• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

new ADHD drug, opinions

Everything about this drug pisses me off.

Not a stim. Not controlled. Tested and marketed for young children. Side effects resemble an anti depressant.

"Viloxazine was sold as an antidepressant in Europe for several decades, but was never approved by the FDA"

Sounds like ass. Feels like a dubious alternative to stims. Like they were forced to come up with an alternative and this is the best they could do. I'm speculating.

Evil drug.

kidding a bit but not really.

Hard pass.

(In all fairness I feel like bl will have a pretty strong bias towards proper dopaminergic stims. I know I certainly do.)

Hm, there's some speculation that viloxazine's ADHD-relieving effects arise from 5-HT2B antagonism and 5-HT2C agonism. In vivo trials showed that viloxazine increased intracellular [5-HT] in the prefrontal cortex of rats, and the PFC has some implications in the neuropathology of ADHD due to its role in top-down attention, I think.

Basically scientists: "Well we think it does this, via this action. And it appears to do have favorable results on 20% of patients. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

Medical science is ALWAYS a "best guess" type of science... but antidepressants are so notoriously bad and misunderstood.... you see so many of them because so many people are depressed. I truly believe depression is not something that can be fixed by a pill. (obviously some drugs immediately fix it temprarily, I'm referring to the pills a doctor will give you)

anti-depressants such a pseudo-science IMO

Basically scientists: "Well we think it does this, via this action. And it appears to do have favorable results on 20% of patients. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!

Medical science is ALWAYS a "best guess" type of science... but antidepressants are so notoriously bad and misunderstood.... you see so many of them because so many people are depressed. I truly believe depression is not something that can be fixed by a pill. (obviously some drugs immediately fix it temprarily, I'm referring to the pills a doctor will give you)

anti-depressants such a pseudo-science IMO

yeah i agree about antidepressants being CRAP FAKE SCIENCE CORRUPT BUSINESS , but personally i have seen and also experienced it myself, in very serious cases of being suicidal, they have saved some people. of course not like prozac zoloft or those other crappy ones you take for a week to work will do anything on the moment of severe suicidal crisis BUT i have actually experienced and see people at least benefit some more than without. like for example tianeptine. yes, its addictive. and also dangerious when mixed with other drugs. but it works instantly, and has saved people from suicide. so thats something to consider.
in your own opinion, whats alternative to antidepressants? healthy diet and excercise?? i have done that for ages with no benefit in my case. not sure how it works for others though. does it really work?? but please do share what do you suggest for someone like me who suffers from major depressive disorder and no meds can really help much anymore EXCEPT prevent suicide, i guess. thanks!

yeah i agree about antidepressants being CRAP FAKE SCIENCE CORRUPT BUSINESS , but personally i have seen and also experienced it myself, in very serious cases of being suicidal, they have saved some people. of course not like prozac zoloft or those other crappy ones you take for a week to work will do anything on the moment of severe suicidal crisis BUT i have actually experienced and see people at least benefit some more than without. like for example tianeptine. yes, its addictive. and also dangerious when mixed with other drugs. but it works instantly, and has saved people from suicide. so thats something to consider.
in your own opinion, whats alternative to antidepressants? healthy diet and excercise?? i have done that for ages with no benefit in my case. not sure how it works for others though. does it really work?? but please do share what do you suggest for someone like me who suffers from major depressive disorder and no meds can really help much anymore EXCEPT prevent suicide, i guess. thanks!
Have you considered ECT?

Everything about this drug pisses me off.

Not a stim. Not controlled. Tested and marketed for young children. Side effects resemble an anti depressant.

"Viloxazine was sold as an antidepressant in Europe for several decades, but was never approved by the FDA"

Sounds like ass. Feels like a dubious alternative to stims. Like they were forced to come up with an alternative and this is the best they could do. I'm speculating.

Evil drug.

If the drug relieved ADHD symptoms effectively and with a low side effect profile would it matter if it were not a stim? At least for the tiny proportion of people who take ADHD stims because they have ADHD?

Have you considered ECT?

no. im not sure if i read about it though. it could have been a while. can you please send me more information on this, thanks!
also if anything else comes to mind, please share, thanks!

oh and i wanted to ask about your opinion regarding ketamine as treatment for depression. what are your thoughts, besides the fact insurance doesnt cover it and it costs 12,000 on average for treatment!

If the drug relieved ADHD symptoms effectively and with a low side effect profile would it matter if it were not a stim? At least for the tiny proportion of people who take ADHD stims because they have ADHD?
I really can't say. I don't have adhd. Its kinda like the idea of prescribing anti depressants for anxiety. It just sounds dumb and in all of my experience does not work at all.

If it works, it works. I'm fairly opinionated

Way too expensive for 90% of people to afford for a while, barring specialized insurance guarantees.

Non-stimulants are a good idea, but they don't really show the efficacy of methylphenidate/amphetamine preparations, maybe 50% to 80%. I am also bias in this regard.

If it's also an AD, then good for that. To my knowledge, similar candidates, such as bupropion and possibly even des/venlafaxine (at high doses) can be used for ADHD, but haven't been officially indicated for it, and are otherwise antidepressants.

Some doctors legit prescribe ketamine so that it doesn't involve other clinical costs.

I mean, it's always a good thing if a med can serve multiple functions, usually. Always usually.

Don't know too much about ECT. Short-term memory damage kind of ruins it for me.

Don't know too much about ECT. Short-term memory damage kind of ruins it for me.
I don’t think ECT has ever been indicated for ADD/ADHD but it has proven beneficial for otherwise treatment resistent depression amd anxiety. Certainly was for me.

I am completamente satisfied with my Focalin (dexmethylphenidate). Furthermore, I avoid SSRIs, NRIs, & SNRIs. Flat affect. Suicidal ideation. Sometimes block MDMA or cocaine. Sexual side effects. Lack of efficacy. etc.

Last edited:
oh and i wanted to ask about your opinion regarding ketamine as treatment for depression. what are your thoughts, besides the fact insurance doesnt cover it and it costs 12,000 on average for treatment!

It's so insanely criminal that these places can charge so much for ketamine. Biggest profit margin ever. It's predatory practice that takes advantage of desperate people.

Ketamine treatment works for some people, the original method (pioneered by old school BLer Jamshyd as far as I know, way back in the day) was to dose very low, just above threshold effects, doses, and stay at that level for a couple of days. For some people, it seems to produce a neurological effect that alleviates depression for anywhere from a couple of weeks to months. It worked for him, and from what he said, nothing else ever did. But it doesn't work that way for everyone. And the ketamine clinics do all sorts of different methods, some give you a big dose so you experience a k-hole, some give you a steady IV infusion, it's all over the map.

wow not only do they charge you over the top, but they might also not be as good and know how to properly administer it damn. thats amazing!
maybe ill just go to europe or some other country like mexico and have it done for pennies in comparison and if they dont it right or its low quality so fucking what its better than paying SHITLOAD for the probability its also not good quality and not done right, am i right??

I mean, if it were me I'd just get some ketamine and do it myself. I'm quite sure that paying to do it at a clinic would at least get you pharma-grade ketamine, but the cost is insane.

Looks like trash.

Might be useful when i get off of phenibut for upregulating GABA-B 🤔

I mean, if it were me I'd just get some ketamine and do it myself. I'm quite sure that paying to do it at a clinic would at least get you pharma-grade ketamine, but the cost is insane.

do you know how to find and buy it myself?