• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neurontin pharmacology

GFunk02

Bluelighter
Gabapentin is a helpful chemical to me. It was prescribed for nerve pain in my lower back and has also helped with depression and anxiety. I have been taking it over 2 years and haven't noticed any tolerance developing, which is very unusual. But, I have noticed withdrawal; which is a feeling of fatigue, depression, and anxiety. I don't know how long withdrawal lasts; I've only experienced it for a few hours when I don't have access to it. Hopefully it is not a permanent condition.

My knowledge on pharmacology is mediocre; some of this I don't understand. I am wondering, based on the hypotheses below, if gabapentin seems like a safe thing to take long term. Maybe this can't be answered, but theories are more than welcome.

A summary of mechanistic hypotheses of gabapentin pharmacology.

Taylor CP, Gee NS, Su TZ, Kocsis JD, Welty DF, Brown JP, Dooley DJ, Boden P, Singh L.

Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Division of Warner-Lambert Co., Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA.

Although the cellular mechanisms of pharmacological actions of gabapentin (Neurontin) remain incompletely described, several hypotheses have been proposed. It is possible that different mechanisms account for anticonvulsant, antinociceptive, anxiolytic and neuroprotective activity in animal models. Gabapentin is an amino acid, with a mechanism that differs from those of other anticonvulsant drugs such as phenytoin, carbamazepine or valproate. Radiotracer studies with [14C]gabapentin suggest that gabapentin is rapidly accessible to brain cell cytosol. Several hypotheses of cellular mechanisms have been proposed to explain the pharmacology of gabapentin: 1. Gabapentin crosses several membrane barriers in the body via a specific amino acid transporter (system L) and competes with leucine, isoleucine, valine and phenylalanine for transport. 2. Gabapentin increases the concentration and probably the rate of synthesis of GABA in brain, which may enhance non-vesicular GABA release during seizures. 3. Gabapentin binds with high affinity to a novel binding site in brain tissues that is associated with an auxiliary subunit of voltage-sensitive Ca2+ channels. Recent electrophysiology results suggest that gabapentin may modulate certain types of Ca2+ current. 4. Gabapentin reduces the release of several monoamine neurotransmitters. 5. Electrophysiology suggests that gabapentin inhibits voltage-activated Na+ channels, but other results contradict these findings. 6. Gabapentin increases serotonin concentrations in human whole blood, which may be relevant to neurobehavioral actions. 7. Gabapentin prevents neuronal death in several models including those designed to mimic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). This may occur by inhibition of glutamate synthesis by branched-chain amino acid aminotransferase (BCAA-t).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=9551785&dopt=Abstract

So long as you don't find side effects too bad, I think gabapentin would be an okay long term drug...

^ just mild memory loss, loss of water, and dizziness are the only side effects for me, I think. I just don't want to someday quit gabapentin then have a major problem and never be back to normal.

Being that the methods of action for this drug are unknown, I would stray away from it for long term use. It may seem safe now, but until it is understood how this drug works their are no guarentees.

We don't know the mechanism of action of crap loads of drugs on the market... and even ones where we think we know everying, shit still goes wrong, e.g. rofecoxib

lyrica (pregabalin)

I use pregabalin (Lyrica) a drug based on Neurontin that was just approved in the UK and USA. It is incredible, very similar to XTC and GHB at higher doses. You guys will not be dissappointed ..

:)

I want to try Lyrica so bad. I am intrigued by what I read about it. I don't have a doctor right now so it's a problem.