• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids NEED HELP QUITTING METHADONE ASAP!!!!!! PLEASE HELP ME

$wrld999

Bluelighter
Hey I am a 19 year old guy and I’ve been on Liquid Methadone for about 10 months. I do not go to a clinic or anything. A family member of mine does though and they’ve been giving me some for about 10 months. They let me try it and I liked it and this family member of mine is known to enable people pretty hard. They started giving it to me everyday and I was like hell yea. I did not know that a dependency to it would form so quickly. I’ve used drugs very heavily since about 10th grade so 3 years now. You name it Coke, Xans, Perc, Oxy, Molly, All the Psychedelics, the pressed M30s. A bunch of others but whatever. Anyways I have never gained a dependency to any drug before this. I had always done drugs in binges then on to the next. Come back to the same ones again a bunch but I never stayed long enough to really form a physical dependency to anything. But that wasn’t because I knew a dependency could form easily. I was actually pretty ignorant, I didn’t know that if you used opiates and or methadone for a bunch of days or even a week or two straight that you would become physically dependent on the substance and have some pretty gnarly withdrawals without it lol. So anyways this person offered it to me everyday and I took it, the sips I was taking gradually getting bigger and bigger. While also running through some fet pressed M30s on the side.( I already know I’m so stupid I can’t believe I didn’t see this coming.) So now I am dependent on Methadone and have been for about 10 months. And my girlfriend and I also recently found out she is pregnant 15 weeks right now. And I just lost a really good job I had for over a year because they suspected I was using drugs. And I tried to get another job right away but had to pass a 10 panel drug screen and I tried but yea that didn’t go the way I planned lol. And my girlfriend and family just want me to get clean and then worry about a job anyways. I have to be clean before the baby comes or I will lose the love of my life and a lot of other people I love will not be happy with me. I had a lot of chances in the past from them even before this Methadone addiction. I know I have a drug problem I have since I first tried them, and I know the psychological side of my addiction will be something I have to fight hard and I will. Anyways though I need the absolute best advice for getting off Methadone completely as fast as possible like super super fast. Right now I take 1.5ml which I measure out in this little syringe thing so I know how much I’m on. This amount does not get me high, it is a hair away from getting me a tiny buzz so right on the line. I read online that 1ml = 10mg Of Methadone and I take 1.5ml so if that’s true I take 15mg once everyday. And I have not used any other opiates for a while. So that’s all I’m on. I am hyper sensitive to withdrawals. I start feeling super strong pain within the first 10 minutes, mainly just my stomach hurting very bad and like bubbling it feels like. I feel like I have to throw up and have come very close to it. Restless legs and arms. And I have to poop so bad and it’s never a good poop. This is about all I’ve experienced as far as withdrawals go but this is all in the first 30 minutes of w/d I’ve never went longer than that I always rush to get the Methadone in me. The only reason I’m telling what my W/Ds are like is because from what I’ve read on this site those are not Mild w/d symptoms. They are worse so I’m assuming I’m hyper sensitive to them or something I don’t know. Also from what I’ve read, even going cold turkey at 5mg of Methadone is not a good time foreal and I’m taking 15mg everyday. I can do a super fast taper down to a lower mg before going cold turkey if anyone thinks that would be a good idea just let me know the best way to do that. I just need advice on how to get off of this stuff as quick as possible like super super fast foreal because I need to go get a new job but I have to get this out of the way first. I would greatly appreciate any advice seriously.
Also going to a rehab center thing is not an option I am going to do this at home I just need to know the best and fastest way to do it.
And I know Methadone W/Ds can last awhile
I worry about myself going through it though withdrawals feel dangerous foreal.
Also when I said the person giving me Methadone is known to enable people at the beginning of this that is not me trying to dodge responsibility. I CHOSE TO DRINK THE METHADONE NOBODY MADE ME DO ANYTHING I UNDERSTAND THAT FULLY. I don’t even know why I mentioned that they enable people at the beginning it doesn’t matter I chose to drink it day after day resulting in this.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I will be checking back in on this post and reading and responding to advice.

Hey there 999. Take all this with a grain of salt until a pro comes along to help you better. I have never taken methadone but I have read these forums for many years and this is what I have learned. First of all the good news. 15 mgs a day for 10 months is not a real bad dose or duration. And also it's great that you can taper and are not having to stop totally cold turkey. Ideally it would be good to jump from 1 mg or less but I understand you may not want to wait until you get that low. @negrogesic is the one to give you a schedule to bring your 15 mgs down to 1 in say something like 4 weeks ( since I know you need to get a job and pee clean ). I would suggest trying to take 14 mgs tomorrow....do that for a few days.....then take 13 and so on. Each time you drop shouldn't be too bad until you get down to 5. The taper from 5 to 1 may be rough as you are going to start feeling withdrawls. Negrogesic was on a whopping 380 mgs at one time so I know it's not gonna help you but 15 is a pretty low dose. When you get down to 1 mg just jump and get some comfort meds to take for maybe 7 days and then quit the comfort meds. Kratom, Lyrica, low dose benzo.....just get yourself over the hump. Kratom will help a lot and it wont show up on a panel. Take 7 grams or more at a time. Fewer grams than that may not be enough. Immodioum will help with the runs and try to drink as much as you can ( like water and gatorade ). Stock up on fruits, soups, munchies that are easy to eat and get as much fresh air as you can. This isn't gonna be a walk in the park but the 15 mgs at only 10 months is for sure in your favor. Hope this helps. Theres lots of methadone peeps in here that will come along with great advice. Good luck !!

Your situation is a little awkward as you're not getting it prescribed and have to rely on a supply which may not be consistent.

Also, the dosing in the US is a little weird. In the UK, our methadone is 1mg/ml so it's easy to work out where you're at. 10mg/ml is fuckin stupid imo and makes the final taper more difficult. It's almost as if they don't want you to get off (probably because you have to pay for it).

Once you get down to 10mg/day with no other opiates/opioids in the mix, then you're heading in the right direction. But the key thing is to not jump off too soon. I had to get down to 1mg/day before I could sack it, but that was after a 20 year habit.

10 months of methadone dependence is not insignificant, but you may be able to jump off at a higher dose than I did.

Everyone is different, however. The trick is to not force it and reduce at your own pace. But for this to be successful, do NOT use any opiates/opioids on top.

If it's just 15mg a day, consider yourself luckly, because it is a pretty low dose.

Still, cold turkey from 15mg would be no walk in the park. When i cold turkey'ed at 5mg I was shocked how bad the withdrawal was, and how long it lasted (about 20 days).

Im not sure I understand the question exactly. The goal is to taper as much as possible. Can you dilute the 1.5ml to say 10ml and then slowly reduce. For instance, dilute to 10ml and then take say 9ml for a bit, then 8ml, 7ml etc, etc.

Alright what is the least amount of days you can wait in between a drop while tapering. Also do you think I’d be safe going cold turkey from 5,10, Or 15mg without supervision from a health professional? Like would I definitely survive it? I’m just worried about something bad happening during w/d they feel dangerous and I’m pretty sure I’m hyper sensitive to them or something I get really bad ones in the first 30 mins of them. Do you guys think I would 100% survive jumping at those doses without any major complications? But if you guys don’t think I’d be fine jumping from a dose like that. Then what is a good schedule for tapering while doing it as fast as you can like what’s the least amount of days between each drop that I can wait and how many mg should I drop each time I have dosage syringes so I can measure out any amount of mg if you could please recommend a good and fast schedule for that I’d really appreciate it. Thank you guys for taking the time to help me!!!!!!! Seriously thank you!

Go low. Once you've got down to 1mg/day for a month, you should be absolutely fine. Like I said, just take it slow and easy...

Are you going to be doing this with or without comfort meds? If I had NOTHING, I would taper REAL slow. If I had benzos and Lyrica, and Kratom I would say fuck it and jump now. But that's just me cause those meds I mentioned would be really helpful and would be of great comfort. Just have to stop those helpers after a week or two or you know how that shit works ! :love: Anyhow....just know that you can do this. If you want it bad enough you will either taper and jump or hook up some good comfie cozy meds and jump NOW ! Good luck whichever you do.

I could get a hold of Benzos and Kratom if you really think they’d make it a lot easier for me. Alprazolam Xanax would work fine? Also what is the least amount of days you can wait between a drop for tapering?

I could get a hold of Benzos and Kratom if you really think they’d make it a lot easier for me. Alprazolam Xanax would work fine? Also what is the least amount of days you can wait between a drop for tapering?

Honestly, you're best just doing a slow reduction from the methadone. Resorting to 'comfort meds' just results in a poly drug addiction which will hinder your progress.

Honestly, you're best just doing a slow reduction from the methadone. Resorting to 'comfort meds' just results in a poly drug addiction which will hinder your progress.
Alright I hear you and I understand that. Just so I know tho, do you know the least amount of days you can wait to drop lower during a taper? Like how long do you have to wait minimum between each drop? Because I’m kinda in a rush. And if I doesn’t go good rushing through it then I’ll start going slow but I need to know what the least amount of days you can wait between each drop is please.

