• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids NEED HELP QUITTING METHADONE ASAP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME

Very true. And people get themselves in endless amounts of troubles both blacking out on benzos and also just getting fucked up on benzos and not realizing how impaired they are. I've seen it so many times. And Pumpkins right, that's really low amount to be blacking out on.

Also, in my experience xanax is also just one of the worst. I've seen people have problems with lots of benzos, xanax is the only one I personally have ever had problems with, and it seems to be one of the ones more prone to addiction and other issues.
You are spot on Jess. Xanax is the most insidious of them all. So freakin' many stories of compulsive re-dosing, driving and accidents, stealing from stores, and no recollection whatsoever. Had a friend who had a 19 year old son. He went partying with his buds and they scored Xanax. Next morning he couldn't find his stash ( because he had eaten them all ) and blamed his best buddy for stealing them. He was so convinced, he beat him up and hurt him pretty bad and of course lost his best friend that he had growing up. The instant release and relief within 10 minutes is great for people with REAL panic attacks but that shit doesn't do any favors to recreational users. Shit will fuck up for real and in more ways than one.

You are spot on Jess. Xanax is the most insidious of them all. So freakin' many stories of compulsive re-dosing, driving and accidents, stealing from stores, and no recollection whatsoever. Had a friend who had a 19 year old son. He went partying with his buds and they scored Xanax. Next morning he couldn't find his stash ( because he had eaten them all ) and blamed his best buddy for stealing them. He was so convinced, he beat him up and hurt him pretty bad and of course lost his best friend that he had growing up. The instant release and relief within 10 minutes is great for people with REAL panic attacks but that shit doesn't do any favors to recreational users. Shit will fuck up for real and in more ways than one.

My ex used to constantly start accusing people of stealing his benzos (oxazepam). He never attacked anyone. But every time I'd have to assure him that no, I saw him take them all day.

He was just.. The worst on benzos.

Alright yea I figured I probably shouldn’t take Xanax I’ve only not Blacked out on them 3 times and have Blacked out countless times and every time was not good. I’ve dropped 3mg from my dose since I made this post and I feel fine it’s only been 2 days but I feel the same as I did at 15mg I’m not even irritable or emotional or anything I think I’m going to wait another day or 2 and if I’m still feeling good drop another 2mg so I’d be taking 10mg and see how I feel. Would that be a good idea do you think?

^^^^ also I’m going to start splitting my daily dose in half and taking it every 12 hours as one of you suggested. So right now I am taking 12mg every day so I will start taking 6mg every 12 hours.

^^^^ also I’m going to start splitting my daily dose in half and taking it every 12 hours as one of you suggested. So right now I am taking 12mg every day so I will start taking 6mg every 12 hours.
Does anybody know if this will actually work in lowering my dosage/tolerance? And are you sure I won’t go through withdrawals only taking half my regular dose every 12 hours? I don’t know that just doesn’t seem like it would work the more I thought about it I could definitely be wrong tho obv that’s why I’m asking. Because my dose right now is 12mg so if I only drink 6mg next time I dose and then wait 12 hours and drink another 6mg I feel like I’ll b in light withdrawals doing that. But maybe that’s the point?? If so that makes sense and I think I could definitely do that just going through semi withdrawals doesn’t sound that bad. Also somebody asked how fast I metabolize Methadone, I don’t know precisely how long it takes until I withdrawal after a dose but I’d say somewhere around 13-14 hours it’s pretty fast the person giving it to me could go 2 days without their dose.

Alright yea I figured I probably shouldn’t take Xanax I’ve only not Blacked out on them 3 times and have Blacked out countless times and every time was not good. I’ve dropped 3mg from my dose since I made this post and I feel fine it’s only been 2 days but I feel the same as I did at 15mg I’m not even irritable or emotional or anything I think I’m going to wait another day or 2 and if I’m still feeling good drop another 2mg so I’d be taking 10mg and see how I feel. Would that be a good idea do you think?
I think this is a fine idea. You are doing so well. I'm proud of you !

