Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Need help putting together legal submission to the Supreme Court

This is very interesting.

The WA position

Sadly in WA, the Court of Appeal has already gone the other way. MDMA is meant to be considered as serious as methylamphetamine or heroin.

The offending judgement was Darwell and a few others have followed:

Ecstasy forms part of the group of drugs known generally as amphetamines. They are now being regarded as being at the high end of the scale of seriousness in the hierarchy of prohibited drugs. They are close enough to heroin and cocaine to be included in the same category”.

Darwell v The Queen (1997) 94 A Crim R 35 at 40 per Malcolm CJ
For our Judges it is basically that because MDMA is so closely related to methylamphetamine, and because methylamphetamine had become such a scourge in the community, MDMA must be considered as equally serious.

Another decision that demonstrates this gross misunderstanding by WA's highest Court about the effects of the drug is the following:

For example, it is only in comparatively recent times that drugs in the amphetamine group have ceased to be regarded as middle of the range drugs. Some of the drugs in the amphetamine group, in particular methylamphetamine, are now beginning to be equated with top of the range drugs, such as cocaine and heroin…We are concerned with MDMA or ecstasy, but ecstasy is in the amphetamine group and it is now coming to be treated in this Court as a highly dangerous drug of addiction. In recent times, the courts have expressed a view that sentences hitherto imposed for offences involving ecstasy have been ineffective as a general deterrent and that the time has come to impose stiffer sentences.

Ruvinovski v R (2000) 116 A Crim R 131 at 143 per Anderson J (Kennedy ACJ and Ipp J agreeing)
To equate MDMA with methylamphetamine because they are in the amphetamine family and to call it a dangerous drug of addiction is mistating the point.

The Victorian Case

The negative thing for MDMA in this case is to be associated with cannabis. For me, the reason why drug traffickers are treated so harshly by the Courts is because Judges see day after day the misery and "terrible destruction" drugs cause in our community.

However, in the Australian community at least, those drugs that cause almost all of the damage are methylamphetamine, heroin, cannabis and alcohol. The vast majority of the Criminal Courts' work is caused solely through crimes:

(i) to feed drug addictions;
(ii) committed when under the influence of drugs; or
(iii) committed by people whose mind or life has become so destroyed by drugs, that they no longer function as an ordinary law abiding human being.

In short, Judges hate drug traffickers. But Judges cannot distinguish between the drugs through lack of understanding. They also find it hard to distinguish between drug traffickers based upon the type of drug (excluding cannabis) and the intended market of the particular drug.

The most important angle in this argument is to ask the Court, why must drug trafficking be punished so severely?

The answer (in my view) is because of the harm these drugs cause to the community. The individual user must come second.

Heroin, methylamphetamine and cannabis all cause signficant harm to the community, as does alcohol. They cause this harm because they are:

(i) addictive;
(ii) used everyday by people who commit drug related crime; and
(iii) they are the types of drugs that are abused by those persons who are most vulnerable in our community, who have the most problem,s and who have the least prospects.

MDMA must be removed from this category of drugs.

Judges who say MDMA is addictive or who say it is a drug that leads people to commit crimes against property or other people must be silenced. It is the one drug for which all the rhetoric and the principal ideology behind sentencing drug traffickers has almost zero application. It certainly has less application than it does for cannabis.

No one comes to Court and tells the Judge the ecstasy tablet made them do it. They do however come to Court and blame almost every other drug under the sun, including alcohol.

Cannabis

In WA the Parliament has legislated that anyone dealing in any prohibited drug except cannabis faces a maximum 25 years imprisonment. For those dealing in cannabis it is only a maximum 10 years. That is a clear indication from Parliament where cannabis sits as opposed to the other drugs. MDMA sadly, instead of being seen as being comparable or less serious than cannabis, has instead been pushed the other way and elevated towards heroin and methylamphetamine. It is simply not right.

In summary:

(1) Focus on why those that peddle drugs generally must be punished?
(2) When you answer that question, ask what is it about certain drugs that make them a "scourge" in the community.
(3) When you answer that question, ask does MDMA really fit that category, and then prove why, both scientifically and in everyday reality, it does not.
(4) Raise the other issues that have been discussed which focus more on the physiological effects on the user (to me a small point in sentencing drug traffickers)
(4) Hammer the point that merely because MDMA is part of the amphetamine family that does not make it anything like methylamphetamine, as to its effect on users, the patterns of its use, its capacity to cause violence, its addictiveness etc.
(5) Come up with counter arguments to what is listed below.

Of course the government with argue there are other reasons, as opposed to simply the harm caused to the community, why MDMA must continue to be punished severely. These include:

(1) increasing prevalence and need for deterrence
(2) it is a drug largely aimed at and used by young people
(3) it is a drug that inevitably leads to methylamphetamine use, either in conjunction with the MDMA (most on here are guilty of this) or after the user leaves MDMA behind (rightly or wrongly, this will be the argument)
(4) reducing the penalties will only increase the amount of MDMA in the community
(5) the potential cause of mental illness given the drugs unknown long term effects
(6) public interest reasons for not seeming soft on "hard" drugs

This is a vital argument to win. Its benefits flow down from convicted drug traffickers to the everyday users. If a Court sentencing an MDMA trafficker is prepared to put him or her in the same boat as a cannabis trafficker, as opposed to a methylamphetamine or heroin trafficker, it follows that MDMA users may begin to be seen like those who "smoke the odd bit of weed". As opposed to how they are seen now.