Alright I hear you and I understand that. Just so I know tho, do you know the least amount of days you can wait to drop lower during a taper? Like how long do you have to wait minimum between each drop? Because I’m kinda in a rush. And if I doesn’t go good rushing through it then I’ll start going slow but I need to know what the least amount of days you can wait between each drop is please.

I can't say what the shortest interval between dose reductions is.

I personally stabilised for a month after every drop in dose.

That worked for me, but everyone is different.

I can't say what the shortest interval between dose reductions is.

I personally stabilised for a month after every drop in dose.

That worked for me, but everyone is different.
Alright I gotcha. Any tips for getting off this stuff for the physical or psychological side of things? Any little things that've helped you?

Exercise helped me immensely to get off of methadone
Alright awesome I skate board a lot already so I’ll start getting out there more. @negrogesic do you happen to know the minimum amount of time somebody would need to wait in between dosage drops while tapering? If so please let me know ima kinda in a rush. Also I’m scared of W/Ds because they feel really dangerous like something bad might happen to me while I’m going through them. If I went cold turkey at 5 -10mg would I more than likely be okay and not have any major complications in your opinion? Or is it possible something bad could happen? Not saying I will go cold turkey off ither of those doses I’m definitely going to go lower but I’m just curious. It’d be good to know in case I ever had to if I should be worried or not. I’m scared of something like that happening. Thank you for your input so far though I appreciate it.

Alright awesome I skate board a lot already so I’ll start getting out there more. @negrogesic do you happen to know the minimum amount of time somebody would need to wait in between dosage drops while tapering? If so please let me know ima kinda in a rush. Also I’m scared of W/Ds because they feel really dangerous like something bad might happen to me while I’m going through them. If I went cold turkey at 5 -10mg would I more than likely be okay and not have any major complications in your opinion? Or is it possible something bad could happen? Not saying I will go cold turkey off ither of those doses I’m definitely going to go lower but I’m just curious. It’d be good to know in case I ever had to if I should be worried or not. I’m scared of something like that happening. Thank you for your input so far though I appreciate it.

Well opioid withdrawal "usually" isn't likely to actually kill you or anything. In extreme cases, it can happen, but it's pretty uncommon. Feeling like you're gonna die or a sensation of dread is pretty much a given with withdrawal. But actually dying is quite uncommon. If you're otherwise healthy, from 5-10mg I doubt it would cause any lasting damage. It'd just be extremely unpleasant. I don't know if you've experienced a full opioid withdrawal, if not all I'll say is it'll probably be worse than you expect.

You said you're not actually sure what mg per ml your methadone is. It varies depending on where you live. I know 5mg per ml versions exist in some parts of the world, as do 10mg per ml, there might also be a 1mg per ml in some places but I've never confirmed that.

If you're in the US it should be 10mg per ml.

As for dose reductions, I think the most common dose change interval is weekly. I'm not 100% I've never actually reduced off methadone. I've only ever gotten off about 30-40mg of methadone by getting back on heroin.

It's probably better to also reduce your dose by a percentage rather than a set amount.

Good luck man. Methadone is a hard one to cold turkey off. It has a long half life. Fortunately all things considered you're not actually on that much.

For instance I'm on 80mg myself (8ml if going by 10mg per ml). It'll still be rough, but it could be a lot worse and you're wise to try and get this under control sooner than later.

Good luck man. <3

Last edited:
@JessFR Thank you very much. That made me feel a lot better. And yea I looked it up and in the U.S the Liquid Methadone I am using is 10mg per ml and I take 1.5ml once a day everyday so 15mg a day. I think I am going to use the method @negrogesic suggested and dilute my dose with 8.5ml of water and start by drinking 9ml of that then 8,7,6 and so on until my daily dose is 1mg a day then I will jump and tough it out from there. Thank you to all of you guys and girls. I really appreciate the advice you’ve helped me a lot. I will keep you guys updated on my progress and let you know if I have any other questions along the way.

Ps. If a moderator or anyone sees this thread please do not close it. I will definitely be back with more questions I’m sure and updates and I’d like to use this same thread. If you have to I understand though.

Ps. If a moderator or anyone sees this thread please do not close it. I will definitely be back with more questions I’m sure and updates and I’d like to use this same thread. If you have to I understand though.

I doubt anyone will close it. There's no problems with it.

I do wonder if the thread might be more at home in the dark side or health and recovery since it seems to be headed towards recovery support rather than ongoing drug harm reduction. If so we can just move it.

@negrogesic what do you think?