• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Need help with benzo treatment / GABA kindling

madskills42001

Greenlighter
Long story short:

In 2013 I discovered I was kindled to alcohol and quit.

In 2016 I was using a supplement that was helping an ulcer and found out it produces so much GABA they use it to culture it in labs. Kindled again.

Symptoms persisted until today, but lorazepam was helping on an as needed basis, couple dozen times a year.

Then stupid me, got afraid of benzo withdrawal stories and had the neurologist switch me to Diazepam bc of longer half life.

Guess what, diazepam IMMEDIATELY began causing kindling symptoms. I think it’s bc it’s so lipophillic: it hits the brain instantly and is gone in minutes because it distributes into other tissues much faster than other benzos.

The question is:

I am now deathly afraid to try the lorazepam again, but I need it for the sleep movement symptoms.

Would the lorazepam hurt me?

The author of many papers on Alcohol kindling told me to avoid substances that “spike GABA,” and it seems that binge drinking precipitated kindling more quickly for this reason. In other words: fast uptake, fast metabolism of a GABAergic drug = bad for kindling.

Well, there are many studies showing that lorazepam is different and “slower” than other benzos: it has the second highest binding affinity of any benzo I’ve found so it attaches to the individual receptor longer (9-10 times longer binding than diazepam according to studies), apes trained on it for not generalize its effects to benzos, it binds more strongly than almost any other benzo, it is less lipophillic do it stays in the brain, it shows region speciality for the cerebellum unlike other receptors, suggesting there my be special lorazepam receptors; it produces unique visual abs more intense amnesia effects, and there are papers showing its effects linger even at low receptor occupancy. There are papers asserting lorazepam my work on “slow” receptors.

Last edited: