• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Natural, Semi-Synthetic or Fully Synthetic - What's The Worst Withdrawl?

muie

Bluelighter
When it comes to opioids they are divided into natural (codeine & morphine), semi synthetic (oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, heroin, etc), fully synthetic (fentanyl, Demerol, tramadol, methadone, etc).

With the fully synthetics IME, they release more dopamine than morphine or codeine which release mostly endorphins and histamines.
Fully synthetics like Demerol and especially fentanyl are almost devoid of histamine release as well as respiratory depression lessening with the semi synthetics, while the clearest manifested in the fully synthetics like fentanyl where respiratory depression, nod, cough suppression, and constipation factor are lessened to a significant degree, especially in comparison to the natural opiates.

Anybody here I think will agree that codeine & morphine give the highest amount of: respiratory depression, nod, cough suppression and constipation. Most people will say that morphine is the easiest in terms of withdrawls, I haven't been addicted to morphine but rather to a combo of codeine & poppy pods, which was okay in withdrawl.

A good example is heroin (semi) vs methadone (full), both powerful opioids and most people will say that even IV heroin gives less withdrawls than oral methadone. Heroin withdrawls (smoking) were on par with oxycodone (oral, instant release) but shorter (then again never used the equivalent of 1g heroin in oxy). Fentanyl withdrawls, after smoking 10mg a day of duragesic gel for 1-2 months daily or 3 months with on and off. Smoking was the most amazing rush I've ever had and I've always been afraid of needles so once I did a hit it, the rush took me to far away places but I went to sleep after smoking the rest of my stash and in the morning had to go to school with nothing (didn't plan ahead). I woke up in a state of near paralysis, like having the flu so bad you can't stand up because your bones are taped to the bed with the most painful sweats going. Couldn't do nothing and mentally complete fog and depleted.

If anyone else would like to join in with your experiences, please tell us the duration of the habit and the method of administration (MOA).

Last edited:
When it comes to opioids they are divided into natural (codeine & morphine), semi synthetic (oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, heroin, etc), fully synthetic (fentanyl, Demerol, tramadol, methadone, etc).

With the fully synthetics IME, they release more dopamine than morphine or codeine which release mostly endorphins and histamines.
Fully synthetics like Demerol and especially fentanyl are almost devoid of histamine release as well as respiratory depression lessening with the semi synthetics, while the clearest manifested in the fully synthetics like fentanyl where respiratory depression, nod, cough suppression, and constipation factor are lessened to a significant degree, especially in comparison to the natural opiates.

Anybody here I think will agree that codeine & morphine give the highest amount of: respiratory depression, nod, cough suppression and constipation. Most people will say that morphine is the easiest in terms of withdrawls, I haven't been addicted to morphine but rather to a combo of codeine & poppy pods, which was okay in withdrawl.

A good example is heroin (semi) vs methadone (full), both powerful opioids and most people will say that even IV heroin gives less withdrawls than oral methadone. Heroin withdrawls (smoking) were on par with oxycodone (oral, instant release) but shorter (then again never used the equivalent of 1g heroin in oxy). Fentanyl withdrawls, after smoking 10mg a day of duragesic gel for 1-2 months daily or 3 months with on and off. Smoking was the most amazing rush I've ever had and I've always been afraid of needles so once I did a hit it, the rush took me to far away places but I went to sleep after smoking the rest of my stash and in the morning had to go to school with nothing (didn't plan ahead). I woke up in a state of near paralysis, like having the flu so bad you can't stand up because your bones are taped to the bed with the most painful sweats going. Couldn't do nothing and mentally complete fog and depleted.

If anyone else would like to join in with your experiences, please tell us the duration of the habit and the method of administration (MOA).

Fentanyl is absolutely NOT devoid of Respiratory Depression. This is how people die from fent.

I find the worst WDs are from the fully synthetics. Tramadol being one of the absolute worst yet probably the weakest.

Tramadol is worse due to SNRI activity making it a much more extensive w/d. It's not about natural out synthetic, but how each opiate/opioid affects the body. Each withdrawal is different because everyone is different and it's as simple as that.

I don't get why people divide drugs into natural and synthetic ones and somehow believe if something is made synthetically, it must be substantially different than natural ones in some unclear way, some people believe synthetic drugs are worse for your health just because they're synthetic and I guess your question suggests you may believe so too... Natural psychoactive compounds are biosynthesized by plants, synthetic ones are synthesized in the lab, though whether a compound is biosynthesized or synthesized in the lab has no impact on its properties, its structure does though. Morphine can be fully synthetic as well but the full synthesis is 20+ steps or so.

Withdrawal from methadone can be subjectively worse than withdrawal from heroin because it lasts much longer and on top of that methadone is a NMDA antagonist, so when you withdraw from it, you're also suffering from NMDA upregulation and increased glutamatergic neurotransmission. Withdrawal from tramadol is also distinct because it has pronounced effects on serotonin and noradrenaline aside from its fairly weak opioidergic properties coming from its metabolite, so when you withdraw from it, it's kind of like you were withdrawing from an opioid and an SSRI at the same time. Basically what I mean is that withdrawal symptoms come from drug's pharmacological activity and not the way it was made.

Right? You already know. Thank you for elaborating on what I said and making it more clear