• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need HELP!! EXTREME anxiety on methadone maintenance!

The methadone program doesn't want that as it's a very deadly combo, they force many benzo/methadone patients into detox for benzos to continue methadone treatment.

^^ this is true and is probably why you are having trouble finding a doc to script you benzos while on methadone, although it does happen. At first glance it seems you are on too little of a dose. 45mg daily is a fair dose but frankly not that much especially if you were IVing H. You may need a higher dose, or a different medication like suboxone. On the other hand you may truly need benzos. Have you ever been prescribed benzos before?

I know what you are going through and that it can feel horrible before you get stable on a medication/dose, but it really is worth the effort to make it happen. Just remember that being prescribed benzos + MMT can really be dangerous, and that more medication isn't always better.

What I would try doing is stop going to the methadone clinic and find some Xanax off the street, just enough to get you through the waiting period you body habituates to the use of xanax quickly, and your mind even quicker. Wait until you are sick from being off the m'done before you take any, put the does you normally take under your tongue. It will taste like shit, but how much quicker it kicks in is well worth the taste when you're freaking the fuck out. If that doesn't do the trick, adjust your dose as you see fit without going overboard and monitor your breathing (as long as you're breathing every 5 seconds, you're fine) - remember though, you do still have methadone in your system. Be sure to have loads of loperamide (Imodium Anti-Diarrhea) to get you to the appointment. With your tolerance, take at least 6 of the pills when you have your first shit. Avoid taking OTC sleep aids, they will make the restless leg syndrome worse. Have sex (with you on bottom of course) or rub one out if you feel up to it, this seems to help me a bit when I'm withdrawing. If you have pool access, get in it, let the warm water relax your muscles. Eat healthy. Do anything good for your body you can.

When you make it through those few days it takes, go to your psychiatrist, explain what you did and give her explicit reasons why you did so. Usually if you're up front and honest with doctors, they respect you a lot more and are more apt to be understanding of your situation.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Dear 24, hello.... I am taking Methadone right now also, and can well relate to everything you describe in your post. I also experience extreme anxiety, and the most horrifying sense of impending doom. I just assumed that this anxiety was the result of some horrible condition that I had acquired, as a result of past traumas I had been through. But no ! It has only just occurred to me within the past couple of days, that I am suffering the side effects of Methadone ! I googled methadone and it's side effects, and have found out that is is not uncommon at all, for the patient to experience anxiety. I have complained of this horrible condition to my prescriber, many times, but to no avail. Unfortunately in Australia, methadone is a therapy with an agenda behind it, and not a harsh word may be said. If you'd like to chat more, please feel free to message me. I do feel for you, and your predicament. All the best.... Elle

Sounds like too LOW of a dose to me. I experience the same horrible anxiety/ frustration/ shitty feeling when I was on too low a dose of Methadone..I went into me doc, complained about the dose possibly being too low, and they doubled it right then. Now I no longer get any of these horrible anxiety attacks, rather I am pretty chill all day from my higher dose methadone.

I would be quite careful with all the advice to just increase your dose, especially if the eventual plan is to taper and move to Subs or taper and quit altogether. Being at a stable dose of 30mg or less + then waiting 72 hrs before suboxone induction is ideal and in most cases should prevent the dreaded precipitated withdrawal. It seems like possibly tapering and moving to subs would be better because you can then likely be prescribed a small amount of a benzo and hopefully you will have less anxiety this way. I'm prescribed .5mg Klonopin with my 2mg/day of Subs by my Sub Dr. so it is more possible than benzo + methadone because the ceiling effect of buprenorphine makes over sedation/OD with added benzo's less likely to occur.

Last edited:
Doctors will write scripts for beta blockers to people on methadone reductions. The panic is still in the head but the heart isn't pounding so hard you can hear it.

I feel exactly like you do im on methadone now for about 3 months after trying suboxone that didnt work so im on 130 mg of methadone and its giving me anxiety n panic attacks real bad idk why tho :( it feelz horrible i felt like i was having a heart attack and was going to die my addiction was the 30 mg oxy 6 times a day but i didnt sniff or shoot up i just swallowed them regular it started because my husband got them for knee pain and i happend to have a tooth ache and the rest is history :( but i didnt want to go on methadone because i was scared and i heard bad stuff about it and also i didnt want to be looked at like a common junkie i wish i could feel better if you have any suggestions im open to them thanx so much hope u feel better too

I was on methadone for about a year and a half and what you're describing is exactly what happened to me. The first few months were fine and then I began to experience exactly the symptoms you describe. The worst part was that constant impending doom you describe. It was almost constant torment. I started having severe panic attacks when I was in my mid to late twenties and was diagnosed with panic disorder. When i started the MMT program I had been off my anxiety meds for a few years and was doing really well until I had been on the methadone for a few months and then it was worse than ever. Is anxiety something you've dealt with in the past or just since starting the methadone? Everyone is different. How one medication affects one person may have a totally different affect on you. I'm not suggesting this for you but i finally couldn't take it anymore and just recently dosed down and got off of it. Have a talk with your councelor before you even consider that. Maybe there are meds for anxiety nowadays that are safe to take with methadone . DONT GIVE UP!