• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Negative Effects of long term Propylene Glycol Comsumption

FlawedByDesign

Bluelighter
Looking for any other long term benzo users that have consumed a lot of P.G. For a little background: I spent 5 years on various Rc benzos, mostly etizolam, c-lam, f-lam and diclazepam. Last summer, during opiate w/d I experienced what feels like mini brain zaps that are constant and throbbing instead of sharp and jolting like a ?normal? brain zap. I attributed it to taking too much c-lam to combat the opiate w/d but I have recently relapsed and have been experiencing similar effects with e-lam and diclaze in much smaller doses. This tells me these brain zaps must be caused by the P.G. I mean I know just because it?s food grade doesn?t mean it?s good for you but would say 5ml a day for half a decade have any known accumulative effects? The light throbbing behind my eyes is somewhat worrisome.

When used in a vape/ecig, I would imagine the doses are much smaller, but is it still very unhealthy to vape it as compared to IV PG? I'm concerned about the health consequences of PG as well, as I am trying to quit cigarettes and use the vape instead.

OK, I have no input here, but I am curious about PG and this post.
How would someone be exposed to it every day for 5 years, except in a vape, and what is its relationship to benzos?

^Benzos are soluble in PG and makes them easy to keep as solutions for IV or whatever ROA you use.

PG - PROPYLENE GLYCOL is very safe for humans. Ever been to a concert where a smoke machine is used and been close enough to get a bunch of it? That's PG vapor.

It is very common in foods, pharmaceuticals, etc...

To the ? above, it is used as a safe solvent for the ingestion of substances that are acquired as powders with high potency, in the mg to ug range for doses. It facilitates what is referred to as volumetric dosing.

Not going to go further. A search would be very revealing. No need for me to go into it's exact uses here.

Please see the link below and read all of the page!

Ethylene glycol is very toxic, that's the common compound in automobile coolant, it has a very sweet taste. Many a home mechanic has facilitated the poisoning of animals, esp., canines, and children by being reckless with handling the liquid - draining it into a bowl left sitting out for a dog to drink, etc...

Ingestion of ETHYLENE GLYCOL is a medical emergency. Treatment must be very rapid before kidney failure begins, and is difficult to reverse or halt.

I'm told it's a very nasty way to go. So please never leave EG (anti-freeze) however dilute in an unmarked container. Treat it like you would motor oil that's flavored like candy.

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1120&tid=240

^Benzos are soluble in PG and makes them easy to keep as solutions for IV or whatever ROA you use.

OK, thank you.
I used to break my Valium down in EtOH to shoot them, but that shit is hard on the veins.
Probably a good thing I never knew about PG.

Who brought up IV?? I was just asking if I should be worried that I’ve drank a couple gallons of it over the last 6 years now that I’m experiencing side effects that are almost definitely stemming from PG consumption. I wish I could explain it better, it’s like a long, drawn out, less painful brain zap that occurs anytime I dose. Although, like another user said the stuff is in almost everything. Hoping to be off the benzos in about a month anyways.

I brought up the IV because one of the blrs didn't know what Pgs relationship to benzos was.

You're saying you are getting brain zaps from dosing something suspended in PG and you think it might be from the accumulated consumption of PG over a long period of time.

Maybe. Maybe not. Some people have reported brain zaps on benzos but usually they occur while tapering or stopping. I know you said you just relapsed but it could be the benzos and not the PG?

I’d imagine this was more related to the gabaergic substance use as opposed to PG. I mean, who knows, but it’s certainly a common issue with long term benzo use/withdrawal.

We can only speculate, but I’m hard pressed to think this is PG causing this. Still, if you’re concerned, make an appointment with your neurologist (lol or find one, sorry, it would be a little odd for me to assume people just have neurologists laying around :)).

That would make sense as the ridiculously potent ones were the worst about causing it. At the time I chalked it up to dosing so frequently during opiate w/d but now that I’m using weaker benzos less frequently and experiencing it to a lesser degree it seems likely the that it’s drugs, not the solvent causing issues(go figure). Thanks for the reply well thought out reply TPD. I went to the DR once over RC benzos and they treat me like a criminal. Where I live the only way to get help with a benzo problem is when your lactic acid levels are through the roof after having a 5 minute grand mal seizure8)

I don't understand, take P.G.? Do you refer to smoke electronic cigarettes? I don't understand what do you mean with take P.G.

I don't understand, take P.G.? Do you refer to smoke electronic cigarettes? I don't understand what do you mean with take P.G.

It is common practice for people to dissolve potent chemicals, like research chemical benzodiazepines, in PG for volumetric dosing. The PG/benzo mix can then be measured out and consumed orally.

This is generally considered to be the safest way to consume benzos since they are so potent that individual doses cannot accurately be measured on a mg scale. PG is used because it is something most benzos are soluble in (most are not very soluble in water).

That would make sense as the ridiculously potent ones were the worst about causing it. At the time I chalked it up to dosing so frequently during opiate w/d but now that I’m using weaker benzos less frequently and experiencing it to a lesser degree it seems likely the that it’s drugs, not the solvent causing issues(go figure). Thanks for the reply well thought out reply TPD. I went to the DR once over RC benzos and they treat me like a criminal. Where I live the only way to get help with a benzo problem is when your lactic acid levels are through the roof after having a 5 minute grand mal seizure8)

That’s incredible... I mean part of me is not at all surprised you were given substandard care, but... it’s like I’ve become conditioned to take that kind of thing as normal 8)

Have you done research into issues with long term benzo use? Some of the side effects (not for everyone, but it seems pretty common) seem pretty crazy. Like the opposite or what gets people to start needing benzos to begin with.

You mentioned you took RC benzos for like five years, is this the total amount of time you’ve been taking benzos? What would you say your average dose was (if you could quantify an estimation in terms of diazepam)?

It’s been a while since I really used it, but back in the day this was a really helpful site: https://www.benzo.org.uk/FAQ1.1.htm it also seems like Wikipedia has some good info on benzo use

Last edited by a moderator:
I abused Xanax all through out high school but didn’t become dependent until I got into RCs. When abusing MXE/stimulants I was taking like 10mg of clonazoLAM or 30mgs of Etizolam a day just to balance out the speediness/help me pass out after “M-holing”. I made a thread a couple years back about using the Ashton manual to switch from etizolam to diclazepam and here we are again lol. Life is so cyclical. “All of this has happened before and will happen again”-BSG