• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

NEED HELP QUITTING OPIOIDS <3

NYC2361197

Bluelighter
Hi all. I just registered here and wanted to make a post to ask for some advice. I am a 23 y/o who just graduated and over the course of a year have become accustomed to taking prescription opioids (anywhere from 10-20-30 mg). Over the last six months I have been taking them every day (I have been getting an endless supply for free from my boyfriend). It has escalated to me taking pressed percocet pills which I am sure have some quantity of fentanyl in them. I have been taking about four "30 mg" pills a day. I really need to kick this habit. I have terrible anxiety and have been using them to self medicate. I am terrified of withdrawals and the inevitable anxiety relapse it will bring. A friend told me I should taper off with a 6-week minimum plan so I wrote one out where I would be taking .25-.5 off every couple days so the withdrawal isn't so bad. I am thinking of taking xanax at night so I can sleep. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just rip the bandaid off and go somewhere where I wont be tempted and go cold turkey? My family doesn't know and I cant tell them. Im scared of this process.

Thanks. Much love. :cry:

Thankfully your dose is on the lower end but you may get sick if you stopped
I just recently weaned off methadone. Try not to overthink it or that alone will make the symptoms worse
You can decrease 10% a week until down to 1/3 of your original dose then 5%

Hi all. I just registered here and wanted to make a post to ask for some advice. I am a 23 y/o who just graduated and over the course of a year have become accustomed to taking prescription opioids (anywhere from 10-20-30 mg). Over the last six months I have been taking them every day (I have been getting an endless supply for free from my boyfriend). It has escalated to me taking pressed percocet pills which I am sure have some quantity of fentanyl in them. I have been taking about four "30 mg" pills a day. I really need to kick this habit. I have terrible anxiety and have been using them to self medicate. I am terrified of withdrawals and the inevitable anxiety relapse it will bring. A friend told me I should taper off with a 6-week minimum plan so I wrote one out where I would be taking .25-.5 off every couple days so the withdrawal isn't so bad. I am thinking of taking xanax at night so I can sleep. Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just rip the bandaid off and go somewhere where I wont be tempted and go cold turkey? My family doesn't know and I cant tell them. Im scared of this process.

Have you talked to a doctor about the anxiety?

Your WD symptoms might not be as bad as you think.

After reading your post I don't think it's a good idea for you to start taking xanax, you could become extremely addicted to that and it'll be way harder to kick. If you think you have bad anxiety now you really don't want to know how bad it will be if you were to become dependent on benzos.
Benzos can be useful at very specific times, but taking them regularly is usually bad news for people who have an opioid habit.

After reading your post I don't think it's a good idea for you to start taking xanax, you could become extremely addicted to that and it'll be way harder to kick. If you think you have bad anxiety now you really don't want to know how bad it will be if you were to become dependent on benzos.
Benzos can be useful at very specific times, but taking them regularly is usually bad news for people who have an opioid habit.

Not always. I have taken a benzo for over 10 years and never abused them.
Some people have anxiety and nothing else works.
I just got off methadone so definitely like my opiates
I have heard stories of doctors giving antihistamines and antipsychotics for anxiety and that is ridiculous.

Thanks for your response! So far the symptoms might be mostly psychological. If I go about 7+ hours, I start to get sweaty and clammy and feel extremely restless. When I wake up in the morning I am anxious as hell and also have this bizarre soreness and pain in all of my joints that makes it almost hurt to walk. The reason I haven't already turned to xanax for the anxiety is because I actually really don't enjoy it. I have already dabbled with them recreationally and they just arent for me. When I discovered opiates I realized how much more I like them. I am really just concerned about not being able to sleep without the percocet.

Thankfully your dose is on the lower end but you may get sick if you stopped
I just recently weaned off methadone. Try not to overthink it or that alone will make the symptoms worse
You can decrease 10% a week until down to 1/3 of your original dose then 5%
Thanks! It is reassuring to know that you think my dose is on the lower end lol. So far the symptoms might be mostly psychological. If I go about 7+ hours, I start to get sweaty and clammy and feel extremely restless. When I wake up in the morning I am anxious as hell and also have this bizarre soreness and pain in all of my joints that makes it almost hurt to walk. Because of that initial discomfort, I have this fear about how much worse it would get. I wanted to see a therapist actually so I could confide in them and maybe get some assistance surrounding the drug use, but I worry that they will just want to send me to rehab/detox.

