• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Need help with back pain advice and meds..

razordesignz

Bluelighter
3 discs out one is really in my nerve and spinal stenosis I currently get 10mg oxycodone x3 a day and 350 soma x2 a day but my back still hurtss...idk what to so I try looking at comparison charts but they are just jumbled. I need someone wise with advice on what would be better.....I don't fully know what's available in the market I know of oxymorphone but it has such a low bio availability so idk..PLEASEEEE helpl

A friend with a similar issue switched to kratom with better success that pharmaceutical opioids

The problem with equivalency charts is half-life and ROA.

oxymorphone or hydromorphone are stronger than oxycodone, but with oxym you'll have absorption issues if you don't IV/snort/smoke, and with hydrom you'll have half-life issues and independently, absorption issues with oral ROA

With methadone you'd get a more even pain relief, might be an option. Same with OxyContin or MS Contin. There's an XR version of hydrom but I have no personal experience.

A friend with a similar issue switched to kratom with better success that pharmaceutical opioids

yeah this is good advice i recommend alternating with kratom and poppy pod or poppy seed tea and replace the soma with kava, make sure you get solomon islands kava. not all kava works for pain, some kinds just get you high but solomon kava is a wonderful painkiller and muscle relaxant.

another plant with good pain relief is akuama seeds. all the pharmaceutical junk will build tolerance and become ineffective with time, but if you alternate with natural herbs you can obtain continued pain relief. you can keep the pharms around for breakthrough pain also, if you just have a kratom tolerance then popping a few oxys will feel good. the key is to keep your tolerance low.

- Kratom
- Medical Cannabis
- Morphine might be another option

If you plan on taking it long term methadone isn't the best idea, because even though it's great for pain it comes with a risk of prolongation of the Q/T intervall

So I had a muscle spasm and a herniated disc in my spine. The medications you are using are only giving you "fake" pain relief. Your gonna have to get rid of that pain for good if you want the pain to go away. As your body grows and adjust, it will adapt to the problems your having. But that could possibly take years. What you need to do, and I dont know if you are already doing this, but I recommend visiting a chiropractor. When your back is in pain like that, it limits your movement, which causes your muscles to tighten up making it even more painful. A chiropractor can stretch you out, massage you, and take care of you. If you tell them your symptoms, then they will know what is best for you. They are just as qualified to recommend a specific treatment as a doctor is, they got there medical degree. But hey, maybe Im wrong. (I'm 15 btw, and this information is from personal experience, it helped me. I used to be a 3 sport athlete until I messed my back from getting tackled the wrong way in football. I was out for a year. My pain wasn't getting any better and I looked into some treatments I could do. So I visited my nearest chiropractor, and in 3 weeks time, I was back to play football. No pain, no nothing.)
Hope this helps

If you plan on taking it long term methadone isn't the best idea, because even though it's great for pain it comes with a risk of prolongation of the Q/T intervall

Sorry for going off topic, and please edit / delete this as you see fit with regards to such, but although I know that this is a risk of long term methadone use and should be avoided if possible, is the risk of developing this reasonably high, as I would have thought that with the gallons of Physeptone and other methadone preps that go down the glug holes of MMT patients the risk, while real, present and statistically significant, must still be fairly low as substitution opioids for dependence are supposed to bring about a net reduction in harm, and as such surely cardiac damage from these treatments are more the exception as to the rule.

I know LAAM was withdrawn from the market for causing similar problems so I would assume that the risk / reward ratio was significantly lower with regards to methadone, as, to my knowledge, while I know my heroin use has done my health no favours whatsoever, there is no intrinsic risk of organ damage from morphine / diamorphine that is produced to pharmaceutical standards, so the use of a potentially cardiotoxic drug as a 'safer' substitute sounds barmy when we all know that the same therapeutic effect could be achieved with the persons actual drug of choice, which when used under close and careful supervision will both satisfy a dependants need for such with no significant chronic health risks.

Sorry for the de-rail - to get back on track I think Experimentalists post is excellent, as while the use of these drugs are fantastic for symptomatic relief they do not provide a long term solution, which anyone facing extended periods of chronic pain needs to look into at the first reasonable opportunity once the immediate situation becomes manageable.

