• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids NEED HELP QUITTING OPIOIDS <3

NYC2361197

Bluelighter
Hi all. I just registered here and wanted to make a post to ask for some advice. I am a 23 y/o who just graduated and over the course of a year have become accustomed to taking prescription opioids (anywhere from 10-20-30 mg). Over the last six months I have been taking them every day (I have been getting an endless supply for free from my boyfriend). It has escalated to me snorting pressed Percocet pills which I am sure have some quantity of fentanyl in them. I have been taking about four "30 mg" pills a day. I really need to kick this habit. I have terrible anxiety and have been using them to self medicate. I am terrified of withdrawals and the inevitable anxiety relapse it will bring. A friend told me I should taper off with a 6-week minimum plan so I wrote one out where I would be taking .25-.5 off every couple days so the withdrawal isn't so bad. I am thinking of taking xanax at night so I can sleep. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just rip the bandaid off and go somewhere where I wont be tempted and go cold turkey? My family doesn't know and I cant tell them. Im scared of this process.

Thanks. Much love. :cry:

Hi all. I just registered here and wanted to make a post to ask for some advice. I am a 23 y/o who just graduated and over the course of a year have become accustomed to taking prescription opioids (anywhere from 10-20-30 mg). Over the last six months I have been taking them every day (I have been getting an endless supply for free from my boyfriend). It has escalated to me snorting pressed Percocet pills which I am sure have some quantity of fentanyl in them. I have been taking about four "30 mg" pills a day. I really need to kick this habit. I have terrible anxiety and have been using them to self medicate. I am terrified of withdrawals and the inevitable anxiety relapse it will bring. A friend told me I should taper off with a 6-week minimum plan so I wrote one out where I would be taking .25-.5 off every couple days so the withdrawal isn't so bad. I am thinking of taking xanax at night so I can sleep. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just rip the bandaid off and go somewhere where I wont be tempted and go cold turkey? My family doesn't know and I cant tell them. Im scared of this process.

Thanks. Much love. :cry:

Your boyfriend kind of sounds like a jerk for supplying you with pressed percocets (which likely only contain some fentanyl derivative and zero oxycodone -- a drug that is hundreds of times the price of fentanyl derivatives). But I don't know the situation so I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

As far as the taper plan, what your friend recommended sounds like a decent plan. My guess is that a 30mg pressed "percocet" contains around .5mg of fentanyl equivalent, so 4 pills would be around 2mg, which is about 200mg morphine/day (sizes of addictions are most easy to evaluate when its converted to MME's - morphine milligram equivalents). At 200mg MME I'd advise against quiting cold turkey.

Be very, very careful how you use the xanax. Never use it on a daily basis. An opioid addiction is a walk in the park when compared to a xanax addiction. Fentanyl withdrawal is harsh but pretty short lasting. If you are able to taper down, jumping off shouldnt be that bad. If you really want to be precise you could crush up your pills into a powder and buy a $20 milligram scale on amazon. That way you can precisely taper off. The problem with cutting pressed pills into fractions of a pill is that the pressed pills tend to have hotspots where more of the drug could be on a certain part of the pill, so the dosing could be uneven.

The biggest problem is going to be your constant unlimited access through your boyfriend. You either need to ditch him or have him on board in the process otherwise its going to be pretty difficult.

Your boyfriend kind of sounds like a jerk for supplying you with pressed percocets (which likely only contain some fentanyl derivative and zero oxycodone -- a drug that is hundreds of times the price of fentanyl derivatives). But I don't know the situation so I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

As far as the taper plan, what your friend recommended sounds like a decent plan. My guess is that a 30mg pressed "percocet" contains around .5mg of fentanyl equivalent, so 4 pills would be around 2mg, which is about 200mg morphine/day (sizes of addictions are most easy to evaluate when its converted to MME's - morphine milligram equivalents). At 200mg MME I'd advise against quiting cold turkey.

Be very, very careful how you use the xanax. Never use it on a daily basis. An opioid addiction is a walk in the park when compared to a xanax addiction. Fentanyl withdrawal is harsh but pretty short lasting. If you are able to taper down, jumping off shouldnt be that bad. If you really want to be precise you could crush up your pills into a powder and buy a $20 milligram scale on amazon. That way you can precisely taper off. The problem with cutting pressed pills into fractions of a pill is that the pressed pills tend to have hotspots where more of the drug could be on a certain part of the pill, so the dosing could be uneven.

