• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need help with young people and subs????

Iceman1216

Bluelighter
Hi guys, I am working with a young man ( 18 ) and he is taking 16 mgs of subs already ? Is there any known problems with being young and taking subs?
he really thinks that they are his get out of jail free card?

I do understand that much better than Dirty 30s

I guess I am a Temp Sponsor ?
I am a lot older than his parents
His dad has been on subs a long time 6-7 years
So he is like my dads does it WTF can be wrong with it?
I live in a very small but upscale ( wealthy) town
So many young kids of Rich parents that are really in harms way 😡🙁

I do not really have a plan yet?
I have never been on any MAT ( unless my gabipentin scrips is one, to help with my Norco ( hydrocodone ) use 10-20 mgs per day??

he is such a baby , I just look at my path, how hard and fast it was ( got sober at 23)
He make me look like an Altar boy ) I was 🤣!

Get him to read through our sub where we have the ODs. Cannot remember the name of that particular sub abd I know this is sub conscious and dont care cause I got tears thinking about it ffs

Get him to read through our sub where we have the ODs. Cannot remember the name of that particular sub abd I know this is sub conscious and dont care cause I got tears thinking about it ffs
Man if ya straight up and he "likes" your company (you can tell), help by living by example as this will be more effective, ime.
People wanna be like other people they "like" is what Im gettin at here.

Man if ya straight up and he "likes" your company (you can tell), help by living by example as this will be more effective, ime.
People wanna be like other people they "like" is what Im gettin at here.

Dont sponsor just "be there"? Edit: If ya care to be.

Last edited:
We help them through the big book , and help direct sober actions !
Early sobriety is tough! Much harder for someone who is 3 YEARS TILL he is legal to drink 🙈🙈

I am a lot older than his parents
His dad has been on subs a long time 6-7 years
So he is like my dads does it WTF can be wrong with it?
I live in a very small but upscale ( wealthy) town
So many young kids of Rich parents that are really in harms way 😡🙁

I do not really have a plan yet?
I have never been on any MAT ( unless my gabipentin scrips is one, to help with my Norco ( hydrocodone ) use 10-20 mgs per day??

he is such a baby , I just look at my path, how hard and fast it was ( got sober at 23)
He make me look like an Altar boy ) I was 🤣!

I completely understand the situation.

this is a tough situation I think as due to his level of use, his age, his father not being a good role model, etc

I think you should just be there for him, keep the door open if he wants advice on how to get sober because based on what you've said it sounds like he isn't even remotely close to the mental attitude it's going to take for him to quit

I didn't want to be sober at his age, I didn't give a fuck, and I'm speculating he doesn't either

Sponsorship , is the basis for all 12 step programs
Sober people who have done the work, and pass it on and help with the transition for active to Clean living!
We ask sponsees to call everyday and tell us how they are doing
Answer questions if we can or help get answers or direction for them.
Like a big Brother/Sister program for addicts

@Snafu of the Forest , thanks very good advice !
It’s just so hard now a days to watch this slow motion train wreck of someone’s life!!
The old expression is “ he is young and has his whole life in front of him!”

but I know longer believe that !! I have been to Way to many funerals of my peers children’s funerals 😩😩

the drug world has Never been so dangerous !!

I will stay available, and be a power of example,

just hard, I have a 24 yr old son , who just moved to NYC 🤯🤷🏻‍♂️

I have been raised in 12 steps to never say No
Always be available to the struggling addict 🤙🏻

I told him I will be temp , he has tried a couple of men, and no go!
They want him to be more committed ??🙈

he is 18 already been through the mill a few times
Left Rehab early
Has a girlfriend who uses ( tells me she is hot … so worth it)

we have very differant outlooks and experience on 12 steps ( I am glad that there is not one shoe to fit all
People with Addiction problems!!

I just have seen so many more people create full happy , productive lives with the 12 steps!

it a road map that I use in All my lives adventures ❤️
been sober for 12 years now
22 before cancer ( and ducking opiates )
3 before that ) butbstill
Smokes weed in my early 20s , did not drink , life got much better,🤙🏻

Don’t take this sponsorship too seriously man. Just try to be available to the kid!
this

if he truly wants to quit he will be the one reaching out to you, not the other way around

also, I don't really have anything bad to say about the 12 steps even though I do not fully agree with the steps. It works for some people. Ultimately everyone finds their own unique path to sobriety, 12 steps works for some but definitely not the only way or some standard.

I can only agree to disagree with you!
Most Cults that I have seen have done Harm not good for people. I totally agree that there are as many path to Sober/clean living ( if it is something a person wants "It takes A lot of work for me to not have selfish,self centered attitudes"
I be long to Many Cults:

Church
Boy Scouts
Political party
Etc.
as long as I feel the benefits from something I have no problem with the title other people give them?
I have benefited from them All
' Take what you want and Need, Leave the rest till you may need it or not'

Be well Brother.

BTW way years ago I thought and Hoped that many people would get clean sober in my family?? Only one other than myself.
We have lost 5-6 to the disease of addiction and a few more tryin Really hard to join them!!

It’s AA or no way with those assholes.
I have to agree with wizard. There is no flexibility in AA. It's by the book or nothing. It really is run like a cult in a lot of ways but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also respect AA for that very reason in some ways. It creates strong bonds and a sense of community which are absolutely good things in recovery.

I would always recommend addicts go to 12 step - but I would also tell them that it's not the only way or only resource. I think 12 step is a good "first step" in recovery for a lot of people, get their foot in the door, but nobody in the world got sober purely from 12 steps - there are a lot of other personal stuff that needs to be done that the 12 steps can't do

I look at AA the same way I look at anti-depressants. Low efficacy, kinda bullshit, not the only option they lead you to believe.... but no matter what I think about them they are proven to at least help for 10-20% of people. I also really respect the AA community, extremely supportive group and stand up guys.

I have never met my nieces and nephews because my brother requires me to be completely sober (NO CHEMICAL) for three years in AA. That sucks! People take AA way too seriously, and act and do things that cult members do. I’m a big harm reduction/ recovery help person (as you know)! I was forced to go to Alanon/Alateen growing up. AA is a fucking cult!
that's horrible man... :(

that's the sort of toxic AA dogma that I hate

but there's also a part of me that begrudgingly respects how seriously they take it, how seriously they take sobriety

mixed feelings

I have never met my nieces and nephews because my brother requires me to be completely sober (NO CHEMICAL) for three years in AA. That sucks! People take AA way too seriously, and act and do things that cult members do. I’m a big harm reduction/ recovery help person (as you know)! I was forced to go to Alanon/Alateen growing up. AA is a fucking cult!
That really sucks man, I am pretty much my nieces father at this point, no brother and his wife are always out running around getting high doing stupid shit and getting arrested. My niece is the reason I stopped using H can’t imagine her not being in my life at this point