Sorry for going off topic, and please edit / delete this as you see fit with regards to such, but although I know that this is a risk of long term methadone use and should be avoided if possible, is the risk of developing this reasonably high, as I would have thought that with the gallons of Physeptone and other methadone preps that go down the glug holes of MMT patients the risk, while real, present and statistically significant, must still be fairly low as substitution opioids for dependence are supposed to bring about a net reduction in harm, and as such surely cardiac damage from these treatments are more the exception as to the rule.

I know LAAM was withdrawn from the market for causing similar problems so I would assume that the risk / reward ratio was significantly lower with regards to methadone, as, to my knowledge, while I know my heroin use has done my health no favours whatsoever, there is no intrinsic risk of organ damage from morphine / diamorphine that is produced to pharmaceutical standards, so the use of a potentially cardiotoxic drug as a 'safer' substitute sounds barmy when we all know that the same therapeutic effect could be achieved with the persons actual drug of choice, which when used under close and careful supervision will both satisfy a dependants need for such with no significant chronic health risks.

That's a great question
I found this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386945
CONCLUSION:
Q-T interval prolongation and TdP associated with the use of methadone are potentially fatal adverse effects. A thorough patient history and ECG monitoring are essential for patients treated with this agent, and alterations in treatment options may be necessary.

http://atforum.com/2013/07/no-evide...hadone-maintenance-treatment-cochrane-review/
QTc prolongation is “not a safety concern per se,” but a “sharply imperfect” surrogate marker for the risk of TdP. A QTc longer than 500 milliseconds—considered the threshold of increased danger—is found in about 2 percent to 16 percent of MMT patients. But the prolongation isn’t necessarily due to methadone; liver disease, low potassium levels, and therapy with a variety of drugs also prolong QTc in MMT patients.
Estimated mortality for TdP is about 10 percent to 17 percent. But the “supposed involvement of methadone in TdP-related mortality” is thought to be only 6 deaths per 10,000 patient-years. Studies typically do not rule out other known risk factors, such as heart disease and various medications, so the true figure is probably lower. In contrast, mortality of untreated heroin dependence is estimated to be far higher: 100 to 300 per 10,000 person-years. Methadone maintenance, with an annual mortality rate of 0.1 percent, reduces by 2 to 11 times the mortality risk of people with opioid dependence.

And
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644474/
In summary, the capability of methadone to prolong the QTc at doses within the therapeutic range is well established in multiple studies, and the prevalence may range between 16% and 33%; however, it is not yet clear what dose of methadone causes clinically significant QTc prolongation or TdP.

So I had a muscle spasm and a herniated disc in my spine. The medications you are using are only giving you "fake" pain relief. Your gonna have to get rid of that pain for good if you want the pain to go away. As your body grows and adjust, it will adapt to the problems your having. But that could possibly take years. What you need to do, and I dont know if you are already doing this, but I recommend visiting a chiropractor. When your back is in pain like that, it limits your movement, which causes your muscles to tighten up making it even more painful. A chiropractor can stretch you out, massage you, and take care of you. If you tell them your symptoms, then they will know what is best for you. They are just as qualified to recommend a specific treatment as a doctor is, they got there medical degree. But hey, maybe Im wrong. (I'm 15 btw, and this information is from personal experience, it helped me. I used to be a 3 sport athlete until I messed my back from getting tackled the wrong way in football. I was out for a year. My pain wasn't getting any better and I looked into some treatments I could do. So I visited my nearest chiropractor, and in 3 weeks time, I was back to play football. No pain, no nothing.)
Hope this helps

While I agree with the general sentiment behind this post, chiropractors are NOT doctors and chiropractic is widely considered to be a junk science one step removed from the likes of homeopathy. Stick with regular physiotherapist or sports medicine practitioners.

And it keeps coming..... I'd better stop posting now as I have about 7 papers to get through and Im only just finishing off the one on Opioid Tolerance. I'll have square eyes come morning - so I think I'm going to be naughty and c&p the rest to word so I can get them printed off in the office in the morning - I much prefer to read print rather than from any sort of VDU (kindle type widgets included)

I really appreciate all of this kleinerkiffer - you have more than covered all the queries I have raised this morning. Whether I ultimately make sense of all the information is my own problem - that it's there in front of me means I have the keys to the kingdom - if I cannot open the lock it will be down to my butterfingers and nothing else.

Cheers =D <3