Also, I feel like I should add that I have been snorting them. I never pop them.

Don't take xanax. You think percocet withdrawals are bad? Xanax will change your brain. So even if you do manage to kick, you will have lasting issues for some time.

Just kick the pills. Lose the fear, there is nothing to be scared about. It will get worse, but not much. Break it down minute to minute and soak in the bath or whatever and get past 3-4 days and you will be fine. The longer you take them, the worse it will get.

Try to cut out a dose . Save for the night so you can sleep. Research Kratom ! I got off 40-60 mg oxy a day using Kratom with little to no discomfort .

Don't take xanax. You think percocet withdrawals are bad? Xanax will change your brain. So even if you do manage to kick, you will have lasting issues for some time.

Just kick the pills. Lose the fear, there is nothing to be scared about. It will get worse, but not much. Break it down minute to minute and soak in the bath or whatever and get past 3-4 days and you will be fine. The longer you take them, the worse it will get.
Do you mean to go cold turkey? What do you mean break it down minute to minute?
Thanks for the response!

When you are withdrawaling. Its the fear that makes it worse. Your body releases hormones that make the withdrawal many times worse. If you relax for a few minutes (jump in a hot shower) and think about how you are actually feeling, its not that bad. At least you can convince yourself that, and get past the intense fear that comes when withdrawal is starting, enough to make it 2-3 days off and it will be starting to subside before you know it.

Stopping opiates is hard. Only few can do it when they realize they now have a habit. And right now your habit isn't much, and its short. I wouldn't even bother tapering. Perhaps give it a try, but a cold turkey withdrawal will be the quickest way to feeling better. 99% of opiate tapers fail. Or just do 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill, .5 pills. 4 days. I have kicked huge opiate addictions, and small ones. They all suck. You just have to accept it, and get past it. Looking for a "pain free" way out is how the cycle continues, and usually the person ends up with another addiction on top of the one they already had (xanax being the #1 contender here). Being 23, you can kick its ass and be on your way.

There are plenty of comfort meds that will help. Anything over the counter. Of course weed (depends on the person and strain I would guess). I always found water, and ibuprofen helps the most to be honest during acute. Once you come out of acute, valerian root, meletonin, etc will help a lot.

But also, you are going to have to withdrawal while your boyfriend will be taking them? And he will be happily snoozing while you are quitting? And then there will still be pills laying around always? This is an issue. Just knowing its so close and easy to get will also make near impossible. I really have no solution for this aside leaving your boyfriend for a few months. You will need enough strength to be able to face opiates being right next to you. Perhaps another solution.

Stop sniffing them too in the meantime. Its ruining your sinuses. That will also drop your tolerance.

I will tell you an old tale in the methadone system. There was this kid on methadone. He was on a blind taper (they don't tell you how much they are giving you). One day he went into the clinic and the nurse told him...you haven't taken a drop of methadone in over a week. He immediately went into withdrawal and was demanding methadone. We have some kind of switch in our brain. As soon as it gets flipped on, we convince ourselves we are dying and cannot do it. You have to somehow figure out how to keep that switch off (you will not die, and you can do it). Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks! It is reassuring to know that you think my dose is on the lower end lol. So far the symptoms might be mostly psychological. If I go about 7+ hours, I start to get sweaty and clammy and feel extremely restless. When I wake up in the morning I am anxious as hell and also have this bizarre soreness and pain in all of my joints that makes it almost hurt to walk. Because of that initial discomfort, I have this fear about how much worse it would get. I wanted to see a therapist actually so I could confide in them and maybe get some assistance surrounding the drug use, but I worry that they will just want to send me to rehab/detox.

How you feeling today? Try not to think of it, do you have video games or something to occupy your mind? The first 3 days are the worst

You can do this!! The good news is, as others have said, your habit is on the lower end - both in terms of dose and the amount of time you've been using. Remember, it will never be easier to stop than it is right now. It only gets harder the longer you go on and the more the dose escalates! As to whether to CT or taper, tapering is only realistic if you are certain you can manage. For me and many other addicts it takes more self-control to taper than it does to just stop. I'd suggest trying cold turkey, and if it's completely unbearable then you can take the lowest dose to relieve symptoms then work your way down from there. You have the desire to stop though, which is great for someone who's only been using for a few weeks!! Many people would still be in the honeymoon period, in total denial or just with no plans of stopping, so good for you!!

