• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants narcolepsy being treated with Adderall & recent dose increase causing extreme fatigue

Trinabell

Greenlighter
narcolepsy being treated with Adderall & recent dose increase causing extreme fatigue

Hi everyone. So I have narcolepsy dx about 6yrs ago & at that time was prescribed Adderall 10mg-1 in the AM 5-10mgs in the early PM. I increased over time to 1-10mg pill 3 X's daily. Well they just weren't cutting it lately so my DR increased my dose to 20mgs 2-3 X's a day. At first I was just finishing off my old Adderall 10's & taking 2-10mg tabs to equal the 20mg dose & it worked AMAZING. I was focused & not dozing off but then when I filled my script for the 20mg tabs I have had a totally different reaction. About 30mins after taking a 20mg I am falling asleep & feel like my brain just shut off & is completely empty of thoughts. My family has even been commenting that I am speaking slower which to others might seem like a good thing if u knew how fast I usually talk. I often have to repeat myself because I speak a million miles a min. I try to talk as fast as I think but with the 20mgs I guess I am speaking quite a bit slower. I tried breaking them in half so it be like a 10mg dose but I still feel empty & have fallen asleep multiple times regardless of how well I sleep the night prior. Just as I start to wake up a bit its time for another dose. If I skip it all together the narcolepsy acts up so I'm stuck deciding btwn having control to some extent of when/where I fall asleep with the 20mgs or falling asleep uncontrollably & randomly without the Adderall. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it normal? I looked up Adderall side effects & no where could I find where it caused others fatigue. Mostly I found where it overstimulated ppl but i have never had that effect from it. Thanx for any help. I appreciate it

Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate it. Can u tell me what Desoxyn will do? Is it just a different med to treat Narcolepsy?

It's actually very unlikely, but it's methamphetamine in its prescription form. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it worked better to relieve the empty stim feeling it sounds like you are getting.

Edit : Your problem could be the pill concentration and that the two less concentrated ten mg pills didn't hit you as hard. You will more likely benefit from XR adderell if you're already used to the medication. Desoxyn I was honestly half serious about, but it's an option.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/adderall-xr-extended-release-capsules.html

Last edited:
Adderall is strange like that, sometimes I'll take 10-20mg xr and be bouncing off the walls, then the next day I take it I pass out 2-3 hours after my dose. I'd try some potentiation techniques like making sure your stomach is completely empty and taking tums or baking soda 45 minutes before your dose.

If that doesn't work maybe try vyvanse if you can afford it, it's a prodrug to d-amphetamine which is the more enjoyable isomer of amphetamine. You could also try Dexedrine which is just the strait d isomer, it may be more effective than adderall which is 75% d-amp and 25% l-amp.

I take modafinil for fibromyalgia related fatigue. I've had far fewer issues with tolerance and breakthrough fatigue than with anything else I've tried, although I do limit it to days when I have to be at work. Maybe worth investigating?

Diet can also be a huge factor with amphetamine usage, make sure you've got your daily calories/macros when you're using amps, or you'll run out of gas.

Maybe you have ADD or ADHD as well? I've heard that people who have either of them actually can get tired from Adderall/Dexedrine when taken in their prescribed dosage.

When I was prescribed low doses of Adderall/Dexedrine I would actually sometimes fall asleep on it during classes in the morning at school.