The biggest problem is going to be your constant unlimited access through your boyfriend. You either need to ditch him or have him on board in the process otherwise its going to be pretty difficult.

I can't put into words how hard it is to escape an addiction with someone not only as your supplier, but also a never-ending trigger. I second this... it's none of my business but he doesn't seem like someone who means well entirely. Again, it's really none of my business but plenty have manipulated partners and friends through addiction (it's a great method to maintain control over someone close to you).

It's good that you're making attempts to break free earlier on in the addiction--just know that it takes a lot of trial and error. Almost no one quits opiates on the first go around. Relapse is part of the process in a way. If you absolutely can't break free, suboxone is a good way to do it and sub doctors are ubiquitous and easily covered by insurance. The longer you dabble in opiates, the more never-ending the depression from cessation seems to be. Crippling depression is inevitable when it comes to fent use. I shutter at how depressed I was after cold-turkeying fent. It makes oxy withdrawal seem like a joke. Good luck!

I can't put into words how hard it is to escape an addiction with someone not only as your supplier, but also a never-ending trigger. I second this... it's none of my business but he doesn't seem like someone who means well entirely. Again, it's really none of my business but plenty have manipulated partners and friends through addiction (it's a great method to maintain control over someone close to you).

It's good that you're making attempts to break free earlier on in the addiction--just know that it takes a lot of trial and error. Almost no one quits opiates on the first go around. Relapse is part of the process in a way. If you absolutely can't break free, suboxone is a good way to do it and sub doctors are ubiquitous and easily covered by insurance. The longer you dabble in opiates, the more never-ending the depression from cessation seems to be. Crippling depression is inevitable when it comes to fent use. I shutter at how depressed I was after cold-turkeying fent. It makes oxy withdrawal seem like a joke. Good luck!

I understand your concern but it isn't totally fair to blame him for rea$ons I cant really explain on here. If anything, it was my pressuring him to give me things he didn't want to give me that got us both into a shitty situation. He actually desperately wants me to get off them but I asked him not to completely eliminate my access because I want to "taper" off. Obviously we are both enabling each other right now but I cant honestly call myself a victim, trust. Thank you for your smart advice and for your kind words, I believe I can do it!!

Thank you for your response!! I understand your concern but it isn't totally fair to blame him for rea$ons I cant really explain on here. If anything, it was my pressuring him to give me things he didn't want to give me that got us both into a shitty situation. He actually desperately wants me to get off them but I asked him not to completely eliminate my access because I want to "taper" off. Just wanted you to know that I'm not the victim here, but I appreciate where you're coming from. He is on board!! Thank you for your other smart advice. I actually hate the way xanax makes me feel and really only thought about using it because I'm afraid of not being able to sleep. I feel slightly more optimistic about the whole process though, and I am going to give it a go. Thank you again!!

You can always hit a detox for a quick Sub tapper ! Just be on the look out for the Good old PAWS!,,

Well in that case I suppose he could help you taper down. I think the problem inevitably will be the cravings. You're going to be quite triggered by seeing him during the time period of tapering down and going through some sickness. You'd have to trust yourself not to give into your sickness and find ways of getting more than you think you need to successfully taper off.

I don't know you and it doesn't happen to everyone probably, but when I'm sick from withdrawal there is this part of me that becomes incredibly manipulative in order to score some relief. If my boyfriend had oxycodone and I was dopesick I'd imagine I'd guilt trip him into saving me lol. It would also help to have a longer term plan going. Everyone is so concerned about the withdrawal and misery of it all but not what happens after that part. Nobody expects to relapse and yet almost everyone does. It's going to be hard to not ask him for it in the far future again in my opinion. It would be for me indefinitely.

You can always hit a detox for a quick Sub tapper ! Just be on the look out for the Good old PAWS!,,
BAD ADVICE. DON'T GO FOR SUBS.
Her doses are so low that buprenorphine would be an overkill. It also has worse withdrawals than what she would have quitting what she's doing now.
I think what is critical is amount of her self-control. Can she drop the doses and suffer the minor withdrawals, while she has endless supply next to her?
Does the boyfriend stick to the plan of giving her the taper doses and not more?
Is he ready to quit too?
It can be pretty hard to quit if somebody is doping next to you and making no effort.
However, quitting together can be a powering thing. If both are well adjusted into it, they can support each other.
OP and her boyfriend need to have a talk about the subject.
Don't keep too much drugs around, since it can be tempting to do "once" a bigger dose once the tolerance has dropped a bit from tapering.
There is a possibility the OP needs to cut ties completely with his boyfriend if she wants to stay clean and have a nice life.
Good luck OP!