Does anybody know if this will actually work in lowering my dosage/tolerance? And are you sure I won’t go through withdrawals only taking half my regular dose every 12 hours? I don’t know that just doesn’t seem like it would work the more I thought about it I could definitely be wrong tho obv that’s why I’m asking. Because my dose right now is 12mg so if I only drink 6mg next time I dose and then wait 12 hours and drink another 6mg I feel like I’ll b in light withdrawals doing that. But maybe that’s the point?? If so that makes sense and I think I could definitely do that just going through semi withdrawals doesn’t sound that bad. Also somebody asked how fast I metabolize Methadone, I don’t know precisely how long it takes until I withdrawal after a dose but I’d say somewhere around 13-14 hours it’s pretty fast the person giving it to me could go 2 days without their dose.
MILD withdrawls is the whole idea and should be expected. That's the idea behind tapering vs. cold turkey. Whether you take your dose once a day or twice a day is your choice as long as you stay at your taper dose. I would probably dose half and half so I could look forward to a dose in 12 hours as opposed to waiting the 24 ( but that's just me ). Like you said....methadone has a long half life so withdrawls take a while to set in. Keep yourself REASONABLY comfortable so you don't get discouraged. Just keep your eyes on the prize. Your new job....your new child and your new life !

MILD withdrawls is the whole idea and should be expected. That's the idea behind tapering vs. cold turkey. Whether you take your dose once a day or twice a day is your choice as long as you stay at your taper dose. I would probably dose half and half so I could look forward to a dose in 12 hours as opposed to waiting the 24 ( but that's just me ). Like you said....methadone has a long half life so withdrawls take a while to set in. Keep yourself REASONABLY comfortable so you don't get discouraged. Just keep your eyes on the prize. Your new job....your new child and your new life !

Exactly. Withdrawal will take a while to set it. For a while you'll likely just be experiencing what I call pre-withdrawal. Symptoms that are hard to define and aren't bad enough that I'm willing to call them withdrawal, but are caused by your opioid levels dropping.

This essentially encompasses feeling colder than you should, especially if the room itself is remotely cold. Craving the drug, some mild aches sometimes (easily treated with acetaminophen and/or ibuprofen), sneezing, and just generally feeling kinda shitty in a subtle and hard to describe way. At least that's how it's like for me when my methadone levels get low but aren't low enough to really feel like withdrawal.

Eventually though as your methadone levels drop, yes, this will become proper withdrawal, but hopefully not too severe and within what you can manage and find tolerable with comfort meds. As I said the over the counter pain meds can help quite a bit, there's also a few others.

I dunno if you can ask for doctor for some meds to help with withdrawal, if you can though I definitely would.

Last edited:
Alright yea that sounds good I’m definitely going going split it up and take half every 12 hours that way if I’m having a bad day or anything I’ll have something to look forward to like you said. I won’t get high but I’ll feel a little better still in slight withdrawal but I’ll feel better than I do right before I take it I’m sure. And yea sometimes when I’m not high I’ll get sad or overwhelmed or super emotional or something and the first thing I go for is to get high so I think I’m going to maybe like plan my day out when I wake up you know like think of some things to do that I likely won’t get stressed out doing and just try to avoid situations that might get me worked up in some way. Your right tho I have a lot of motivation in front of me to my life will be so much better if I can just kick this addiction be clean and sober get a nice job and build a good life for me and my little family that’s all I want. I just need to stay strong and make it through this and keep reminding myself that eventually all the withdrawals will be over and me and my little family with have a nice life together. I wish the person giving me the methadone was super strict about keeping me in line and helping me get off, he’s always saying thing like are you sure you don’t want more? You can get a buzz I won’t tell anybody and do you want me to leave it out for you incase you want more. No matter how many times I tell him I’m trying to get clean so that makes it even harder on me constantly having him say things like that I have to be super strong in those moments and when I leave after getting my dose I’m always upset at him like why would he say those things to me when he know what I’m doing. Thank you guys so much though @Pumpkin2021 @JessFR seriously I can’t thank you guys enough for taking your time to help me and give me advice and encouragement. It really means a lot. Thank you to everybody here you guys are good people ❤️. I’ll be back with more questions and updates I won’t leave you hanging and I will beat this addiction.

I have not withdrawn from methadone, but opiate withdrawal is not life-threatening even when it's from a very high dose. Cold turkey from 15mg of methadone would suck, but it definitely would not be unsafe. Opiate withdrawal is hellish, but fortunately, it is not like GABAergic drug withdrawals (like benzos or alcohol) where it can kill you.

EDIT: I am going to amend this post to state that in high dose, severe dependency, opiate withdrawal cold turkey COULD be fatal, if you are in poor health, due to strain on the cardiovascular system. For a relatively low dose, short-term dependency, it has been my experience that cold turkey can be a better option than a long, slow taper, because the longer you're dependent, the longer your withdrawals will be. So if you've been on 15mg of methadone a short time, it might be easier to jump off there than to spend 2 more months slowly dropping your dose and then withdrawing when you have months longer of being dependent.

