• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need help and advice with opiate withdrawal!!!!!

WasteLand Warrior

Bluelighter
so i've been using heroin for at least it feels like forever!! i've been off of it for a week because of suboxone but now im out of subs and im starting to panic!!! what over the counter medicines will take away withdrawal symptoms i've heard lopermide helps is there any other things that take withdrawals away? anybody have any experience with lopermide any advice??? please help thanks

Lope is a bad choice. It works... Maybe very short term but it damages your heart and it can be habit forming. Go to a doctor, get some clonidine and a muscle relaxer and some dxm syrup.. dxm syrup is shown to quicken detox time in some studies.

Get off it all. Should have tapered with sub when you had the chance...

^^^ Lopermide is not a bad choice, as it is the only otc opiate. Use it short term. Use it with a stool softener. It is very inexpensive in generic "Anti-diarrheal" meds. Also DXM is right! it will shorten the W/D times. NOT Necessarily syrup. DXM comes in many forms, pills, lozenges. Take up to 100mg up to 3 times a day, and your w/d time and w/d symptoms will be cut in half.

Use some lope but not a lot. Do NOT take any OTC sleeping pills, they will cause the restless limbs to be multiplied by 1000. I quit Saturday and have a thread going right now that you may want to read. I was on a short acting opiate when I jumped so you experience will probably be different, but for me the first day was Hell and the 2nd unbelievably better. Get some benzos they help. Keep in contact with someone that can encourage you and keep posting how things are going on BL. People will respond to your posts and give you encouragement. Good luck you will be so happy when you start to see the light. Lots of good karma to you. PM me if you need somebody to talk to, we can do it together.

Alright, I worked decently extensive on this response, so please take a moment and read thoroughly.

I was under MMT (Methadone Maintenance Therapy), receiving 240mg Methadone per day for 2 1/2 years (approx 31 months). Previous to being placed onto MMT, I was self-medicating with ~80-120mg Hydrocodone for about 1 year.

I went Cold Turkey at home (in my bedroom). NOT in a hospital.
Advice: If you're sensitive to pharmaceuticals (or drugs in general), --OR-- have any known drug allergy... I suggest visiting an in-patient facility that can provide treatment for Opiate Detox.

Beginning Stage (about 4 days) from receiving your last dose.

Feeling Icky, or the general "there's something wrong with me" feeling.
Sleep/Appetite begin to appear "hard to get", yet highly desirable.
"Self-doubt" stage. You may begin to wonder if you're going to be capable of finishing this to the end.
Advice: You only feel this due to "Anticipatory Anxiety". It *WON'T* be as bad as you think it's going to be. Calm down!
In-between Stage (Week #1 -thru- Week #4) - Your body is in the process of starting to produce it's own (Endogenous) opiate receptor agonists. "Endorphins"...
Recovery (Critical) Stage
After 1mo (30 days) - Critical stage from where your beginning to process avg day to day activities with your natural reward circuit.

You need to begin restructuring your Reward System (Where you perform a good thing, and/or you perform physical exertion, your brain produces a massive "splurge" of Endorphins).
You can restructure by staying away from synthetic opioids (drugs), etc.. and performing exercise... going "back to work"
Perform easy activation of your Oxytocin "love-drug" system via social interaction (hanging out with friends).

The most "annoying" symptom is that of the Restless Body, usually described as "The inability to stay still".

• Cause: Hyper-activation of the S.o.N.S. (Somatic Nervous System).
    The Peripheral Nervous System is divided into (2) subsystems. Composed of the:
    • S.o.N.S. - "Somatic Nervous System"
    • A.N.S - "Autonomic Nervous System"
  • Reason:Opiate based prescription drugs inhibit your SoNS. Causing profound "relax-ability".
Treatment: Clonidine (0.2mg orally, 2 to 3 times daily) - Weighing in at 160lbs.

Sun Bathing (or Vitamin D supplements) performed whenever possible. Supplments taken daily just in-case I wasn't able to receive sun for that day (storms, etc)
Anti-Histamine (Loratadine, aka "Claritin", or Fexofinidine ("Allegra") - either one will do just fine. I took 2x the box dosage (10mg in the morning, & 10mg in the afternoon).

Loperamide for Diareah, Ibuprofen for pain, Nyquil for insomnia, Benadryl for nausea (not what its for, but helps me with nausea), are all great OTC choices.

Not saying they're going to take your w/d away completely, but they'll give you SOME relief at least.

I highly recommend to everyone who plans to detox off anything, to have their doctor (family doc, internist, pain doc, etc) call in a RX of Zofran sublingual tablets. Get a script for 1-2 taken every 4 hrs as needed for 10 days, and get a few refills on it if u can. This is the BEST anti-nausea drug there is, it works almost immediately, within a minute literally,and the sublingual form keeps you from having to drink anything if you feel queasy. Fortunately in my case I don't get nauseous at all or have any vomiting from withdrawals; but I have dysautonomia which causes random episodes of nauseous out of nowhere, and when it happens I just pop a Zofran and within a minute it's gone. It is something I will never leave home without. For anyone who experiences nausea from withdrawals, get a RX for it, you will be thankful you did! And it's not controlled so docs aren't hesitant to RX it. :)

If you'll drink plenty of water, and just live with the shits for a couple of days... your body will start "adjusting" and it'll go away.