Hi all. I just registered here and wanted to make a post to ask for some advice. I am a 23 y/o who just graduated and over the course of a year have become accustomed to taking prescription opioids (anywhere from 10-20-30 mg). Over the last six months I have been taking...

Hello! Personally I would quit cold turkey and go home to your family. Right now is the perfect time since COVID. Your excuse to your family should be that you feel sick and worry about COVID.

Also, opioid withdrawals are not that bad when compared to Benzo withdrawals; meaning you can easily do this by yourself if you wanted to.

If you do attempt to quit cold turkey here is my advice:
- Drink lots and lots of water, also one Pedialyte a day will help give your brain the materials it needs to reconstruct it self.
- When the withdrawals symptoms get bad remember deep breathing, 7 seconds in and 7 seconds out.
- Take it one day at a time!

Last edited:
Hey girl get away from that dude!!!! I went thru a similiar situation. Good guys dont get there loved ones hooked!!! BEcareful girl!!!!! Taper down. You shld be ok. I would not suggest benzos bc you cld end up in wd from those too. Start tapering down now before this gets any worse. You have a bright future ahead of you.... Keep it that way!

It's my experience that percocet pills (5mg oxycodone + acetaminophen) are less likely to contain fentanyl in comparison to the higher dose oxycodone-only pills. Not saying that it's impossible to have fentanyl in them, just that I haven't seen it personally.

I have seen U-47700 in fake Percocets though!

DO NOT GET ON SUBS!!!!!!

Why do you say that? I agree that taking smaller doses of oxycodone is easier to taper with, but even a codeine addict can get on buprenorphine to help manage addiction.

It's my experience that percocet pills (5mg oxycodone + acetaminophen) are less likely to contain fentanyl in comparison to the higher dose oxycodone-only pills. Not saying that it's impossible to have fentanyl in them, just that I haven't seen it personally.

I was referring to these bad boys:

But I believe she was actually referring to these:

Any pressed opioid these is very likely some fentalog. (These days it makes no economic sense to put oxycodone in a pressed pill, and in the US I think a great deal of these pills come from the ruthless Mexican cartels.)

Thank you for your response!! I understand your concern but it isn't totally fair to blame him for rea$ons I cant really explain on here. If anything, it was my pressuring him to give me things he didn't want to give me that got us both into a shitty situation. He actually desperately wants me to get off them but I asked him not to completely eliminate my access because I want to "taper" off. Just wanted you to know that I'm not the victim here, but I appreciate where you're coming from. He is on board!! Thank you for your other smart advice. I actually hate the way xanax makes me feel and really only thought about using it because I'm afraid of not being able to sleep. I feel slightly more optimistic about the whole process though, and I am going to give it a go. Thank you again!!

Another idea is if you taper down a bit you might consider switching to a "red-veined" kratom, and then taper off of that. Kratom will cover most of your withdrawal symptoms, and is much easier to taper off of. Once you've made the switch from fentanyl to kratom, kratom is relatively easy to cold turkey, even at pretty high doses. A good starting dose might be 3-4g every 5-6 hours. Then taper down a bit and jump off. For around 5 days you'll have joint pain, be yawning alot and have a running nose, have difficulty sleeping etc. Not nearly as bad as fentanyl withdrawal.

Probably wouldn't recommend suboxone unless you continue to fail tapering or if kratom doesn't work. The problem with going on suboxone (unless its a short 6 week taper, etc) is that you've now become a full-fledged long term opioid addict. If you can kick it by tapering or switching to kratom then tapering, and are able to stop and stay off forever, you'll probably be in the minority, but it is possible to have that level of success. Being addicted to opioids in the absence of chronic pain issues that require opioids (i was an opioid addict and wasn't taking them for pain) is a shitty way to live. While its still constant struggle and I still occasionally brush up against opioids, I don't consider myself an active opioid addict. Of course I'll probably never stop fooling around with them occasionally, and will always be at risk, but I am no longer a heavy user and hardcore addict.