Either way, 15mg of methadone per day is not going to be life-threatening to withdraw from.

Last edited:
I have not withdrawn from methadone, but opiate withdrawal is not life-threatening even when it's from a very high dose. Cold turkey from 15mg of methadone would suck, but it definitely would not be unsafe. Opiate withdrawal is hellish, but fortunately, it is not like GABAergic drug withdrawals (like benzos or alcohol) where it can kill you.

I would be VERY careful repeating this.

I used to believe it too, it wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in the thousands of posts I've made that I've said it too, but with time and more research, I don't say it now.

Yes, opioid withdrawal isn't usually life threatening. But take someone in severe opioid withdrawal, already malnourished and/or with other underlying conditions like which describes many opioid addicts. Put them in a medically unsupervised environment. They can throw up so much it fucks with their electrolytes or lose fluid from their bodies faster than it can be replaced. And that can kill them.

Sure it's not nearly as likely as some other kinds of withdrawal, but I think we should retire the suggestion that it can't ever kill someone. It seems pretty clear cut to me now that in some situations it can.

I don't mean this to sound alarming, it's highly unlikely you'd die from 15mg methadone cold turkey. I'm more talking about people withdrawing from huge tolerances behind bars.

OpiateKiller mentioned this, but lots of exercise every single day is a HUUUUGE help, it makes a tremendous difference. it's really hard to make yourself do it at first, but just getting in some good cardio and some weights will help so much, your body will release endorphins (natural opioids) and it helps a lot with the restless limbs and depression. Seriously, working out every day will make withdrawal last less time, feel less severe, and you will recover and feel normal again faster (the last part especially). Without daily exercise, the light residual withdrawals, known as PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) will linger on and on, but daily exercise will get you back to feel not just "not bad", but actually good after the acute withdrawals pass. It also helps with acute withdrawals but it's especially crucial after the acutes.

many people disregard this advice, but trust me when I say it makes a huge difference.

Alright yea that sounds good I’m definitely going going split it up and take half every 12 hours that way if I’m having a bad day or anything I’ll have something to look forward to like you said. I won’t get high but I’ll feel a little better still in slight withdrawal but I’ll feel better than I do right before I take it I’m sure. And yea sometimes when I’m not high I’ll get sad or overwhelmed or super emotional or something and the first thing I go for is to get high so I think I’m going to maybe like plan my day out when I wake up you know like think of some things to do that I likely won’t get stressed out doing and just try to avoid situations that might get me worked up in some way. Your right tho I have a lot of motivation in front of me to my life will be so much better if I can just kick this addiction be clean and sober get a nice job and build a good life for me and my little family that’s all I want. I just need to stay strong and make it through this and keep reminding myself that eventually all the withdrawals will be over and me and my little family with have a nice life together. I wish the person giving me the methadone was super strict about keeping me in line and helping me get off, he’s always saying thing like are you sure you don’t want more? You can get a buzz I won’t tell anybody and do you want me to leave it out for you incase you want more. No matter how many times I tell him I’m trying to get clean so that makes it even harder on me constantly having him say things like that I have to be super strong in those moments and when I leave after getting my dose I’m always upset at him like why would he say those things to me when he know what I’m doing. Thank you guys so much though @Pumpkin2021 @JessFR seriously I can’t thank you guys enough for taking your time to help me and give me advice and encouragement. It really means a lot. Thank you to everybody here you guys are good people ❤️. I’ll be back with more questions and updates I won’t leave you hanging and I will beat this addiction.
Excellent attitude to have and you are doing a GREAT job. Just keep your eye on the prize and expect that you will have some cravings and some anxiety at times. That's where Kratom and Lyrica can be your friend. Tell the guy that was diverting HIS methadone to you that it helped in your time of need but to kindly fuck off. He is doing you no favors now that you have decided to quit. Hang in there buddy. It's gonna be ok.

Didn't mean to quote you Xorkoth.....you got bundled in with OP somehow. I do agree with what you said though and Jess had a point as well. Kicking in jail could very well kill you cause they don't give a rats ass but for the average Joe at home with comfort meds and lots of good food and fresh air it is very unlikely. To $wrld999 you are doing a fine job and are facing this head on. Don't get discouraged because your wife and child and new job await you.

