• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Need advice with dexedrine withdrawal

zagor

Bluelighter
What is the best way to taper off dexedrine IR in order to minimize depression and anxiety during withdrawal? I was prescribed 30 mg two times per day 6 months ago for severe sleepiness probably caused by hard-to-treat depression (after abusing oxycodone and switching to suboxone). I got down to 25 mg 2xday for the last 3 weeks but I am feeling that it is wearing off . But when I tried 20 mg it doesn't work at all. I cannot take another episode of severe depression because I am sick and tired of it and don't wanna hurt myself. Has anyone managed to successfully get off this drug?

BTW the reason I want off is, I need to see how my new antidepressant (Trintellix) works....and to try another anti-depressants if needed.

*A bit of history. I have had moderate depression for over 20 years that was controlled decently by celexa. Since 2014 I have been on oxycodone high doses then in 2017 I switched to suboxone and felt terrible for a year. Then I got prescription for oxy again and was one year on it but could never reach any high (euphoria) at any dose. Suboxone has blocked my feel-good cells. Then in January this year I started suboxone again but in much lower doses because oxycodone caused bad akathesia and this time mentally I felt better than before when I quit oxy the first time. (maybe sub is worsening my depression who knows)*

PS. If anyone has a link to a successful suboxone withdrawal as well please let me know

Thanks

This is a topic that pop's up once in a while. And afraid this will not really help you. But none the less I am on 35mg a day. And stopping, or ideally tapering a bit, is bothersome. You'll be lesser then your usual. Calling it withdrawal is an overstatement ime but there are a lot of people on Bluelight who get them like you.

My advice would be the taper, weed if you are used to it and no booze. Mind over matter zagor, easily said by someone that has very little trouble with this animal. Physical exersize would probably help, get some natural neurotransmitter release going.

Then again I get terrible WD's if my supply of herb down to zero. So I am def not disputing that you get them from Amphetamine's.

I feel like amphetamine substitution therapy is going to be a goldmine once a viable alternative becomes available that "lights up" the brain without the foggy feeling and depression after ceasing use. Modafinil is like almost it but the effects aren't quite as "magic" as amphetamine and it still has it's share of comedown issues and cessation fog.

LSD is pretty fucking close to the confidence and performance enhancement when microdosing but isn't suited to prolonged use (abuse) as the tolerance builds fairly quickly unless you're taking a healthy number of days off.

If your at risk of such severe depression you might hurt yourself i would not attempt to taper without a doctor.
I had a suicide attempt and have chronic daytime sleepiness. I take adderall xr and yes in my non medical opinion most people could probably stop taking it and even at higher doses and not have too much of an issue.

However the key is most people. In my opinion we arent most people. Being a suicide and or self harm risk we are in the minority. The important thing is you dont want to hurt yourself NOW. I dont either but once i stop a medication to see what happens i could want to hurt myself and lack the insight in a heavy depression that i should go back on the med and rather the only choice is suicide.

please be careful and if your stoping something to see what happens please be aware you might not be in the state of mind to make the best choices which could quickly lead to spiralling downword. This is why i recommend a third party (your doctor) tapering (while it is annoying and slow) because they can observe things and make choices accordingly. Like if you needed insulin and wanted to see if you needed still with a new med you wouldnt try reducing the amount or stop taking it because if you do need it you could end up in shock and in a stupor or unconscious unable to think rationally and say i need insulin or im going to die. However, a thirdparty (doctor) could see your spiralling and intervene way before you end up possibly dead.

IME withdraw from amphetamine is pretty easy compared to other substances but that’s just my experience and what I’ve seen. I dropped 100mg a day without much trouble but that was nothing compared to benzo withdraw.

IMO/IME, the best thing is just to suck it up and bite the bullet cold turkey if you aren’t taking doses that will give you seizures which it doesn’t sound like you are. Stuff like NALT or L-dopa can help with the dopamine rebound or you could use wellbutrin and then stay on that for the depression.

Bottom line though is I’d get off the opiates first because nothing in your life will get better until that happens.

I haven't told my doctor that I am trying to quit because he will have me taper by 5mg per week no matter how I feel because he says the wd side effects will go away. I was hoping that Trintellix should help since I started it a month ago. I have read somewhere that Modafinil and Bupropion can help. I cannot do weed because Im allergic to it. (It elevates my undiagnosed vestibular OR neurological symptoms that I have).

I can't use benzos either because I rerached tolerence to them. Oxy abuse followed by suboxone fucked me up.

100mg a day without much trouble but that was nothing compared to benzo withdraw.
100mg is NOTHING. come talk to me when you've been eating 1000-1500 daily for a few weeks and come tell me it's easy.
i've wd'd from high dose opiates, have wd'd hundreds of times from coke/crack, have ditched a 2 Litre/day boozing spree, and let me tell ya, the only difference between them all is that, stim wd fortunately doesn't last near as long as downers.

IME withdraw from amphetamine is pretty easy compared to other substances but that’s just my experience
Indeed after a Opiate or Gaba-ergic withdrawal it seem's pretty easy.

My hardest two GHB/ GBL and Kratom wd's felt imparing. G gave tremble's, sweat, pseudopsychosis, elevated hartrate and bloodpressure. Vertigo, shall I continue ;) All this time working my ass off. Client's and collega's looked like gnome's and witches at times.

Kratom is a lot more forgiving. Just like an flu, but without risk of spreading a virus. Did all my choires during that wd too. So imo your in for a walk in the park wd-wise.

One tip don's give into the impuls of easy food only. Try to score or make something decent a few times a day. And Choclate alway's good to have around, In case you feel too fucked to goto a shop. Good luck daily use is a burden I realize, you expect it.

I asked my shrink today about this issue. I said what am I gonna do once the dex loses it's effect? He wants me to continue it for now and increased the ttintellix and said we will cross the bridge when we come to it. He said we will control akathesia with ativan even though I told him I am tolerent to benzos. Hmm....The scariest shit is fucking akathesia which was under control by suboxone but now if I go with a lack of amphetamine the akathesia gets horrible. Tough situation.

Apparently wellbutrin has some amphetamine ingredients but it interacts with my trintellix.

This is my personal opinion but my advise would be to avoid taking any stimulant daily unless it is unavoidable.

It work's way better when discontinued once in a while. From the shrink's I met 2 agreed with me on that, one was neutral and one opossed.

If I go w/o it, the depression hits the roof immediately. Akathisia is one of the the worst side effects if not the worst of many medications. Similar to RLS but much stronger and can affect entire body. People can get very suicidal from it. In my case it gets worst in my thighs and brain.

Trintellix is a newer atypical antidepressent. He also added Rexolti (an antipsychotic) to treat my depression even though those drugs are #1 cause of akathisia.

If I go w/o it, the depression hits the roof immediately.

That's the main problem with stimulant's when you are taking them daily. Not a wd persee but you can literally get so down it is dangerous. If this is your personal exp then do taper as slow as possible. You have an dr. with whom you have a good interaction work with him/ her.

There are some upside's on being undependent of dex so keep that in the back of your head. But as you are on diff med's including a antipsychotic it could be more of a pain in the ass to lose the bit of edge the Amphetamin gave you.

100mg is NOTHING. come talk to me when you've been eating 1000-1500 daily for a few weeks and come tell me it's easy.
i've wd'd from high dose opiates, have wd'd hundreds of times from coke/crack, have ditched a 2 Litre/day boozing spree, and let me tell ya, the only difference between them all is that, stim wd fortunately doesn't last near as long as downers.

Well yeah withdrawing from 1000-1500mg is gonna be harder than 100mg lol.

However I wouldn’t ever take 1000-1500mg of amphetamine a day because I’m not an idiot and don’t want to fucking fry my brain. If you do stupid things you get stupid consequences.

However, this sounds like a case of withdrawing from a significantly more normal dosage and not something extreme like that.

It sounds like you're getting put on quite a cocktail here. So far you have mentioned: dexamph, subs, an atypical antidepressant, an antipsychotic, and a benzo. It sounds like your doc is one of those who throws a lot of shit at the wall at once. To be honest I'd be reluctant to be on so many different drugs at once too and it's rarely necessary. It also sounds like you're getting pills for the side effects of your pills.

I would sit down and speak to the doc about how many of these things you actually need to be on at the same time.

And frankly I am not surprised you are feeling depressed without amphetamine because antipsychotics really fuck with your head and make you feel very sedated in a not-at-all fun way. I also just looked up Trintellix and it has a horrible side effects profile holy fuck.

^Id agree with all of that and I’m personally very against the prescribing methodology in western medicine when it comes to AD’s but trintellix is actually one of the better drugs out there. That an viibryd are the two best IMO