• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Need help with ADHD meds!

Psychedalienation

Bluelighter
So basically I have major ADHD. I am extremely impulsive, my mind is always racing causing insomnia, I have tics that I HAVE to do constantly, and it's fucking annoying. I'm 17 1/2 years old.

I was prescribed methylphenidate (10mg IR and Concerta 18mg ER) a few years back. Long story short it helped but I ended up abusing it by insufflating it. I was caught by my parents and the prescription was cancelled. A few years later, I was represcribed it and used it orally as needed and it helped A GREAT DEAL. I was able to clearly focus, get my shit done, and it was overall great for me.

My parents got sketched out or we got in a fight or something happened, I don't remember, but long story short they cut it.

I then got addicted to alcohol and long story short again I am currently in an adolescent outpatient rehabilitation program through Kaiser Permanente. Now I need ADHD meds. My psych seems spooked to give me stimulants. She prescribed me Welbutrin (didn't work), Strattera (didn't work and had a negative impact on me so taking of it was ceased), and now she has prescribed me guanfacine. All of these are norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors and don't work on the dopamine or serotonin receptors at all, which is starting to look like what I need.

My psych said she can only prescribe me Welbutrin if guanfacine doesn't work, indicating that she either does not want to prescribe me stims because she is scared of me getting addicted to them, or she is legally binded not to because of my enrollment in the rehab program that is under her company's jurisdiction.

My question for you guys is if guanfacine does not help me in the way I need it to, what should I do? I would like to give Vyvanse, Adderall, MPH, Focalin, etc. a try because of MPH's success with me in the past. If she is unwilling to prescribe MPH, I'm willing to try others as they have PROVEN SUCCESS with my condition. I am almost 18 years old. Should I talk with her and find out the deal? I don't want to sound like im feining for stims and set off red flags because if I set up a meeting with her and specifically bring up stims while she KNOWS that I'm in rehab, she's just gonna be like no. If I turn 18 can I get a different psych through another company?

I am reading very, very bad things about guanfacine and I am scared to try it.

I'm very scared that if guanfacine doesn't work, I'm fucked and I'll have to deal with ADHD forever without any help. I am making natural improvements in my life daily and it isn't changing anything. I need advice, please help.

Last edited:
Guanfacine works but it's a downer...like, 4mg XR makes me nod...I sware, I fell off my chair at work and hit my head, as I was typing out a letter on my computer. For me it's worst then Heroin. I just go out paf!

Guanfacine is effective for many as well. It does have risks (what drug doesnt?) but proper titration, dosage form (XR), and monitoring can avoid many of them.

Of all the stimulants, I think Vyvanse is the one to consider. Its effective, consistent, and harder to abuse due to its unique properties.

I am prescribed Gaunfacine and Adderall. I was on Vyvanse, but the cost out of pocket was too high. I very much preferred the Vyvanse. Anyway, I agree with Kittycat5 above that Vyvanse would be a good option. It's a prodrug which means it needs to be metabolized before it becomes active. Insulfation or IV will do no good (although insulfation will eventually end up in the stomach, but it's a waste) it was developed to help prevent abuse. Good luck.

ritalin gives me more anxiety, gets me overstimulated. if you can get your parents to agree with what you say to your doctor then that helps a lot. say adderall or vyvanse worked for you in the past. if you are making shitty grades and just realized you need to do better, take it slow. alcohol isn't that bad like in moderate use for stress, be careful if you ever discover xanax.