When I said a Quick sub tapper I mean REALLY QUICK ! But I agree that if she can test her ”Pressed Pills” and do not show ant sign of Fent, tapering Perks quickly should be fine!
I just have a huge problem in NYC right now with Kids on the Fent/Press and it is ending badly

I think that cold turkey is the way to go when it comes to any opiate. I know it's not HR but it gets the whole ordeal over with sooner and when it comes to something like opiates--the longer you're on them the more their teeth sinks into you.

The problem is the fent that you're on in my opinion. Fent is a withdrawal so offensive it crushes your soul and makes you almost desperate to do anything for relief. OP when you're really ready to quit, you have to be in a mindset that's ready to handle some intense depression. That's really the biggest problem with quitting opiates in my opinion. The depression makes life unbearable so you bargain with whatever is in your vision to seek relief. My opinion on suboxone is that it helps relieve the physical withdrawal substantially, but you're still left very depressed. I suppose you can think of opiate withdrawal as a bad acid trip. Whenever the psychadelics leave you you're always like, "oh that's all that was." But while it's happening..

Another idea is if you taper down a bit you might consider switching to a "red-veined" kratom, and then taper off of that. Kratom will cover most of your withdrawal symptoms, and is much easier to taper off of. Once you've made the switch from fentanyl to kratom, kratom is relatively easy to cold turkey, even at pretty high doses. A good starting dose might be 3-4g every 5-6 hours. Then taper down a bit and jump off. For around 5 days you'll have joint pain, be yawning alot and have a running nose, have difficulty sleeping etc. Not nearly as bad as fentanyl withdrawal.

Probably wouldn't recommend suboxone unless you continue to fail tapering or if kratom doesn't work. The problem with going on suboxone (unless its a short 6 week taper, etc) is that you've now become a full-fledged long term opioid addict. If you can kick it by tapering or switching to kratom then tapering, and are able to stop and stay off forever, you'll probably be in the minority, but it is possible to have that level of success. Being addicted to opioids in the absence of chronic pain issues that require opioids (i was an opioid addict and wasn't taking them for pain) is a shitty way to live. While its still constant struggle and I still occasionally brush up against opioids, I don't consider myself an active opioid addict. Of course I'll probably never stop fooling around with them occasionally, and will always be at risk, but I am no longer a heavy user and hardcore addict.
Ok interesting. So do you mean to go straight from 4-ish 30mg percs a day to the 4g of kratom every 5 hours? Is it in capsules? So no tapering off the perc itself? I definitely don't want to become a "full-fledged long term opioid addict" :(. I really had no reason to get myself into this situation and I really fucked up. Congratulations on breaking free from the addiction <3

I've been in your position 3 times. Each time at about 140-200 mg/day for about a month with real oxy, only the last time I also mixed in some heroin as well. You are at a somewhat lower dose, but for a much longer consecutive period, and if it is indeed a fentanyl analogue it might be a completely different story.

The first time I went "cold turkey" with only 1 low dose suboxone the first day. At the end of the second day I felt quite tired, but didn't know or expect anything super heavy. I drank some alcohol (1 or 2 glasses, not that much, with no opiates) and completelly crashed. I suddenly got so tired and felt so bad that I had to stop walking my dog and struggled to get home. The next 4 days I could hardly walk and reach the toilet. I also never experienced any pain in my hip, but I felt some weird things during running the days prior, but I was on oxy then. Apparantly got some nerve pain due to running which was blocked. For 5/6 days I could not sleep longer than 1.5 hours, which really messed me up. Even any benzos like midazolam could not cut through that withdrawal. Obviously I called in sick for and could not function. After 4/5 days it was getting better, sleep slightly improved but it took 2 weeks to regain some natural energy.

Next time I was on a lower dose for 2/3 weeks (about 60 to a 100mg/day). I fast-tapered using methadone using some advice on this forum dosages were (18mg, 15mg, 12.5, 10, 7, 5, 2, stop). This was way more comfortable, I felt OK all day, could even work out during the taper, and after it was done my energy was low for 3 to 4 days but I could still function. I just felt lethargic, and I slowly felt better and better.

