Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

National Drugs Campaign - Youth television commercials

Monyet

Bluelighter
Hey
For any of you who havn't seen them yet there available at:

http://www.drugs.health.gov.au/campaign/materials_youth.htm

'Ecstasy' television commercial (MPG File 2.7Mb)
Script from the 'Ecstasy' television commercial
'Marijuana' television commercial (MPG File 2.7Mb)
Script from the 'Marijuana' television commercial
'Speed' television commercial (MPG File 2.7Mb)
Script from the 'Speed' television commercial

Ive seen the ecstacy and marijuana add on TV sofar and they seemed to be pure terror tactics.

I tried to download all 3 of the TV ads and i got 15 seconds of audio + video but after 15 seconds all i got was the audio. It was the same for the 3 adds. Is it just my computer settings or are other people having trouble downloading them?

I downloaded them all no troubles. I think their HILLAARRIIIOOUUUUSSSSS

"she gets so depressed on the come down :'( *TEAR*"

take 5htp then you dick. its legal!
(if you order it over the net)

can a person please re-edit the Ecstasy one,

include all the things to stop the reactions
like whent he 'what did she take' part comes up, edit it saying "fuck i should test my pills" and the jaw clenching saying "i should of had some magnesium tablets"

im not sure if anyone else has noticed, but i have seen other short ads on foxtel regarding "<you just wont know what they'll do to you" campaign..

During FOX8s Super Simpsons weekend, they display the trademark chalkboard where bart usually writes some remark at the start of each simpsons episode, with some crap like choose life not drugs...

Also today i saw a wierd half interview kind of thing on FOXSPORTS. It showed pictures of some dude snowboarding and him saying "ive worked hard to get where i am today, ive seen lots of people lose their potential by throwing their lifes away to drugs" - Some guy ive never seen before...

its wierd you pay telstra to watch ads that your taxs have paid for....meh.. : /

^ great post mate. I think you raised some really good points in regards to the counter effectivity of promoting drugs in such a fear inducing sensationalist manner.

i saw the ad for speed last night. it had a guy having a panic attack, thne a girl having a panic attack, then a guy running around the house looking all wired and smashing his fist through a door, with the back ground commentary 'I hate it when he's speeding, he gets really violent', and then some cooks chucking a whole load of crap into their meth synthasis, and latter some girl on life support because she took an unknown chemical.
The problem I have with the ads is due to their sensationalist manner many people are not going ot reagrd the messages that speed 'may' make you have paranoid delusions and panic attacks, and it 'may' cause some people to act in a violent manner. However the ads portray these kind of reactions as the norm.
Also, the points made about speed containing many unkown and potentially very dangerous contaminants are true, but yet agian these are sensationalised. ironically the government could stop this lack of quality control and hence potential dangerous unknown consequences by legalising the substance. I don't think your going to see this point raised in any of the ads though.
I haven't seen the ads for pot and pills so i'll reserve my judgement until I see them.

Justy as a side note pete gasparino- at a rave, I was on some strong bickies for about 11-12 hours and I did end up cracking one of my front teeth slightly, its only a slight crack that hurts only after a night out on the pills. I blame most of it on my love affair with chuppa-chups

Them ads are the biggest load of govt propaganda out and all the bad effects can be counter acted it just breeds ignorence

the interesting thing to note is that theyre directed at parents equally as they are directed at youth (or us, if you like) . . .

theyre definately not designed to discourage use among those who already take; in fact, that demographic is technically a lost battle to govermental education agencies . . .

congrats people, youve technically won the war on drugs . . .

Iv seen em all. The best one is the weed one. Its looks as though they havnt got much negitive to even say about weed. At one point it shows a kid playing AFL and he drops a foot ball and is all "ahhhhhh". I bet all the youth out there is going to go "holy shit if i smoke dope il drop footballs!".

:) Im thinking about giving up weed now on the odd chance il play AFL one day and need to catch a ball id probably drop anyway.

I honestly dont believe the adds are ment to do anything more then allow the government to say "were trying to stop kids taking drugs, see we have a national add campain". I dont know anyone who has quit or planned not to take drugs after the adds.

on the mdma add, at the end why is that guy laying in a hospital bed? what could have hapened?

they should show the positive affects instead. to show a true and fair view of the effects thay got to play sum1 rockin in 1 of the adds lol.

You know, we really should all get into the habit of emailing links to threads like this to journalists.

funny thing is, im actually studying the websites the government is using for the campaign . . . check out the ecstasy section and tell me if thats enough to explain the effects of the substance, or deter individuals from taking it . . .

http://www.drugs.health.gov.au/youth/all_the_facts/fact_ecstasy.htm . . .

i have to be as objective as possible when im doing a textual analysis of the websites, but its hard to block out my own inner voice screaming "youve got to be fucking kidding me" . . .

pete_gasparino said:
What is strangely resonating about that particular part of the ad is...I went to the dentist a few years ago, to get root canal therapy. Anyway, the dentist commented on my front teeth being ground down to the nerves. This was before I had ever taken anything aside from alcohol. Just like on the advertisement, my dentist was talking to me about it, and was very suspicious, implying that I was taking drugs (though subtly enough, because my parents were in the room after all). I told him I didn't know how my teeth were ground down, and to be honest I really didn't, apparently I grind my teeth at night or something. He made me wear like a brace over my teeth at night time to stop it...but yeah, strange, the ads.
I also have/had nocturnal bruxia (grinding your teeth when you sleep) and it is quite common. The issue I have with this ad is that it may not be drug use which has specifically caused teeth wear, but it is playing on the fear of people who do show signs of wear who may think it is primarily cause through bruxia/trisma from MDMA/amphetamines.

imagine the number of parents who notice their kids have fucked up teeth due to nocturnal bruxia and assume their taking E . . .

the wider discourse here is that the government and health department does not trust the general public to make wise decisions regarding drug use . . . and the distrust parents may have for their kids and drugs is growing even stronger . . .

i say we all post the percentage of alcohol related crime (of any type) to the health department every day for the rest of our lives or until they decide to start being consistent and criminalise one of the most insidious drugs the entire worlds socities has ever seen along side all the other "harmful" drugs . . .

if taking care of the genral publics health is really their concern, of course . . .