A while back, I got on methadone due to a bad breakup with a girl. I hated feeling shitty, so why not get on methadone? Signed up @ the clinic,, and started going each morning @4am to dose. Fast forward 3 months,, was up to 90mg a day, and after coming clean to my mother about me being on methadone she literally abandoned me. Not knowing what to do, I ended up checking into a psych hospital, and all they did was feed me phenobarbital and clonidine. It fucking sucked, but at least I was under a doctors care in a hospital for it. That would be the only way I would suggest coming off of methadone unless you have a taper plan.

Ive never detoxed off methadone but I have off dope. Benzos will definitely help when you make the jump to nothing. Sleep is fleeting when you are first withdrawing but of course you dont want to become dependent on them for sleep. Try tylenol pm and see if that helps first. Clonidine is also amazing, takes away the restless legs, high blood pressure, chills/hot and cold sweats its non narcotic but by prescription only here in the US.

No one mentioned, vitamins!!! Omega 3s help restore your brain, B complex helps with low energy, a multi vitamin...you probably wont eat normally at first - force yourself to consume something regularly throughout the day, it may seem unappealing but will make you feel so much better.

Good luck, you've got this!

So how are you doing and feeling $wrld999 ?
Hey @Pumpkin2021 I’m doing good I’m still at 12mg once everyday right now I still feel fine and I am going to drop 2mg so I’ll be at 10mg everyday very soon and start splitting my dose in half and taking it once every 12 hours like I said I’ve just been very busy these last couple days and haven’t bothered with my dosage or anything. I might have a pretty big problem on my hands though. The person giving me the methadone has started smoking weed again these last couple months and just told me he has failed his last 4 drug tests for weed and the methadone Clinic just called him in for an appointment tomorrow morning he thinks they might take away his take homes which would leave me up shit creek without a paddle :( I can get my hands on Oxymorphone (opana) if I need to and he said if that do that he will go to a doctor and just get it prescribed to him and stop going to the clinic but that would put a pretty big bump on my road.

Yeah. 4 failed urines will probably get the take homes rescinded. One wouldnt be a biggie but they gave him 4 chances. Was hoping you might have gotten a little lower but its ok. Him going back to the Dr. and getting an Opana script might not be that easy. No reputable doc will give it knowing the guy is methadone dependent. How many mgs does he swallow at the clinic daily? I wouldnt count on getting the opana for back up. He might have gotten them before the methadone but it might not be the same now. Your friend doling out his take homes to you is probably not gonna just drop the clinic and switch to opana. Its not that easy. Not by a long shot. He MIGHT be able to cop a script somewhere to help you out but I can assure you he isnt going to stop getting his daily dose. Don't count on anything. Keep reducing and get ready to jump. You are the lone ranger here. He will still get his daily dose and you will get nothing. May not be the way it works out but I would cover my ass. Good luck. Keep me posted.

Yeah. 4 failed urines will probably get the take homes rescinded. One wouldnt be a biggie but they gave him 4 chances. Was hoping you might have gotten a little lower but its ok. Him going back to the Dr. and getting an Opana script might not be that easy. No reputable doc will give it knowing the guy is methadone dependent. How many mgs does he swallow at the clinic daily? I wouldnt count on getting the opana for back up. He might have gotten them before the methadone but it might not be the same now. Your friend doling out his take homes to you is probably not gonna just drop the clinic and switch to opana. Its not that easy. Not by a long shot. He MIGHT be able to cop a script somewhere to help you out but I can assure you he isnt going to stop getting his daily dose. Don't count on anything. Keep reducing and get ready to jump. You are the lone ranger here. He will still get his daily dose and you will get nothing. May not be the way it works out but I would cover my ass. Good luck. Keep me posted.
No I’m not saying he’s going to a doc to try and get an Opana script he never even had one anyways he used to be on Oxys and Morphine that was prescribed but yea now he’s on methadone. I’m was saying he said he’s going to go to his doc and try and get a methadone prescription instead of going to the clinic that way he will always have his methadone at home ig he said you can do that and he’s pretty old been on opiates his whole life I’m sure the doc would give him a methadone prescription obv I don’t know forsure tho. I was saying that I can get ahold of Opana if I needed to you know if they took away his take homes I really don’t want to do that though. But I also have some methadone saved up in an ibuprofen bottle I’ve been saving on the side just incase something like this ever happened. Today I only took 9mg of methadone so 3mg less than the 12mg I was just taking I’m down 6mg totall since I made this post I will let you know how I feel on the 9mg after a day or 2 of being on it so far I haven’t felt any withdrawals symptoms or anything except I don’t notice that in the afternoon right before I’m about to go take my dose I have been a little irritable but nothing major. I will come back tomorrow and let you know how I feel on 9mg.