• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Need Help - 2 Week ativan usage

Arf417

Greenlighter
I was prescribed Ativan and taking around .5 two times a day for two weeks. The past 3 nights I am only taking .5 at bedtime and I want to stop. Do I need to taper to .25 for a few days and then just come off? Or just stopping now might be ok? With the short time period I don't really know. I have addiction history, but never with benzo's and don't want to start! Any suggestions or thoughts would be great!

I am by no means a expert on benzodiazepines or a medical professional so please consult your prescribing physician before altering medication. With that said, from my understanding two weeks is a realitively short time and those are small doses for benzo usage. Everyone's body can respond differently of course, but I would think cold turkey in your situation shouldnt produce severe enough withdraw to be life threatening. Albeit probably a little uncomfortable. The problem with tapering is it's typically done with longer acting drugs such as Valium and you have to be disciplined enough to stick to a strict tapering plan otherwise you end up right back where you started. You have to weigh the risk reward as with everything in life.

^^as stated above, PLEASE talk to your doctor, that's the only truly safe way to wd from benzos, everyone develops tolerance at different rates and just in case you're one of the unlucky ones who develops physical dependence quickly, it's better to be on the safe side. We may know drugs here but we don't know your body, know what I mean?

With that out of the way, it's highly unlikely you'll experience anything other than some rebound anxiety and/or insomnia. Your dose is not particularly high, though not the lowest either, but it's rare that people go through serious wd after 2 weeks. I've heard of it happening, but not often. If you've abused other gaba drugs in the past, that may increase the likelihood. But honestly just go over this with your doc, you have a legal script anyway and they'll definitely help you out and see if you need to do a taper. While it's not impossible, it's *probably* unlikely tapering will even be worth it, but again, only your dr can try to determine that.

Do not take the following as advice, it's just for some perspective, but I've been using benzos on and off for nearly 6 months now, I used to use daily for a month and then it because a few times a week thing, then rare and now I'm back to using them a few times a week. Zero signs of physical dependence so far, but I think I'm VERY lucky in that regard because most people on here seem to get wds from much less use than that. But the point is it's a bell curve and you don't know which end of it you're on, so that's why it's better to be safe.

Tl;dr- it's unlikely you'll experience serious wd if any at all but the only person who can really tell you this and help you out is your doctor. Good luck and I hope you can get off the benzos are smoothly as possible :)

Like M-D said, no one can really tell you if you're dependent or not. However, that's a pretty low dose of a pretty week benzo (compared to alprazolam or clonazepam, ativan is half as strong), I doubt you're dependent after two weeks of such amounts. I would just try and go without it and if I started noticing withdrawal symptoms like extreme anxiety or tremors, then take a .25mg dose.

Like M-D said, no one can really tell you if you're dependent or not. However, that's a pretty low dose of a pretty week benzo (compared to alprazolam or clonazepam, ativan is half as strong), I doubt you're dependent after two weeks of such amounts. I would just try and go without it and if I started noticing withdrawal symptoms like extreme anxiety or tremors, then take a .25mg dose.

Good advice....I'd personally go without it as your dosages are VERY small.

I don't know much about Ativan in particular so I didn't know that was considered a very small dose, but yeah in that case just stop taking them and if you start getting wd symptoms, then call or see your dr. I did that recently and was honestly very surprised that I didn't get any wd (and I used benzos way more heavily, abused would be a better word) but for some people, a week of use is problematic, so that's why benzo dependence and wd is such a crapshoot. If you start getting symptoms, especially if it's more than rebound anxiety/insomnia, then it's time to see your doc and figure out a taper plan. But there's a good chance you'll be completely fine CTing and doing a taper before you even know if you're going to get wd would frankly do more harm than good.

I appreciate everyones feedback. I am going to just stop taking it and see what happens. I am sure I will be fine, but as I get older I worry more these days. I just don't want WD's affecting my job is the only main concern, but I should be ok. Thanks again!

So I am now almost 96 hours without any Ativan. I honestly don't know if I'm having or had any withdrawals or if mentally I have convinced myself I have. I've had panic attacks and really have been tempted to take an Ativan but I'm scared that .5mg is enough to keep this viscous cycle going. Hopefully mentally everything can subside quick. I'm sleeping good at least but overall feel kinda crappy.

Just remember coming off benzos does not really hit you until your completely off them for like a week i suffered then but i was coming off a very long term diazepam addiction hence the fact i went back on them as being off them even 9 months later i still felt strange .I have just got from 20mg to 4mg of diazepam doing a reduction of 2mg per month im on 4 does not touch me so i will probably go back up to about 15 and stay on it as i know i can live a decent life on 15 to 30 daily on 4 to 12 mg im ill all the benzo symptoms sore eyes no sleep sweats no energy a social recluse so to hell with that. But yku will be fine its a weaker benzo you only been on it a short time take medical advice first but get off it please they are horrible when you get a proper habit to be safe do a low dose reduction every month if you need to i think you are worrying to much you will be fine trust someone who has had a 25 year habit stop now

So I am now almost 96 hours without any Ativan. I honestly don't know if I'm having or had any withdrawals or if mentally I have convinced myself I have. I've had panic attacks and really have been tempted to take an Ativan but I'm scared that .5mg is enough to keep this viscous cycle going. Hopefully mentally everything can subside quick. I'm sleeping good at least but overall feel kinda crappy.
in my opinion if you're sleeping ok than you're blessed. remember, anxiety is a normal feeling in humans. it's our bodies way of alarming of us of something that isn't right. is there something at work or home that's stressful? Have you truely experienced panic attacks (heart attack feeling, can't breath etc) also remember that the mind is a powerful thing, you can put yourself into withdrawals if you focus too much on it. just try to go on about your life and live. good luck

OP, you will be fine. A lot of us have come off long use, heavy dose benzos just like you are. We made it. Sure it was a bitch at some points, but we made it. Your short term use shouldn't be that bad. It's mostly in your head. If you feel like tapering,then taper. If you feel like jumping, jump. If your that attached, call your doctor. I must warn you. If this's low dose is that much of a problem and you tell your doctor, you will probably never get prescribed them again. You are tough, you can handle this. We will help you.

To reiterate what has already been stated, I am far from being considered an expert but my guess is there shouldn't be much problem coming off a low dosage after only two weeks.

Just out of curiosity, were you taking them for anxiety related issues? I only ask because I was diagnosed with social anxiety and panic disorder and until recently I declined my doctor's repeated attempts to start me on Ativan. I did finally have her write me a 14-day script of .5mg of Ativan to help ease the agitation and anxiety symptoms when I was coming off of meth. It was awesome not feeling constantly anxious about everything but ultimately opted to continue dealing with my anxiety issues without the Ativan after they were gone. If you were taking them for anxiety but are wanting to stop for fear of becoming addicted, the only advice I can offer is to make a plan for every distressing situation. When I know that I'm going to be around people for extended periods I always make sure I have an escape plan in place for when I start feeling like I may have a panic attack. The Ativan definitely does what it's supposed to as far as easing anxiety is concerned, but if you fear that it may turn into a problem, it's something that one can learn to manage on it's own.

Wishing you all the best.