• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Need dental advice

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Anyone have advice for a recovering alky in need of dental care? Years of alcohol abuse and neglecting oral hygiene have left my teeth in somewhat bad shape. They could be worse but I've definitely got some small cavities and tooth decay going on. Nothing hurts yet, but it's probably just a matter of time. Not really sure what I should do as I'm poor and also afraid of the dentist. Kind of a bad combination. Thoughts?

Well, you probably need to face your fears and get the cavities filled. If you don't, they will most likely eventually get to the root and then you'll need root canals and crowns which is far more expensive and freaky to go through. Although they can halt and never get deeper, but you should address it especially if you've noticed the state of your teeth deteriorating.

However, in terms of prevention, I use a good fluoride toothpaste, make sure my toothbrush is not a shitty one and that it's not old and worn out, and I use an enamel rebuilding mouthwash, Listerine Pro health (or Crest pro-health, they're basically the same thing). I brush my teeth and use mouthwash in the morning and night, and I also floss. It's amazing what nasty shit gets stuck between your teeth and that contributes to tooth decay.

Do dentists have a payment plan? I don't even know where I'd start because I only have about 220 dollars left over after rent. My main problem besides some tooth decay is plaque impaction or whatever you'd call it. Plaque on my gum line that won't come off even if I scrape it. They're gonna have to heavily sedate me if I ever get that taken care of. I guess my first thing would just to have a dentist look at my teeth.

Last edited:
You can buy a dental tool to scrape tartar off with, and a little mirror tool so you can see what you're doing behind the teeth.

Do dentists have a payment plan?
Yes, many do but it's bullshit in my experience. This is America, if your insurance (or lack of) doesn't cover it, you're gonna have a bad time.

You can find private plans that will help, but you need to get started right away because most of the basic plans will not cover things like fillings for cavities until 6 months after you have already started to pay them.

What you can do in the meantime:
1. Electric toothbrush.
2. Water pik
3. Anti-gingivitis mouth wash.

You can buy a dental tool to scrape tartar off with, and a little mirror tool so you can see what you're doing behind the teeth.

I think I need a professional or my gums would end up looking like hamburger. My mom said they use an ultrasonic device or something if it's bad enough.

In the US, some dental schools have free or sliding scale clinics. Maybe that’s an option where you are?

my teeth are fucked, gonna need dentures, am only 39 too. in the uk where i live though, if you get what we call benefits and in u.s. i guess would be welfare, we get denistry free. i love the nhs. the bastard tories are trying to kill it of though, so we here in the uk might well end up like the u.s. and be denide free health care.

Recently I started having demineralization even though I'm using a prescription fluoride toothpaste and literally rubbing it onto my teeth so there is a visible layer and leaving it on there as long as possible at night. I discovered it's from taking my suboxone sublingually, it dissolved enamel. In fact there are a variety if lawsuits and some studies done on it. So I started snorting it. Since then, my fluoride toothpaste regimen, along with a water pick/flosser and high quality electric toothbrush (one that uses pulsing rather than spinning), has noticeably started restoring my yellow/brown spots that were slowly getting worse.

Recently I started having demineralization even though I'm using a prescription fluoride toothpaste and literally rubbing it onto my teeth so there is a visible layer and leaving it on there as long as possible at night. I discovered it's from taking my suboxone sublingually, it dissolved enamel. In fact there are a variety if lawsuits and some studies done on it. So I started snorting it. Since then, my fluoride toothpaste regimen, along with a water pick/flosser and high quality electric toothbrush (one that uses pulsing rather than spinning), has noticeably started restoring my yellow/brown spots that were slowly getting worse.

this seems written so violently on purpose. Might know why?

I know that this thread is old but I'll chime in anyway.

I've never had a cavity, but I did have quite a bit of erosion on my front teeth from a combination of grinding them in my sleep (I wear a bite guard now) and consuming too many acidic/sugary foods and drinks.

I found a wonderful dentist who was able to build them up with synthetic enamel and basically prevent me from getting them replaced. That was back in 2016 and they're still holding strong today. I also take much better care of them. I have special fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash that I use religiously.

If a dentist tells you that you're beyond hope and need to get all of your teeth ripped out, please seek a second opinion.

I've noticed subs are fucking my teeth up..a few noticeable cavities, a tooth chipped, and another tooth said fuck u to the filling it had on/in there, popped out somewhere.
Also, receding gum lines from cigarettes..I'm going to have to get skin grafts from the roof of my mouth, just like my mother had to go thru.

"My mom loved valium and lots of drugs. That's why I am, like I am, because I'm like her.!" Em

I've noticed subs are fucking my teeth up..a few noticeable cavities, a tooth chipped, and another tooth said fuck u to the filling it had on/in there, popped out somewhere.
Also, receding gum lines from cigarettes..I'm going to have to get skin grafts from the roof of my mouth, just like my mother had to go thru.

"My mom loved valium and lots of drugs. That's why I am, like I am, because I'm like her.!" Em
My friend has been on methadone and Suboxone for years, and she's missing half of her teeth. She's the same age as me (early 50's), and she insists that it's from drinking too much tap water! :rolleyes:

Maybe I should just go back to snorting my 1 or 2mg dose..I can't stand tooth decay. I used to use this route when I first began taking subs and it seemed to work like a charm but i believe i stopped bc i kept wanting to re-dose.
@Xorkoth Do you ever feel the need to re-dose on your subs when you go this route?
I like to snort my oxy and it was early on when I was snorting my subs so I'm sure I was fine and just "wanted to try to get a buzz"

Either way maybe going back to snorting 1mg subs will make it easier to taper it down and then my teeth can catch a break!

I already have 3 crowns..one towards the back from no flossage and 2 in the front that got knocked out as a drunk bar fighting youngster..

I have a bump in the bone/gum above my Molar 1. It might be an abscess but am going to get it checked out tuesday.
Talked to my dentist on the phone and he said you can get after it with a root canal, extraction, or simply forget about it if it's not painful or getting worse.

I need to get back to the dentist. This might be unpopular advice that is obvious to many, but perhaps it could help someone.

If you live in America there’s a few States that offer poor people quality State funded medical and dental coverage. A good example is Massachusetts, which covers cleanings, x-rays, fillings, extractions, and occasionally bridges and dentures; it’s difficult to find coverage that will cover root canals and crowns. If you find yourself in a situation where your health is destroying your life moving to a State with well funded healthcare might help. I have met people from the South who moved to NY and MA because they needed certain treatments (Hepatitis C, Gastric Bypass, Dentures, etc)

This is something that is frowned upon but what would Darwin do?

It’s been my experience that most employers cover the bare minimum unless you want to pay over $150/month from your check. This might not seem like a lot but it is if you’re making under $25/hour.

I've found that I get no cavities or real dental issues if I whiten my teeth regularly. Although might be damaging enamel, I'm not too sure...