How you feeling today? Try not to think of it, do you have video games or something to occupy your mind? The first 3 days are the worst
I haven't started yet. I suck :( I take one in the morning and then go about 6/7 hours and then I go to relieve my symptoms and go a little overboard. I talked to my boyfriend and he's going to lock everything up in the safe and dose me starting tomorrow. It sucks because of quarantine. I am bored and jobless and have nothing to do but think about how much I want to do the drug. Having a reason to be out of the house would help me so much, its the only reason I am able to go 6 hours during the midday when I go out to run random errands.I just want to go one fucking day sticking to my regimen and then go from there. Its infuriating how weak this shit has made me feel. It is cheesy to say, but posting on this forum has honestly made it all feel more real and it feels really nice to have people showing support so I am grateful for that.

It is. How can such a tiny pill have so much control over you?

This is the best time to kick, when jobless. Imagine doing it while working. You were gifted a perfect window to get clean.

Not so sure about the boyfriend dosing you. Unless he is able to watch you suffer, he will give you one. But give it a try. You will learn more and more each time you try. Hopefully you nail it on the 1st one!

You can do this!! The good news is, as others have said, your habit is on the lower end - both in terms of dose and the amount of time you've been using. Remember, it will never be easier to stop than it is right now. It only gets harder the longer you go on and the more the dose escalates! As to whether to CT or taper, tapering is only realistic if you are certain you can manage. For me and many other addicts it takes more self-control to taper than it does to just stop. I'd suggest trying cold turkey, and if it's completely unbearable then you can take the lowest dose to relieve symptoms then work your way down from there. You have the desire to stop though, which is great for someone who's only been using for a few weeks!! Many people would still be in the honeymoon period, in total denial or just with no plans of stopping, so good for you!!
Thank you so much :') I want to stop more than anything, I am just a huge pussy afraid of being sad and in pain. I once considered myself a really strong person but its infuriating how weak this drug has made me feel. I had all these lofty goals that I had planned to start pursuing after graduation and none of them are conducive to a full-blown opioid addiction. (like law school LOL as if:cry:) My self worth is on the floor. I just want to go back in time. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It is cheesy to say, but posting on this forum has honestly made it all feel more real and it feels really nice to have people showing support especially to someone they don't even know. None of my friends or family know the extent of it so its very isolating. Maybe I will try to taper down to a more manageable amount like 2 or 1.5 and then go cold turkey. It does feel almost worse in a way to draw this out for over a month.

Opioid tapers are not pleasant, but they are the price you pay for the euphoria you "borrowed" with your prior use of opioids.

Maybe I will try to taper down to a more manageable amount like 2 or 1.5 and then go cold turkey. It does feel almost worse in a way to draw this out for over a month.
Tapering will basically spread the discomfort of withdrawal over a long period of time, but also making it much less intense. Eventually you will need to make the jump from some opioids to no opioids, and that will be the hardest part. The slower you taper, the easier it will be overall.

Some people might prefer to just go cold turkey all at once instead. It's much more uncomfortable, but the worst of it is over after about 3-5 days, and every day without relapsing will be easier than the last. So you have options, either a short, intense detox; or a more drawn-out but less painful detox.

I actually learned some time ago that my own dear mother (and my father too) was opioid-dependent in the days before I was even a consideration - they were both snorting alphaprodine that my father cooked up for quite some time, but managed to kick the habit successfully and never looked back. (Also, my mother gave up smoking as well before she had me. I admire her strength of will. My dad never could beat the nicotine gremlins though...)

Keep in mind that your opioid dependency is not a personal failing. You are not a bad person for becoming dependent at all.

Also, boredom is the enemy when it comes to making the whole experience manageable. If you are sitting around doing nothing all day you will inevitably focus on your discomfort and make a relapse more likely. If you are instead occupied with something to keep your mind off the taper you will likely find that time will fly by, and you will be opioid-free before you know it. Make a schedule and fill it with things you'd like to do, maybe?

