until I can learn more about "[2-(methylamino)-1-phenylpropan-1-aminium chloride.] If any chemistry heroes out there can tell me more about this novel compound, I might be persuaded to do a bit of research on it for the community.

I really hope it's something worth investigating.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks a million.

Last edited:
sounds interesting man, i don't quite have much to add other than maybe put its name in the title of the thread?

Chemistry is definitely not my forte, but I think you need to get some clarification from them before moving forward. Are you sure they didn't mean 'amine hydrochloride' and the postulated IUPAC name seems more like methcathinone than anything else to me.

I'll add it now. I almost did that at first but I was afraid it'd make the title too long.

Edit 1:
As it turns out, I can't figure out how to edit the title of the thread...

Edit 2:
Are you sure they didn't mean 'amine hydrochloride' and the postulated IUPAC name seems more like methcathinone than anything else to me.
Thanks for the input, that's an excellent catch. That sounds far more interesting than an analogue of Sudafed haha. I've contacted the vendor and I'll update the thread when I hear back.

Last edited:
please use the edit button to combine posts rather than double/triple posting CNS mate.

-aminum might be a typo for -aminium, which refers to a quaternary amine (nitrogen with a positive charge and an extra bond, usually with hydrogen). If that's the case, then I think it might look like this:
3uw88TU.png

That's one I wouldn't have even known to consider. Aminum.
I believe that perfectly adheres to the chemical formula, something that took me a couple counts to confirm. I'm not the best at counting atoms in my head, trying to keep track. Initially I had a few questions about the formula and about the extra bond on the nitrogen, but after remembering to add the extra hydrogen along with the chloride, and re-reading your post and stared at the structure for another minute...I think you nailed it. I didn't even know about the positive nitrogen with the extra bond- the quaternary amine. That's so cool.
I'm pumped to hear what the vendor says. I'll bet anything that's exactly what they meant.
Thanks, Affinity.

Edit- (question for anyone with an answer...)
So to confirm, the above structure is technically a substituted amphetamine, and specifically not a substituted cathinone, right? Since the quaternary amine (yeah, buddy %),) at the β-position of the carbon chain is where the C=O double bond of cathinones (β-keto-amphetamines) is, by definition? Do I have that quite right?

ATTENTION-

UPDATE- 9/16/17:
The vendor responded to me, but the email got lost in my spam folder and I just found it. Apologies to anyone who was following this thread and missed this update- I'd put a new comment if I could but I don't wanna double-post. I have added the corrected name to the original post, and attached is the chemical structure the vendor sent me.

2zs8fh5.jpg

Last edited:
-aminum might be a typo for -aminium, which refers to a quaternary amine (nitrogen with a positive charge and an extra bond, usually with hydrogen). If that's the case, then I think it might look like this:
3uw88TU.png

Same structure I came up with from the name...but it seems off that the primary amine would form the aminium chloride salt and not the more basic secondary amine.