• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Necessary amount of clean time before Vivitrol?

d00d5557

Greenlighter
I know they say 7-14 days, but i'm inbetween a rock and a hard place and essentially having my arm twisted to get it sooner than later. I will be high tomorrow but it will be my last use before Thursday. Am I completely fucked or will most of the Heroin have had a chance to metabolize and give me not so hellish precipitated withdrawals? This will be my second installment of the shot. I'm just worried because of the amount i've been using the past week that it won't be enough time. I'll have 52 hours max clean time before the shot. Thinking about just not showing up and saying fuck it all because the last time the WD's were precipitated I was truly thinking of offing myself because the pain was so bad physically and emotionally.

I strongly recommend not doing it unless you've been free from opiates for at least a week preferably when withdrawal is over with. I understand being in a crunch for time but I would never give a patient a shot of vivatrol with only a short time being clean the risk is too great.

Talk to your doctor and explain your situation that is your best bet.

Shit I have no experience with vivitrol but I have been in precipated withdrawal 4 times from taking Bupe too soon and that shit is no joke. I would wait at all costs. If I were in your shoes I would, at all costs, avoid the PW because it is extremely intense. That being said do what you feel is right. You know your body. I just detoxed Off a 15 bag a day habit and it's been 6 days and am feeling normal. Id rather deal with that than PW any day... Each time I entered PW luckily my dealer was open. I actually vomited in the car on the way and had to do 6 bags just to feel normal at 1 am. Not a fun time

Don't get it on Thursday. It's going to be real obvious you where lying when your flopping around the doctors office like a suffocating fish. Mine as well just be up front with everyone and push the shot back a week. Maybe check into a detox for 5-7 days then get the shot just to be sure your clean.

No one else? Would basically be on 72 hours since last dose by the time of shot. Surely what was bound to my receptors would have dissapated by then? I know bupe has a much higher affinity which is why i withdrew from getting the shot within 48 hours of my last dose.

^72 hrs isn't enough you'll be in so much pain and feel like your dying but if you want some hellish precipitated withdrawals

So there's no difference between bupe wait times and heroin wait times for the shot? I would like to hear from any who have used then gottdn the shot. I feel the naltrexone still binded to some receptors so i wonder how bad if at all it would be. Don't want to subject myself to this in the name of science but i fear the junky in me gives me no other choice.

What are you talking about "for the name of science" everyone's telling you you're going to have precipitated withdrawals. No doctor in their right mind is going to give you the shot if you tell them the last time you used.

Well no one has any direct experience other than parroting what they've read and heard others say. Half life of Heroin (especially IV) is 8-12 hrs. During which it metabolizes incredibly fast into morphine based derivatives. Not only this but very rarely are affinity disparities between different agonists discussed. It's essentially a blanket statement (don't use opiates for 7-10- days prior) which for all practical purposes is great, but for specific junkie referencing it doesn't cut it. So basically based on my understanding you're fucked if one of two things occur if not both directly prior to receiving the shot. A. Your body is physically dependent and in withdrawals (which Vivitrol will enhance three-fold) or B. Currently you've opiates bound to your MU receptors in which case you'd still be under the influence or just barely so from a recent dose. I seek to outline these things despite the emphasis on HR because in reality this is HR. Very little anecdotal evidence exists on bypassing vivitrol blockade and other such questions like this. It is very appreciated when found and a little nugget of gold. So unfortunately i've lost the battle logically (which addiction is completely void of) and will use tomorrow ASAP. My hopes are all heroin will be metabolized by max 8 a.m. the following morning and what little if any withdrawals will kick in and subside before 1 p.m. Monday. In a perfect world of course, but if that hell is reinstated and i'm whimpering with my tail inbetween my legs (which is very possible) i'll be sure to document it for posterity's sake.

Swim has (unfortunately) had experience with naltrexone whilst still having opioids in his system.

The result is HORRIFIC. To say the least. Swim had been clean for months and was persuaded by his lingering addiction to use again.

So one night, he bought 3 oxy 30's and banged them. He was in a wonderland of dopamine and euphoria, and smoked cigarettes with a grin on his face for the remainder of the night.

The next morning, however, his mother requested that he take his naltrexone. He placed it in his hand, and tried to carefully cheek the medication without his mother noticing. Her cold eyes glared into his soul, and he accidentally swallowed the pill.

Swim felt the pill sitting at the back of his throat, and because he knew of the impending storm he sprinted upstairs and threw up all he could. He was confident that he had dislodged the naltrexone 50mg from his stomach and was going to avoid the doom of precipitated withdrawals.

He was all too wrong.

It hit him like a ton of bricks. He just so happened to be looking in the mirror at the time, and he knew he had failed to dispel the naltrexone when he saw his pupils go from the size of bb's to pennies within a second.

He instantly hit the toilet, first with his rear, then with his mouth. For the next 24 hours his life was a living hell. His sheets were soaked, but he was colder than ever, comfort was not an option, muscle cramps beyond anything imaginable, uncontrollable diarrhea, and restlessness plagued him.

Now, swim is no stranger to opiate/opiod withdrawals and has gone through them completely many, many times; however this was beyond anything imaginable. If regular withdrawal is described even remotely uncomfortable, than this could be described as being burned alive. It was so terrible, in fact, suicide crossed his mind many times.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT even touch naltrexone if you have opiates/opioids in your system.
It will be the most horrific experience of your life, I promise you.

I was clean for well over a month before receiving the shot. My research shows that 10 days is the average time if you don't want to go into PAWS

How have other addicts gotten clean long enough to get the vivitrol shot

Hi, my friend is set up to get the vivitrol shot and all he needs to do is get clean before doing so. He is having a very difficult time and doesnt know how. How has any other person gotten clean for the amount of time needed before recieving the shot? Non-opioids? Thanks

^^if someone can't get the necessary clean time on his own, I would highly recommend going to a detox and getting some clean time comfortably

He did do a detox but couldnt get the shot because there was still things from detox in his system he doesnt know what to do to have nothing in his system he has bad nerve pain and other issues and very little self control

Go to detox and don't take any opiates - including suboxone.

As hard as it might be you can survive 7-10 days without using. Hell, take a shit ton of benzos if you have to... Just stay away from opiates. If you have chronic nerve pain then you probably shouldn't be getting vivitrol in the first place maybe...

OP: How did it go? While your last post was a good argument, it still doesn't change the fact that you are better off waiting. Although 7-10 days is a general guidelines, you are correct in that it is not an absolute rule. But then again neither is one person's experience. If someone on here said they were fine getting vivitrol after 24-48 hours off heroin, that doesn't mean it is true for everyone and thus could lead to a bad decision in getting your shot too early. It is like with suboxone - some people are fine taking it 12 or so hours after their last dose of h while some people need 36+ hours.

Have you ever had precipitated withdrawals? If so, I can't see why you would ever risk going though it again just because you are getting pressured to get the shot asap. I hope it worked out for you.