PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Need Advice on Ayahuasca

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperclip7e

Greenlighter
Yesterday I was provided the unique opportunity of purchasing a small quantity of ingredients said to be necessary to produce the native south American drink ayahuasca. At the time I had little working knowledge of the drink. I was sold four joints containing a mix of small tan sticks and some kind leaf that is purple on one side and green (now fading to tan) on the other. I removed the contents from the four joints and poured it into an average sized medicine bottle. Poured in loosely, the contents of the joints almost completely filled it.

After some online research I have come to a somewhat sure conclusion that the small tan sticks were shredded Banisteriopsis caapi (harmaline), but much to my dismay I couldn't identify the leaves, which I assume contain DMT. One problem in identifying these may be that since being dried out these leaves/petals have changed color; the purple side has some white on it and the green side seems to be fading to a tan/beige color. Another is that these leaves/petals have been ground into pieces about 1cm x 1cm so I can no longer know what shape they were originally in. The lines (don't know the technical name; sorry) that run through the leaf cuttings are small. So either they are from the outer parts of a large leaf, or more likely, the leaf pieces are cut up from whole, small leafs.

Here is the procedure I will be using for extraction:

" To start, it is very important to dry and grind whatever ingredients you have chosen into material as fine as possible. A blender, coffee grinder, or something that will do a similar job can be used. If you haven't chosen your ingredients, see this.

Do not reduce any plant material to powder until you are ready to make ayahuasca. Doing so will probably speed the breakdown of active ingredients, causing a reduction in potency.

The water the ayahuasca ingredients are boiled in should be pure (distilled or reverse osmosis water is best). This is because minerals may limit the amount of DMT your body is able to absorb. Water with a pH of between 4.0 and 5.0 is best. Most people add some type of acid (like lemon juice) to lower the pH of the water

When ready add the plant material into the pH adjusted water and to boil for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Do this in a stainless steel pot (ayahuasca will stain materials other than stainless steel) and boil gently. Add pH adjusted water as needed to keep the liquid from boiling off completely.

After 1-2 hours you should strain the plant material through a cheesecloth, panty hose, strainer, or something else that will separate the plant material from the water.

Save the water in another container and repeat boiling the plant material (that was strained out of the previous boiling) in pH adjusted water. Continue this process until the water does not change color when the plant material is boiled. Throw away the plant material when it no longer changes the color of the water

Then mix all of your boilings and gently boil them down to a quantity you can drink. As you boil the mixture, water will evaporate and leave a more potent concentration of ingredients. The taste is very bad (to many people) so try to boil it down to an amount you can drink in one shot. "

This procedure was taken from "http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/aya_01.htm#prepare."

The only other additional information I can think of to provide is that there is a fairly even blend of B. caapi and leaf cuttings. I can't confirm how even by volume and I don't have a scale so the best I can say is it visually appears so. Again, the blend filled a very standard/average size prescription pill bottle.

I tried my best to provide all the information I could. I'll try to answer all questions posted by anyone seriously interested in helping me out.

Now for the questions...

Can anyone help me identify mysterious ingredient number two, the purple and green leaf?

Does the blend seem about right?

How many people do I have enough for?

Is the preparation procedure I'm going to use a good choice/effective (I've had experience with this type of extraction; I once successfully extracted mescaline from San Pedro cactus using a fairly similar method)?

That is all I can think of for questions. I hope there are some Bluelighters out there who can help me. Again if you need any more information just ask. I really want to prepare the ayahuasca correctly and prepare myself for it correctly through meditation, fasting, and picking the best setting for the trip, which for me is outdoors in nature.

Thanks again everyone. Happy tripping.

Noah

:D

Can anyone help me identify mysterious ingredient number two, the purple and green leaf?

Nope, ID-ing things like this is very hard to do online.

The main ayahuasca ingredients are as follows:

DMT source: Psychotria viridis or Mimosa hostilis

MAOI: Banisteriopsis caapi or Peganum harmala

Dosage and preparation info can be found in the links at the bottom of this post and there's tons more in Google.

You say these materials came to you in joints? This seems very strange. Ideally you would obtain these materials from an ethnobotanical supplier and weigh the amount going into your preparation pot. Your best bet is to just type in the latin names of the plants you are looking for into google; no one here can provide any supplier information for you, it's against the rules.

Does the blend seem about right?

Since you didn't provide weights of known plant materials no one here will have the slightest idea.

How many people do I have enough for?

Same answer as above.

Is the preparation procedure I'm going to use a good choice/effective (I've had experience with this type of extraction; I once successfully extracted mescaline from San Pedro cactus using a fairly similar method)?

I suppose it'll do the trick. I tend to shy away from boiling things extensively as I have a feeling heat would partially destroy the active compounds.

I tend to like getting somewhat chemically pure ingredients to minimize side effects such as nausea. If you do an Acid/Base extraction (google is your friend) you'll end up with reasonably pure DMT and harmaline. It's more complex and if you don't like the looks of it, making an aqueous (water based) tea will do the trick, it'll just be harder on your guts. Many say this is all part of the ayahuasca experience though.

Give these a read:

The Big&Dandy Ayahuasca Thread

Erowid's Ayahuasca Vault

Welcome to PD :)

Last edited:
Ok why was the stuff in "joints" first off second if you have no clue there is a simple solution, throw that stuff out and buy from an enthobotanical shop online some known material and work with that!!!

I will also say that your source leaves a lot to be desired. Active doses of these plants will not fit in joints, unless it's a bucket of joints. ;) It's an unheard of way to store things of this quanity. Large ziplock bags are the norm.

If you really want to try ayahuasca I'd advise you look into finding an ethnobotanical source and a scale to weigh the materials (0.1g scale should do the trick). :)

Reminds me of a Psytrance Fest where some guy was selling pre made ayahuasca as a "legal" mushroom trip lol!!! I really wanted to hit that guy after I heard him say that along with the fact that selling such a mixture containing an MOAI to the masses is just plain stupid!!!

I was making a joke about it coming in joints my friend I believe i'm well aware what ayahuasca is and I rarely make such useless posts btw!!!

Yes. I have what seems to be three grams of material when I should have seventy. Well, live and learn. What else can one do? I was very unfamiliar with ayahuasca, but after further research I think I have a much clearer idea and hope to pursue the acquisition of the correct quantity of these materials through the medium of an enthobotanical store in the near future. If any forum moderator is reading this, feel free to close the thread.

Thanks guys and gals.

I really doubt you should be messing with ayahuasca its not a psychedelic for "tripping out" or anything like that and unless your looking for a really deep really extreme experience one devoid of recreational properties then stick with other psychedelics and leave this alone until later in your psychedelic carreer you will most likely thank me when your ready!!!

I agree with d-Dexter on the fact that ayahuasca is pretty serious business. If you are looking for a fun and pleasant experience there are much better options out there. I'm sure ayahuasca would be a fantastic experience when you are experienced with the psychedelic state and are ready for such an experience. :)

You also have to watch what you eat because it uses an MAOI. If you eat certain foods while an MAOI is in your system it can cause a hypertensive crisis. These foods are listed in the erowid link I posted.

paperclip7e said:
feel free to close the thread

I suppose I could do that. This is my first close :D

Closed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.