Another pro tip: get rid of all your paraphrenalia associated with opioid use, and try not to put yourself in situations that remind you of your drug use either.

It is. How can such a tiny pill have so much control over you?

This is the best time to kick, when jobless. Imagine doing it while working. You were gifted a perfect window to get clean.

Not so sure about the boyfriend dosing you. Unless he is able to watch you suffer, he will give you one. But give it a try. You will learn more and more each time you try. Hopefully you nail it on the 1st one!
Thank you :')
When you are withdrawaling. Its the fear that makes it worse. Your body releases hormones that make the withdrawal many times worse. If you relax for a few minutes (jump in a hot shower) and think about how you are actually feeling, its not that bad. At least you can convince yourself that, and get past the intense fear that comes when withdrawal is starting, enough to make it 2-3 days off and it will be starting to subside before you know it.

Stopping opiates is hard. Only few can do it when they realize they now have a habit. And right now your habit isn't much, and its short. I wouldn't even bother tapering. Perhaps give it a try, but a cold turkey withdrawal will be the quickest way to feeling better. 99% of opiate tapers fail. Or just do 3 pills, 2 pills, 1 pill, .5 pills. 4 days. I have kicked huge opiate addictions, and small ones. They all suck. You just have to accept it, and get past it. Looking for a "pain free" way out is how the cycle continues, and usually the person ends up with another addiction on top of the one they already had (xanax being the #1 contender here). Being 23, you can kick its ass and be on your way.

There are plenty of comfort meds that will help. Anything over the counter. Of course weed (depends on the person and strain I would guess). I always found water, and ibuprofen helps the most to be honest during acute. Once you come out of acute, valerian root, meletonin, etc will help a lot.

But also, you are going to have to withdrawal while your boyfriend will be taking them? And he will be happily snoozing while you are quitting? And then there will still be pills laying around always? This is an issue. Just knowing its so close and easy to get will also make near impossible. I really have no solution for this aside leaving your boyfriend for a few months. You will need enough strength to be able to face opiates being right next to you. Perhaps another solution.

Stop sniffing them too in the meantime. Its ruining your sinuses. That will also drop your tolerance.

I will tell you an old tale in the methadone system. There was this kid on methadone. He was on a blind taper (they don't tell you how much they are giving you). One day he went into the clinic and the nurse told him...you haven't taken a drop of methadone in over a week. He immediately went into withdrawal and was demanding methadone. We have some kind of switch in our brain. As soon as it gets flipped on, we convince ourselves we are dying and cannot do it. You have to somehow figure out how to keep that switch off (you will not die, and you can do it). Good luck.
Thank you x 10000. This is all very good and encouraging device and I feel much more empowered to do this after posting here. Youre completely right about this being mostly a psychological battle. certainly feels that that way. My boyfriend is going to do it alongside me. He doesn't use them nearly as much as I do and they are actually in the house for other reasons. Hopefully I can start kicking it in the ass tomorrow !!!!

I haven't started yet. I suck :( I take one in the morning and then go about 6/7 hours and then I go to relieve my symptoms and go a little overboard. I talked to my boyfriend and he's going to lock everything up in the safe and dose me starting tomorrow. It sucks because of quarantine. I am bored and jobless and have nothing to do but think about how much I want to do the drug. Having a reason to be out of the house would help me so much, its the only reason I am able to go 6 hours during the midday when I go out to run random errands.I just want to go one fucking day sticking to my regimen and then go from there. Its infuriating how weak this shit has made me feel. It is cheesy to say, but posting on this forum has honestly made it all feel more real and it feels really nice to have people showing support so I am grateful for that.

When i was tapering i was stuck in the house and reading here helped occupy my mind. Crazy how much power a chemical has over us. I just weaned off methadone and jumped for joy when my dentist gave me 30 oxycodone. I should have told him I was an addict but between the pain and my doc being oxy I just couldn't say anything but thank you and almost flew out the door lol.

I just laugh at myself, i should know better but i justified why i needed them and 30 pills did last me 4 days so I'm proud of that. At first I was calling needle exchanges and had to talk myself out of it
Opioids are evil

Im happy you have someone with you but if you ever need to talk send me a pm
If you have it in your head to stop you will. I always considered myself a strong person but not compared to opiates until I got fed up with the addiction