(Of course this does not help the recreational users of methylamphetamine who don't contribute to the level of crime and decaying social fabric, but it's a start.)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of this. I am giving our lawyers a link to this thread. We don't have very long to put all of this together, and of course it has come at the worst possible time, what with most people being away. I will probably have more news of exactly what is happening with this after xmas. Again thanks. You guys rock.

Justy a thought that came to mind...........

A number of people have highlighted the fact that judges are tough on drugs because they see the problems it causes.........

That may be true for Heroin and a number of other "addictive" drugs however in my opinion, simply being put through the court system, irrelevant of penalty, would be a bigger problem in a persons life than any possible problems as a result of use of Ecstasy.

I actually wonder if a case could not be made against the government for not encouraging education and harm minimisation.

If a parent does not provide some sort of sex education for there child, arent they seen as being negligent? Fact is the government has recognised this and instilled sex education into schools.............. why not accurate drug education and harm minimisation.

I doubt there's anything I can suggest that you haven't thought of, but:

I'd push
- the non-addictive nature of MDMA comparitive to other drugs.
- The lack of a link between MDMA usage and other crime (e.g. heroin addicts mug people or steal to fund their habit, ecstasy users don't).
- lack of evidence (after 20 odd years) for any long-term mental harm caused as a result of MDMA usage (though I guess there are arguments against this point of view as well)
- the potential therapuetic uses for MDMA.

There's some good recent NZ data in: Wilkins C, Reilly J, Rose E, Roy D, Pledger M, Lee A (2004) The Socio-Economic Imapct of Amphetamine Type Stimulants in New Zealand: Final Report, September. Centre for Social and Health Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Massey University, Auckland. Available here: http://www.shore.ac.nz/publications/publications_8.html
(though this report does point to people experiencing negative effects from MDMA usage).

This is all still happening. We are waiting to hear if they want to hear from us. We should have an answer in the next couple of weeks. Thanks ot everyone for the input. Even if they don't hear us we are still going to put all of this together and have it available on our site.

I too think that I would use a lot of the MAPS.org data. In their MDMA section they have a lot of great research articles on the low risk of nero toxicity. I am almost certain that this was submitted in order to get a DEA licence to the US government. It was given to them and so far that trial where they have administered PTSD patients with MDMA has gone well. They also have the news on there site of the approval of a Swiss trial and a Israeli trial in the works. I would take the angle of that... the research data submitted to the US government by MAPS.org concluded that MDMA was at a low risk of neruotoxicity and at least no more nerotoxic than methamphetamine (wich is prescribed in daily dosages to children). If this was enough go the government to conclude it was safe enough for them to hand out a licence to trial MDMA in psychotherapy then why is it still considered in the same field as heroin?

In MDMA: The Comprehensive Guide is says that the laws for simple possesion of a number of MDMA pills are not really worried about in Switzerland. Only trafficers with large ammonnts. The reason they consider this a soft drug is because they consider is a low risk to society... and low risk to the public... (ie no ecstasy addicts on the streets no and very few with psychlogical damage)

I think that the Maps approach is a good one... ie here is a bunch of psychotherapsits who used MDMA for roughly 10yrs before it became illegal and used it relatively safely The only reason I see for it becoming illegal in the first place was because a company in the US started to mass produce it and it was emergency scheduled in fear of it becomeing another LSD. Can't it not be shown that today even it's adulterated/impure form has shown a low risk and a low rate of hospitalisatons? Even the tharapists in that same book have applauded MDMA's controllable and fear dissolving like state it produced. I think it can be shown that this is not at all the same risks of phsychological trauma that LSD could produce in the wrong settings. I am pretty sure most countries laws of prohibition of MDMA followed of from the US out of the United Nation Drug law (or whatever it's called). So it's now 20yrs on from that emergency drug sheducing of MDMA in the US can't it now be shown that the US government was mistaken in prohibiting this substance on the grounds that a serious risk? It has been used extensively by what could be considered the least responsible group of people in society (ie mostly youth and teens) and in the anything from ideal protected clinical conditions (ie. with a therapst). What serious risks to have presented themselves 20 yrs on that warrant such a hard penalty?

I remember reading a couple of years ago a front page newspaper article by the head abulance officer (in Australia or NSW?!?) praising the much lower rate of callouts, deaths, violence (normally from alcohol) ect becuase of the recent popularity of ecstasy.

If it can be shown that the vast majority of hospitalisations from ecstasy were the result of adulterated, unknown or even possibly in some small cases (although unlikely) a very high ammount of MDxx in a certain pill that was taken with out knowing that that's what it contained, wouldn't it then be able to show that it quantitative legal pill testing is needed in Australia and that this would solve most of the risk of what could be considered a low risk substance?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings ;)
Ekstasis-//7

Last edited: