• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Near FATAL overdose with Tianeptine

Thanks for letting us know. I'm surprised that it's dangerous at that dosage (although I haven't looked at the BA of oral vs IV, they may be vastly different). Glad to hear you pulled out of it fine.

Also, as others have said, IV'ing tianeptine is a really bad idea.

I want to say thank you for the valuable information. I had no idea people were taking TNT (as my friends and I call it) through IV, although i figured it was possible.
I have been using TNT for about 6 months now and what started as appropriate doses has now skyrocketed to doses of 400mg. There are times where I'll take 350mgs then wait 10 minutes and take 300 more and wait again and take another 300 until I've taken essebtially a dose of 1g.
I've had two or three bouts of withdrawal just because I ran out.
So naturally I'm feeling pretty powerless and for those reasons I am working on tapering off. My best friend was an opiate addict a long time ago and became very familiar with the act of tapering as he just recently managed to taper off a suboxone addiction. He's taught me a lot and I've managed to keep my problem at controlled 300mg doses without retaking more and more. But its still a long road ahead.
Now thanks to you I have yet another reason. Along with the destruction I'm causing my liver.
Anyway thanks again for the valuable info. I'm glad you're alive and have dug yourself out of the TNT pit of dependance/addiction.

I was taking this crap at pretty high doses a while back. I was up to nearly a gram a day orally, not that I was keeping track I was just taking 3-4 mountainous scoops using that little 12.5mg scooper. Tianeptine is a very fiendish drug since it has a low duration of action.

I'm sorry you OD'd I didn't know it was possible either, I'm glad I got of that train before I got any worse.

^^^ Yet another faulty assumption. Codeine causes gasping for air and fatal respiratory depression. Marijuana and shrooms are the only rec drugs that cannot cause a fatal OD.

You are seriously gonna die from stupidity if you keep assuming.

First stupidity isnt what that is, it is called ignorance.

Second he was not assuming he simply did not verifying what people might have told him which is REALLY not uncommon, so mostly what he said came from social misinformation (especially about the tianeptine not being deadly).

Third cannabis and shrooms can't kill you but the active ingrediant can, if isolated and injected at the right amount, the only thing that makes them unable to kill is the fact that they are diluted at a level we can't recreate the LD 50 of their active ingredients with them.
In that sense if LSD wasnt semi-synthetic he would gain the same title, it can't kill unless you take 300 times the dose which wont happen unless you think you ares sniffin coke, taking 2-3 big lines of LSD instead so if it was in a shroom or a plant we couldnt OD either.
Theres even a guy who did die from 150mg IV which he thought was speed. There is also a shit ton of other drugs possible, granted undiscovered yet, that can provide psychoactive effect without death related problems.
If he is assuming then you are oversimplifying things and making false conclusions because of your intellectual impulsiveness which can lead to not death but emotional tighness and psychological problems.

Last edited:
Is Tianeptine really an opioid?
Would you say its stronger than tramadol?
Is it any good oral or snorted?

What kind of effects does it give in comparison to traditional as well as synthetic opioids?

First off I apologize for reopening an older post but I came across this post after doing a Google search for tianeptine overdose and I created an account here on BlueLight just so I can post this. Earlier today I feel like I experienced a taineptine overdose from oral use only (the amount consumed was ridiculously high: about 8 grams taken over a 24 hour period but a couple months ago, when I was at my worst in my battle with tianeptine addiction, I used to IV this amount in a 24 hour period.)

First let me start of by saying that tianeptine is absolutely stimulating. I was diagnosed with Lymphoma a little over a year ago (at this time, despite being a former heroin addict, I was using tianeptine in a rather responsible manner; I was even proud of myself for being able to keep my use to 80-100 mg daily for the first several months that I had used it; not long after being diagnosed, being in the depressed state of my mind that I was in, I decided to try IVing tianeptine - I truly believed that I was only going to do it once; just to give it a try - this was over a year ago and despite having up until several days ago when my use again began to spiral out of control, tapered down to a fairly reasonable amount, I am still not out of my battle with what I have come to view as the most addictive drug I have ever come across). So despite having Lymphoma, tianeptine has, over this past year, given me an endless amount of energy - I am able to work out for up to a couple hours daily (maybe due to its cortisol lowering properties) and my cardio endurance when I go jogging is unprecedented if I'm on a large amount of tianeptine. Large amounts also keep me from falling asleep, yet if I'm sick (withdrawing) I cannot get to sleep either. The only reason I feel like I was able to get away with IVing this drug for as long as I had and with the amounts that I had was because I used vaso-dilators (orally) with it (various pre workout pump products including Agmatine Sulfate, Arginine Nitrate, Citrulline Malate, and large doses of Vitamin C and Magnesium. (On a side note, I have not and do not do chemo and have been treating my lymphoma naturally with supplements and have been making great progress; even my oncologist is surprised with the condition that my cancer is in considering I am treating it only through natural supplements.)

So now, it's been close to two months since I stopped IVing the tianeptine (I did finally run out of veins) and have in these last 2 months managed to almost completely get off the tianeptine. As I stated earlier, at my worst I would take up to 8 grams a day through both IV and oral doses throughout the day. About 3 days ago my use again began to spiral out of control and this morning (after a sleepless night, after finally getting to sleep I awoke choking, gasping for air, unable to breathe - to repeat myself, I consumed about 8 grams of the tianep over the last 24 hours, oral use only. An hour or so later I fell back asleep, unable to keep my eyes open, and not long thereafter I again awoke gasping for air, choking, unable to breathe; I am sitting at my computer now, with the fear of falling back asleep, but am having some minor difficulty swallowing.) I too was under the impression that tianeptine, despite being an opioid receptor agonist, was safe as far as OD goes because it wasn’t an actual opioid and did not cause respiratory depression the way opiates / opioids do. I decided to do a web engine search for Tianeptine overdose and came across this post.

To the OP, thank you for posting and thank the Gods (or chance if you prefer) that you're family was there to find you. Thank you for taking the time to warn others about the dangers of high dose IV tianpetine. (After this morning I am convinced that, despite being much safer than tradional opiates / -ioids) high dose tianeptine, even oral use, can result in an overdose. If I had taken another gram or so I am convinced that I may have ODed. Just as with other opiates, my tolerance had been reduced as I hadn't taken that high of a dose in well over two months (even at the end of my IV use a couple months ago I had brought my daily intake down to about 4 grams).

And to all those who criticize, and make comments like "you're the problem" please consider yourselves lucky for not having to ever truly learn first hand how addiction works.

Last edited:
I purchased some pure sodium and would do 200-300 mg here and there, and due to its short duration re dose quite a bit. The rush was amazing, better than heroin in my experience. A few times I puked, and got really fucked up from doing too much. I had a friend over this March and mentioned IV'ing some tianeptine to him, he passed out cold after 5 or 6 shots throughout the night. Totally unresponsive, couldn't wake him. Paramedics showed up and hit him with narcan, woke right up and started freaking out. Definitely a drug that can be od'd on.