Next time I was on multiple weeks of oxy and heroin (200mg/day for 3 weeks). This time I tapered using suboxone for 3 weeks, starting at 5mg, 4mg, up to a couple of days 0.2mg, and then quit. Those first 3 weeks I felt ok, could work out, felt a little tired, expecially when dropping the dose below a certain point, but you gotta get through that. The hardest thing was the first day not taking that 0.2. Which was the difference of a normal day to a day feeling your soul was sucked out. After 2 days I decided to give Kratom a try (never took that before) And the moment I took Kratom I felt an Immediate uplift, I could work, had motivation and felt happy. I realized this was probably prolonging my withdrawal, but I used kratom at 10g per day for 5 days anyway to catch a break. Right now I am on the second day without kratom and I feel ok, music gives me happiness, but after half a day of work I am super tired and lethargic. I sometimes have to sleep 1 hr mid-day. Any upper doesn't do you any good, redbull even made me feel worse. I can sleep for about 6 hours, but the nights are not the best. Benzo's aren't really helping, I tried. What really helps is Clonidine for the night (and day as well).

For me cold-turkey is definitely the fastest and quickest recovery, but it's quite rough and horrible those first 5 days. everybody claims it's so hard psychological, but I find the physical part way worse. I can easily set my mind to not taking something, but especially no sleep and no natural energy are the hardest thing to deal with.

I tried tapering using oxycodone once too for a few days, but since the half-life is about 3.5-4hrs compared to 24/36 for methadone/suboxone, it is much harder to taper. You need to plan your doses carefully, and you will notice that you don't get high at first, and then a week in, you will feel slightly worse, tired, etc. At that moment you must stay strong and not up your dose again, but try to remain stable so that your body/brain adapts to that dose, and then continue to taper down. I found that much harder than methadone/suboxone. I even split my suboxone dose at morning and before bed to not wake up with withdrawal in this last time. With oxy, I would always wake up with stiffness and pain.

If you have any responsibilities, tapering is the only viable option, and you will spread it out over a longer period, but you can function and will feel OK. Having some kratom for emergencies is really nice. Clonidine will help you as well if you can find it (basically opiates upregulates your nervous system activity, to stay awake while taking depressant medications, once you quit, your nervous system will be firing constantly, and clonidine reduces that)

Sorry for the long reply, good luck!

Ok interesting. So do you mean to go straight from 4-ish 30mg percs a day to the 4g of kratom every 5 hours? Is it in capsules? So no tapering off the perc itself?

No I actually meant to taper off the pressed percs first (just FYI on a technical note, even real percocet does not come in 30mg pills, what your talking about would actually be called pressed "roxi's"; only roxicodone comes in 30mg).

I would taper down to at least 2 of those pressed pills (which would be like 1mg of fentanyl) if possible before switching. The kratom might not be strong enough to hold you coming off of 4 of those pills. I could be wrong and maybe the kratom would be enough now (though probably requiring 5-6g every 5 hours) but you'll have much better luck if you can taper down off the pills first.

And yeah, kratom comes in capsules but its more expensive that way. Red veined bali kratom is the best for opioid withdrawal in my opinion. Sometimes you can actually decent versions of it in a headshop (like the "whole herbs" brand red veined bali, which contain 600mg each capsule and are very effective -- though I don't know if its sold throughout the country), but other times headshop kratom capsules will advertise as being 500mg each but only contain like 400mg because they are including the weight of the capsule. Best is to buy online, but you'll have to look around for sources and source discussion is against the rules here unfortunately.

But in short I'd taper down to at least 2 of those pills before attempting switching to kratom. You might need to go down even further potentially. Kratom (in my opinion) is one of the shittiest opioids in terms of its effects (it's something i'd most never take for fun unless i was super bored), but it makes a huge difference. Doesn't stop all the symptoms but it makes the withdrawal very bearable. Essentially you're initially just trading a fentanyl addiction for a kratom addiction, but the big difference is that kratom withdrawal is the mildest withdrawal of any opioid. Once you're getting off of kratom I'd recommend switching to black seed oil capsules (which you can buy on amazon, i like thr healths harmony brand). Black seed oil is helpful for after getting off, and can help with cravings. If you have opioid cravings just pop a black seed oil and it helps (you can take it as needed, there is no rebound).

Good luck!

Once you're getting off of kratom I'd recommend switching to black seed oil capsules (which you can buy on amazon, i like thr healths harmony brand). Black seed oil is helpful for after getting off, and can help with cravings. If you have opioid cravings just pop a black seed oil and it helps (you can take it as needed, there is no rebound).

Never heard of this, immediately ordered a bottle which should get here by tomorrow morning. Curious if this does anything :D, thanks for the tip