• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe New guy here. Would really appreciate some quick advice

Run Taylor

Greenlighter
I am new to this site and made this account in particular to ask this question.

Swim does not have any opiate tolerance, and is not typically a user. Today at 6pm he was given a 8mg strip of Suboxone, all of which he took at once. Fucked him up, was not expecting that. It is now 10:40pm, breathing is pretty slow, threw up earlier, pupils super small, heart beating relatively slow...

Is it possible to have a fatal overdose off a single pill when you have no tolerance? Swim has work in the morning, but hes scared to go to sleep.

Really really appreciate anybody who can answer. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Bluelight :) we don't use Swim here.

To answer your questions, yes it's absolutely possible to overdose from a single pill and die, it all depends on the strength of the drug and your tolerance. You can be lucky that buprenorphine is only a partial agonist or else you'd be most likely dead right now. For the next time please check the dosage before taking a drug. Buprenorphine has a pretty long duration of effect and half life. The effects last up to a day and due to the long half life it'll take a few days for your body to excrete the bupe. Imo you should have someone around for the next few hours to keep an eye on you and check your breathing.

Hello and welcome to Bluelight :) we don't use Swim here.

To answer your questions, yes it's absolutely possible to overdose from a single pill and die, it all depends on the strength of the drug and your tolerance. You can be lucky that buprenorphine is only a partial agonist or else you'd be most likely dead right now. For the next time please check the dosage before taking a drug. Buprenorphine has a pretty long duration of effect and half life. The effects last up to a day and due to the long half life it'll take a few days for your body to excrete the bupe. Imo you should have someone around for the next few hours to keep an eye on you and check your breathing.

Thank you for replying very much. I took it six hours ago. I have zero opiate tolerance. Do you think at any point tonight it would be safe for me to sleep? Or should i pull an all nighter? I dont feel particularly messed up. Just sick to my stoumach... I feel very stupid.

Did you just swallow the pill or did you use it sublingual?
The peak of bupe is around 4-8 hours after taking it so it may get stronger still. How many breath do you take in a minute? Imo it's always better to be safe than sorry so better stay awake for the next few hours.

I melted it on my tongue, but swallowed it after like 30-40 seconds. About 14 breaths a minuet, just timed it

Ill stay awake all night, i dont want to take chances. But for someone in my particular situation, how many hours do you think beyond a reasonable doubt i could wait before sleeping without being in danger?

14 breaths a minute is totally normal, so that's good.
With bupe the bioavailability via the oral route is only about 10% while sublingual is around 30-50% iirc. Given the short time you had it on your tongue and the fact that your breathing is normal I'd say that you should be alright, but still imo try to stay awake for a while just to be safe.

Beyond a reasonable doubt I'd say given the duration of action of up to 24 hours + the 30-60 min for the effects to come up I'd say something around 15-20 hours after ingestion should be good.

The good thing is you found a great forum (Bluelight is amazing, a lot of really nice and intelligent people) and you now know that you should check the dosage (for dosage advice check out the subforum Basic Drug Discussion) before you take it ;)
Please post an update in a few hours so I know that you're alright

The good thing is you found a great forum (Bluelight is amazing, a lot of really nice and intelligent people) and you now know that you should check the dosage (for dosage advice check out the subforum Basic Drug Discussion) before you take it ;)
Please post an update in a few hours so I know that you're alright
Yeah i have been reading this site for a long time, just never had a situation i needed to join for... 7 hours in now, it just feels like i keep having to remind myself to breath and im starting to get tired. So if i start nodding out or something ill make some coffee. This stuff is straight scary, this is why i never usually mess around with downers

If you have to keep reminding yourself to breath that's not good. Normally you'll start to nod and then stop breathing, but I think (that's just a guess, I don't think that there a papers about it and I personally never really dabbled with opioids, so we'd need someone with experience to chime in) that it's possible that you can stop breathing without falling asleep before as breathing and sleeping are mediated by different parts of the brain with different densities of opioid receptors.
Do you have a friend that could come over and keep an eye on you for a few hours?
Drinking a cup of coffee seems like a good idea imo

I am new to this site and made this account in particular to ask this question.

Swim does not have any opiate tolerance, and is not typically a user. Today at 6pm he was given a 8mg strip of Suboxone, all of which he took at once. Fucked him up, was not expecting that. It is now 10:40pm, breathing is pretty slow, threw up earlier, pupils super small, heart beating relatively slow...

Is it possible to have a fatal overdose off a single pill when you have no tolerance? Swim has work in the morning, but hes scared to go to sleep.

Really really appreciate anybody who can answer. Thank you.

You just took between 20-40 times the normal analgesic dose of buprenorphine for a non opuate tollerant individual. Had this been just about any opioid othan a partial agonist/antagonist like bupe which has a ceiling effect, you'd probably be dead. If it had been oxycontin for example.. you breathing would have stopped almost 100% certainty. 14 breaths per minute is fine. Shsme you didnt have a way to measure your oxygen saturation (I can do it on my phone.. not sure what kind you have?) as well. Breathing rate and O2 sats are probably your best markers of respiratory depression that you can easily take yourself.

For future reference, never confuse the dose of a drug that someone who is actively opioid dependent routinely gets prescribed with what an opioid nieve individual needs for a buzz.

I bet this is a mistake you wont make again.

You just took between 20-40 times the normal analgesic dose of buprenorphine for a non opuate tollerant individual. Had this been just about any opioid othan a partial agonist/antagonist like bupe which has a ceiling effect, you'd probably be dead. If it had been oxycontin for example.. you breathing would have stopped almost 100% certainty. 14 breaths per minute is fine. Shsme you didnt have a way to measure your oxygen saturation (I can do it on my phone.. not sure what kind you have?) as well. Breathing rate and O2 sats are probably your best markers of respiratory depression that you can easily take yourself.

For future reference, never confuse the dose of a drug that someone who is actively opioid dependent routinely gets prescribed with what an opioid nieve individual needs for a buzz.

I bet this is a mistake you wont make again.

Absolutly i will not make it again. I am now 9 hours in, eyes are still pinholed, mouth still dry, breathing i cant tell if its shallow because of how worried i am or not. I already am not going to be sleeping tonight, but i just want to know im at least close to the point where i wont die while staying awake

Is there anything i can do or take around the house to help my body a bit? Is it normal that im not really tired?... It came in a strip which i swallowed in less than a minuet... Reading online people are saying keep it in your mouth for 10 minuets otherwise youre wasting it... Does that mean my stoumach will destroy it, or is it just going to take longer to hit me?

Swallowing it decrease bioavailability, meaning that only around 10% so around.0.8 mg from the 8 mg will be active, while holding it in your mouth increases bioavailability, meaning that more of the drug will be active (hope I explained it good enough, if not just tell me what you didn't understand :))

Would it be possible to get some naloxone from a pharmacy? And as a_w suggested measuring your oxygen level would be great.

Another thing I wanted to add is that you shouldn't take any cns depressants (I.e. alcohol, benzos, opioids) for a few days just to be safe as buprenorphine stays in your system for quite a while

No pharmacies are open right now. And i have no way to measure my oxygen level. I just dont understand how im close to 10 hours in and generally i dont feel very shitty... How big is this stuffs window to kill me in?

I dont typically take drugs or drink. I have an ecig ive been smoking. Should i not be doing that? Shouldnt i be tired or something i dont get this at all. Im just so freaked out